Elvis and the Imposters play Toronto, 23 June 2011

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis and the Imposters play Toronto, 23 June 2011

Post by Man out of Time »

http://www.sonycentre.ca/Events/Event-D ... ?evtID=425
Following boffo business at the box office, popular demand and press acclaim, Elvis Costello and the Imposters have announced that they will be bringing the Spectacular Spinning Songbook to Toronto.

First unveiled on a 1986 tour, the Spectacular Spinning Songbook is a legendary chapter in Elvis Costello’s multi-faceted touring history, and Toronto fans now get to experience this extravaganza live and in-person. The June 23 concert at Sony Centre for the Performing Arts will now feature all the elements from Elvis’ recent “Revolver Tour” that crossed the USA in May, concluding with a sold out three-night stand at New York’s Beacon Theatre.

The show “revolves” around a giant spinning wheel used to randomly select the evening’s 2+ hour set list from a collection of hits, rarities and covers.... but it is SO much more than that.

As Rolling Stone reported, the evening combines the "...kitsch of a game show and lounge act: a bar, a go-go cage with dancer and an Austin Powers-style hostess-dollybird; his own eye-popping selection of fedoras and sport jackets. When he wasn't singing or slamming at his guitars, Costello worked the stage like a burlesque-club emcee, cracking wise at a mile a minute and spinning a dandy's walking stick...”

Despite the carnival elements of the show, The New York Times opined: "There is, in the end, no way to keep Mr. Costello's songs in any shallow entertainment mode...It didn't feel like show business at all. Maybe that was the real proof of Mr. Costello's showmanship."

The Los Angeles Times called the show “a uniquely invigorating experience that warrants a buzzword all its own: inspiring.”
Anyone here going to this one?

MOOT
bronxapostle

Re: Elvis and the Imposters play Toronto, 23 June 2011

Post by bronxapostle »

i forget, who is our TORONTO brother??? hope you're going. keep us posted from your beautiful city please!
heyhermano

Post by heyhermano »

I believe BlueChair is the main T.O. Elvis fanatic here. However, I'm a very long time lurker and I'll be attending.

When it comes to Twitter, I've tried and I've tried and I'm still mystified, so I won't be live Tweeting or doing anything instantaneous like that. I'll post the setlist and (hopefully) some pics of the mighty wheel when it's all over, though.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

that sounds verdad, hermano! bluechair is the HAB! welcome aboard, glad you've stopped lurking. yeah, i tweet at home, NEVER from a phone. just go and enjoy the show. we look forward to your memories later on. thanks. cheers, benny
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

No real surprises on the wheel:
http://yfrog.com/z/h2gcnqmj

I'm starting to think that "Numbers" jackpot mentioned in the tour program was a joke.

Twitter:
So there's only one dancing girl in a cage at #elviscostello but she's still great. And so is elvis, who began with hope you're happy now.
First spin NOW! and it's.....
Every day I write the book! Nice!
#elviscostello jumped in the cage and danced with first song spinner during everyday I write the book.
Mary, meet Joanne. (audience member #2 and song #2)
#elviscostello just wndered through the crowd to sing Joanna.
Alison the audience member is up on stage, but no Alison the song as of yet. Just broke out the maracas for Turpentine.
"Whatever that was, I take in the spirit of friendship" - Elvis Costello to fan screaming his name b/t songs
Big cheers from the crowd when the wheel lands on "Girl", followed by an "I love you Elvis!"
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

I would've thought the numbers jackpot would be something like

TWO LITTLE HITLERS
5IVE GEARS IN REVERSE
LESS THAN ZERO
MY THREE SONS
FIVE SMALL WORDS
15 PETALS

Or something of the like.
And No Coffee Table

Crowd fave Alison playing now- Massive standing ovation! Everyone's on their feet!
Elvis Costello concert. More misogynistic than a snoop dogg concert. Who knew?
"Diving for... PEARLS!" Amazing sound in this ole' opera house
Audience member Betty spins a joker, leaves the choice up to Elvis Costello. What is this song called? "Cause I'm earthbound…."
About 20 ppl all dancing on stage now & 5th standing ovation. Free for all?
If the tweets stop, it means I've joined the dance party onstage
Pump it up! Headbanger spotted in the front row!
Just went onstage with @elviscostello and sang I don't want to go to chelsea... Bruce mcdonald was there too lol
Elvis Costello caps a 2.5 hour show with... Purple Rain #yes
I was just on stage with #elviscostello. Danced to peace love and understanding. #bestnightever #!!!!
heyhermano

