How many of us believe "The Truth will set you Free&quo

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.

Will The Truth will set you Free"?

Poll ended at Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:56 pm

Believer
54%
Nonbeliever
46%

Total votes: 13

firebetty

How many of us believe "The Truth will set you Free&quo

Post by firebetty »

in light of Mood Swung's call for Truth, i thought this might be a good place to ask,
Does the Truth set you free?
for me, ambivalence is prevailing right now and it is rather unsettling.
A rope leash

Only if you're curious.

Post by A rope leash »

That's the capitalized "Truth", as in "the actual facts", then? There's comfort in that, but freedom depends on what the true facts are.
SweetPear

Re: Only if you're curious.

Post by SweetPear »

A rope leash wrote: There's comfort in that, but freedom depends on what the true facts are.
I agree. But there's comfort in just knowing the reality that the truth brings. Good or bad it gives the opportunity to deal and that's liberating.
I'm not angry anymore....
girl out of time

Post by girl out of time »

it´s an interesting question....but what´s true? what´s false? is there one and only one reality?
a part of me has always believed that the truth will set you free...altough some other times the truth might imprison you....if you know what i mean.....
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Aside from hard facts, one's truth (reality) is what it's perceived to be. What's true for one may not be true for another.
Life is perception and one's perception of the truth is what makes the difference.
Yes, 1 + 1 = 2
But is the glass half empty or half full? :?

Girl out of Time,
The truth might imprison you (one's perception) but it's still truth even if one refuses to accept it.
I think that the truth, whether it be good or bad can set you free because it affords you the chance to cope and deal with it.
Husband leaves wife and files for divorce. Wife can live in denial and misery by just not accepting the truth or she can accept that truth, deal with it and move on.
Two different outcomes depending on one's perception of the truth.

What d'ya think?
girl out of time

Post by girl out of time »

i think that sometimes the fervent search for THE TRUTH might be an obstacle in your way....specially when you get obssesed by it.
i´ve always tried to see things from different points of view: and then form an opinion. please do not get me wrong...i definitely believe that truth most of the time sets you free...
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

I've found out (the hard way) that being honest & truthful sometimes hurts the folks around you far more than the average "white lie".

Sometimes, you HAVE to lie to save people's feelings, to avoid mental & emotional disaster.

The truth hurts.

:shock:
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
costellopunk

Post by costellopunk »

is the glass half empty or half full? all i know is i don't want to drink what's in it.
-it takes a long time but god dies too/but not before he sticks it to you-
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

FB: Sometimes speaking the truth to people, when you've been holding it back, can indeed give you freedom - freedom from the exhausting measures you might have taken to hide it. It can become tiresome to hide feelings or information and you don't want to intentionally hurt people, but you also don't want to hurt yourself. Even if it hurts people, sometimes you have to be truthful - to keep from destroying yourself.
A rope leash

A Policy of Truth

Post by A rope leash »

Isn't there a song by Depeche Mode called "A Policy of Truth"?

O yeah, just go ahead saying what's in your head. They call the wind "pariah".

Great article in this week's Onion about a guy who goes to a family get-together...

Whatever you do, don't speak truth to power.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

BlueChair wrote:YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
:lol: :lol:
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

yes... if it's your truth first and foremost, not what you may have just borrowed from someone else.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

The Truth ALWAYS sets you free....If you can't live with your own actions, then you shouldn't do it....and if you DO it....then it kills you to keep it a secret.....
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Perception rules. Always has, always will.
A rope leash

Head trip

Post by A rope leash »

But what if our perceptions are factually incorrect? It could be a truth to us, but in reality, it's something completely different.

For example, the Earth rotates around the Sun. But for years, men assumed that the Sun rotated around the Earth, because that is sure as Hell what it seems like what it is from here, where we percieve it.

I don't even trust my inner voices. In the past, I've had vivid dreams that include such imagery as Mary, Jesus, and Budda. It is all so very vague, though, in the end, no matter how shocking or appropriate at the time.

Even if it was a message from The Holy, how do I know for sure if they won't visit when I'm awake? How do I know it isn't Satan? Why would anyone say "I know Jesus is for real because he came to me in a dream"? Don't folks know about the brain's awful capacity to fuck with itself?

Where's Shabbydoll?
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

Torn on this...Truth, in theory, sets you free. But when man comes into it you're more likely to be shunned or imprisoned by the truth, especially when it goes against the party line.

As the lovely Ms. BA said on the old board, 'cuz if you believe that, then the terrorists have won.' Or if you smoke a joint you support terrorism, we live in a world of propoganda, truth has no place in it.
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
A rope leash

Some wise sage, no doubt...

Post by A rope leash »

"...there are lies, damn lies, and statistics."

I forget who said it.

I could not care less in what the average man thinks is the "truth". I'm more interested in the actual facts, especially when someone is telling me that some fanatastic belief they have is "true".

Like, did you know there were Christian saints in the old American west? Millions believe it's an absolute. One was named Joseph Smith, an alias if I ever heard one.

The truth is that they hold so much power that you cannot say it isn't true, because who are you? You ain't got jack. They got big fancy buildings and huge amounts of tax-free cash.

Power is "truth", at least that's a common perception, and people fall for authoritative absolutes everyday. Believing what you want, or what you do, does not make what you believe factual.

Believing everything "they" say makes you a dupe.
SweetPear

Re: Head trip

Post by SweetPear »

But what if our perceptions are factually incorrect? It could be a truth to us, but in reality, it's something completely different.
Well, that's a problem.
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Rope, I agree with what you're saying....
I'd just add...if one really believes...... no, not even believes....like with your example about the sun and the moon......those people honestly thought that it was a fact that the sun rotated around the earth. Their belief in that truth wasn't disingenuous. So how can they be blamed for being bogus with the truth?

And there ya go...that just leads to more truth. When facts change and/or new circumstances come to light, thare's a new fact. A new truth.

Yeah?
A rope leash

I think so.

Post by A rope leash »

No, they can't be blamed, only faulted for taking it as an absolute.

Yes, this is what I was saying about the truth being constant. It may change because we found out different, but it remains the truth.

The hard part is picking the real facts out of the stinking pile of so-called "truths" we encounter every day.

Whew!
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

BLAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

Here's a truth.......

I CAN'T TALK ABOUT THIS ANYMORE!!!!

:lol: :lol:
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Yeah, I'm thinking of deleting this thread.
A rope leash

If 6 was 9

Post by A rope leash »

...for security reasons, of course.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

of course :D