Is it passé to list your real location?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
the_platypus

Is it passé to list your real location?

Post by the_platypus »

Looking at a lot of posters, it seems the majority prefer to add a snappy one-liner, usually from an Elvis Costello song, as their "Location". Am I being gauche by listing my real city and country of residence? :|
the_platypus

Re: Is it passé to list your real location?

Post by the_platypus »

Incidentally, I just hit my iPod's shuffle, and out of the 8000+ songs in it, the first one to come up was EC's "The Town Where Time Stood Still". Is this a sign?
migdd

Post by migdd »

"Rolling in Clover" is an old saying and is mightily utilized in a classic John Hiatt song. Sounds much more intriguing than "Clover, South Carolina, USA".

BTW, there is nothing remotely "blasse" about Buenos Aires, Argentina!
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Sydney, Australia.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

It's so literal, daaaahling! On the one hand I think 'who cares?', but then you read a few posts by someone and are interested to know where they're from. Either way, a straight definition or something more cryptic or playful doesn't matter. Mine is a signal to the initiated that I love Manchester United. I'm not in Manchester, but who cares? I love the idea of a theatre of dreams.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Otis Westinghouse wrote: Mine is a signal to the initiated that I love Manchester United. I'm not in Manchester, but who cares? I love the idea of a theatre of dreams.
Manchester United aren't from The city of Manchester either, he said teasingly...

Ive always given my location as being somewhere quoted from an EC song. I used to change it weekly.

One board member, who doesn't post here anymore, told me she loved guessing these. At least that's one female who I've brought a smile to :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?