Impatience

Pretty self-explanatory
SoulForHire

Impatience

Post by SoulForHire »

I must admit. I do not think I gave North a fair chance when it came out. I got it, listened to it a few times, but didn't get into it at the time. So the CD is somewhere in a closet. Never downloaded it onto my iPod.

However, listening to the London FM broadcast from September 15, 2003, I found that the song "Still" was even better than I remembered. So I went on YouTube to try and listen to the other tracks from North to see if the rest album was better than I recalled, and if so I'd dig through my closet so that North could find its rightful place on my iPod.

I then found this song on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWyKGTKW ... re=related

I LOVE this song, but apparently it is not on the version of North that I have.

I know it was on the UK and Japan releases, but where can I READILY get this track. I did not see on the Amazon.com MP3 section or in the US iTunes.
Neil.

Re: Impatience

Post by Neil. »

Agreed - I think Impatience is one of my favourite Elvis recordings - absolutely love it: a lovely lazy samba, and those strings!

In a similar vein - does anyone know where I can download the studio version of the song 'North'? It wasn't on the UK release.

Nx
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

This song is amazing, indeed. And it seems to me it is strongly influenced by Diana Krall (she has a strong interest in Bossa Nova. She recorded a live cd/dvd here in Rio and her drummer is brazilian).

You mentioned "Still" and I must say that happened the same thing to me. I don't listen to North very often but I saw the music video for "Still" on youtube the other day and I suddenly realized how good it is. "These few lines I'll devote / To a marvellous girl covered up with my coat". It's surprisingly sweet! Love this song!
“Between tenderness and brute force.”

Last FM
when i was cruel

Post by when i was cruel »

Truthfully and I hate to say it but North is a very drab and boring album aside from Still, it just seems have the notion that it wants to make you bored and sad or whichever way you interpret it as. Now it would be very respectable if it had included the two bonus songs 'Fallen' and 'North' also upon first release 'Impatience' should have been on it.
It's not the days when you leave me, but all I fear are the nights.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

'Fallen' was on the original release, for all territories, no?

I liked and got North a whole lot more on hearing it played live. I admit I haven't played it much since it was first out, but I also admit that's the case for most of EC's recent output. 'Still' was always the standout track for me.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
when i was cruel

Yeah Fallen was but there was a solo bonus of it, so I suppose thanks for that point. But certainly Still, I had a relisten today of North and found solace in the song When Green Eyes Turn Blue and one other the escapes my mind. Truthfully I wouldn't say it's a bad album but not great. Now as with Goodbye Cruel World it was very true for me of Elvis linear note that stated "Congratulations ! You've just purchased my worst album."
cwr

Post by cwr »

I have always liked NORTH. But looking back at EC in the 00s, it is beginning to look like it might be his greatest album of the decade.

That's of course a highly debatable opinion, but I will say this: "Impatience" is easily the best Costello song that almost nobody heard in this decade. I know it was a "bonus" track outside of the USA-- which is just plain WRONG, as it sounds totally out-of-place next to the rest of the record-- but he's never once played it in concert, which baffles me.

This would have been a perfect track to play when he was doing those shows with the full orchestra, or when he had the horn section on the Toussaint tour. Or ANY Imposters show!

EC clearly regards the song highly enough-- he picked it for his Pomp & Pout "best of" that may or may not have been released already (I have no idea)-- and it would surely be great fun to sing in concert. I wonder why he's avoided it?
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Three little words for me- lowest common denominator. His song choices for tours often strike me as mercurial, pointed toward that denominator and perhaps not weighted to what he might get the most enjoyment from performing on a given night. He hints at this in the recent interview posted on the thread re: the Montreal concert of the other night.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Otis Westinghouse

'Impatience' never really grabbed me. Bit like 'Almost Ideal Eyes', bit too jittery for my liking. I'm a drummer and I love rhythm of all sort, but not how those ones combine with Elvis, that said, I maybe didn't give it enough of a listening, so will revisit. I don't think it sat with North stylistically and it was therefore a good move to leave it off.
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

when i was cruel wrote:Truthfully and I hate to say it but North is a very drab and boring album
:shock:
when i was cruel

It's pretty boring, it's like Il Sogno
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

I'm so glad you're so very wrong.
when i was cruel

LOL ! Please elaborate
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

Posters much more verbose and eloquent than myself have already discussed the quality of "North" at great length in other threads. Suffice it to say that I don't find it boring at all, nor Il Sogno; I in fact find them both a very thrilling listen, and I wonder if it has to do with my jazz and classical upbringing (unlike, I suspect, most posters here, I actually came to rock and roll at a later age). The arrangements are beautiful and yes, delicate; and in the case of "Il Sogno", actually very dynamic.