Post by heyhermano »

Setlist:

I Hope You're Happy Now
Heart of the City
Mystery Dance
Uncomplicated
Radio, Radio
SPIN #1 --> Everyday I Write the Book (EC dances in the cage with Simone, the spinner)
SPIN #2 --> I Still Have That Other Girl ("Joanna" slot: EC and Steve, EC strolling in the audience)
SPIN #3 --> Turpentine
SPIN #4 --> Long Honeymoon (EC sings in the cage with father and daughter)
SPIN #5 --> I Want You
Beyond Belief
Big Tears
Shabby Doll
SPIN #6 --> Accidents Will Happen
Leave My Kitten Alone
SPIN #7 --> Living in Paradise
SPIN #8 --> Girl Jackpot: Spooky Girlfriend
Party Girl
Girls Talk
Girl
Alison/Tracks of My Tears/Tears of a Clown/Over the Rainbow
Stations of the Cross
Shipbuilding

ENCORE #1
Slow Drag With Josephine (EC solo)
For More Tears (EC solo)

ENCORE #2
SPIN #8 --> Earthbound
SPIN #9 --> Joker slot, spinner chooses Peace Love and Understanding
Chelsea
Waiting for the End of the World/I Can Only Give You Everything
Pump It Up
Purple Rain
Man Out of Time
I Hope

More thoughts later...
Last edited by heyhermano on Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Fantastic setlist!!
And No Coffee Table

Photos (you probably need a Facebook account to see them):
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... .614167017
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

heyhermano

Post by heyhermano »

Really good show last night. It sounded like Elvis didn't want to strain his voice during the first few songs; he backed off a lot of the more difficult notes and refrained from going all out on the opening rockers. He got stronger as he went, though, and was pretty much hitting everything by the time he ended the main set with "Shipbuilding."

I was thrilled with the song selection--seemed like a good mix of recent stuff, deep cuts ("Big Tears" and "Leave My Kitten Alone"??), and big hits to get the crowd excited. (The only time he rigged the wheel was moving it to "Earthbound.") Toronto audiences have a reputation for being too reserved and it definitely took awhile for the crowd to get into it, but they were appreciative of everything, from the stuff recognizable to casual fans to the stuff for fans like me, the only guy who shouted "Yeah!" when the wheel landed on "Turpentine." Elvis is the master at making every song seem important and the crowd eventually caught on. By that final stretch from "Chelsea" to "I Hope," everybody was on their feet, some dancing, a few even busting a variety of moves on stage with the band! Is this something that's been happening at other shows? The Sony Centre's security guys in front of the stage were warned by Elvis' crew not to let any more people up but several people snuck by on the sides, including one accountant-looking fellow in a shirt and tie who danced like a malfunctioning android. Gave the show a wonderful loose and unscripted vibe.

(I didn't pick up on "Somewhere" in the "Alison" medley but it probably slipped by. I'm fairly certain about the others.)

This was the first performance of "For More Tears," right? It's a ballad that sounded like it deals with the human cost of war ("100 years have passed/A poppy pinned on your breast" and a sequence where he sings about folding up a flag and zipping up a bag) but I don't want to jump to conclusions until I hear a recording.

That's all that comes to mind except for one other thing: his suit was a sodden mess by the time he changed for the encore. The jacket changed colours and his pants were drenched by the time he was doing "Long Honeymoon." It didn't stop any of the female wheel-spinners from putting their arms around him, though.
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

no one was going to complain about the Armed Forces/My Aim Is True/This Year’s Model suite of songs that ensued, including the most polite, middle-aged stage invasion you ever did see

Funny line.

It is a decidedly middle aged crowd at these shows, but I fall right into that demographic myself.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

A Slow Drag With Josephine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HQ_va7q8I4
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Has anyone please e.g. mp3 of 'Waiting for the End of the World/I Can Only Give You Everything' for those of us not able to leave computer on sharing torrent - ta.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
EarlManchester

Post by EarlManchester »

charliestumpy wrote:Has anyone please e.g. mp3 of 'Waiting for the End of the World/I Can Only Give You Everything' for those of us not able to leave computer on sharing torrent - ta.
Here's "I Can Only Give You Everything"

http://www.mediafire.com/?tdvbscojwhrqsqg
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

So many thanks for posting this/I am sure that many others around the world will greatly appreciate ICOGYE as well. I like it/am already aptly sharing your oblation.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Review (better late than never)

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/06/24 ... o-chelsea/

Did Elsie become Nancy? If so, who is/was Nancy?

And who is the new base player?

MOOT