True, "North" exists in a much more limited musical and emotional space, but it's meant to convey a very specific range of feeling, as well. I hold it in the same regard as I do Frank Sinatra's "In the Wee Small Hours" as well as Bon Iver's "For Emma Forever Ago"; it is certainly in that vein in the way it explores an emotional journey.

I guess if you're looking for "This Year's Model"s and "Blood & Chocolate"s, then yes, this would be a boring album. But I would hope someone posting in this fansite knows enough about EC not to expect him to churn out those albums over and over again. EC loves classical music and jazz and evidently loves composing in those genres; a lesser songwriter would make an academic, pretentious, unemotional album. It is to his credit that he was able to make something so beautifully human and nuanced in his first attempt at such an album.

I apologize if this post seems disjointed. Right now this hangover only wants a Bergman paced film and the biggest juicy burger on earth.
when i was cruel

Fair, I mean it's not so much that I was brought up listening to rock all the time but until a few years ago I wasn't big into jazz. I mean I love Ray and Stevie and such, obviously not as much as yourself might because I have not been around as long as you which my 16 years on earth could prove. But I've definitely prided myself in eclectic taste but oddly most of this album isn't my favorite.
Otis Westinghouse

Pretty eloquent and verbose for one with a hangover, Platypus! And if you're a native bonaerense and not a native speaker,remarkably natural English too. Interesting to compare it with For Emma Forever Ago and I know exactly what you mean. I love that album, and am also really enjoying the eponymous second. More expansive and less emotionally direct, obviously, but a very good follow-up. I played late in the evening with a bunch of folks round the other night and it just sounded perfect for the moment.
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Pretty eloquent and verbose for one with a hangover, Platypus! And if you're a native bonaerense and not a native speaker,remarkably natural English too. Interesting to compare it with For Emma Forever Ago and I know exactly what you mean. I love that album, and am also really enjoying the eponymous second. More expansive and less emotionally direct, obviously, but a very good follow-up. I played late in the evening with a bunch of folks round the other night and it just sounded perfect for the moment.
Thanks! I'm actually from Colombia but have been living in Buenos Aires for the last 6 years, so I'll take the compliment re: my English. I've actually been very nervous about Bon Iver's second album. "For Emma" is such a beautiful piece of work that I've put off listening to the followup for fear of disappointment. It's silly, I realize, but I can't help it.
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

when i was cruel wrote:Fair, I mean it's not so much that I was brought up listening to rock all the time but until a few years ago I wasn't big into jazz. I mean I love Ray and Stevie and such, obviously not as much as yourself might because I have not been around as long as you which my 16 years on earth could prove. But I've definitely prided myself in eclectic taste but oddly most of this album isn't my favorite.
I realize it'd be pretty condescending of me to say "give it time, it'll come to you", but in your case it may be true. I can't help but feel "North" is exactly the type of album that rewards repeated listening. It might seem morose and deliberately impenetrable at first but, eventually, you just get it, and you find yourself captured by its melodic twists and turns; how it's like listening to a steady heartbeat, how it's heartbreak and ebullience in the same color palette.

Or maybe you don't. And that's fine. We don't all have to like the same EC albums. :)
History History

Post by History History »

Hi WIWC,
Have you heard 'I'm in the mood again' from the Marian Mcpartland CD. It's gorgeous!
I like Impatience but find the recorded version a bit stilted - I bet it would be great live.
when i was cruel

Yes I love that song, it is certainly in my library, have you heard EC's cover of 'Love That Burns' it is probably one of the best songs I have from him, not only in sound quality but so many other factors.
History History

I need to check that one out. It's on the Monkey single isn't it?
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

History History wrote:I need to check that one out. It's on the Monkey single isn't it?
Assuming you mean Monkey to Man (which included The Monkey), no. I think you may be thinking of Love that Burns.
History History

Soulforhire, the Monkey To Man single came in two parts; Part one has the following track listing:
1. Monkey to Man
2. Monkey
3. Love That Burns
4. Monkey to Man (Video)

and part two had just the two tracks: Monkey To Man & The Monkey.

I already had part two but not part one. Went onto Ebay and found a copy of part one which I won!
Looking forward to hearing EC's version of Love That Burns, as I haven't heard it.
Last edited by History History on Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

I did not read the post from when i was cruel that came before yours, History History, when I made my prior post. Oops. Anyway, Love that Burns is indeed great
History History

SoulForHire wrote:I did not read the post from when i was cruel that came before yours, History History, when I made my prior post. Oops. Anyway, Love that Burns is indeed great
I'm looking forward to hearing it!