The Sugarcanes

Pretty self-explanatory
Jeremy Dylan

The Sugarcanes

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

I thought it might perhaps be interesting to start a thread discussing the non-EC work of the greatest rock'n'roll band in the world.

DENNIS CROUCH
His most recent project is as part of Buddy Miller's Majestic Silver Strings, along with Marc Ribot, Bill Frisell and Greg Leisz (on pedal steel) and Jay Bellerose (drums). The record has some brilliant tracks, including a juicy version of the George Jones song 'Why Baby Why'. Buddy & Julie dueting on an eerie Ribot/Miller tune called 'God's Winged Horse' and my fave, an incredibly spooky rendition of Roger Miller's 'Dang Me', with Chocolate Genius on vocals.
You can also hear him on several gigillion great Americana records over the past few years, including John/Russell's THE UNION, Allman's LOW COUNTRY BLUES, Nelson's COUNTRY MUSIC, Plant/Krauss's RAISING SOUND, Patty Griffin's DOWNTOWN CHURCH and all the other ones.
If you're ever in Nashville, you should head down and see him play with the fabulous Time Jumpers at the Station Inn.

JERRY DOUGLAS
The greatest Dobro player in the world. John Fogerty's favourite musician. Stacks of session work, a string of great solo records and you should all pick up some of his records as part of Alison Krauss and Union Station. There's a new AKUS record coming out in a month of two. One of the few guys outside of Oz who plays Cole Clark gear (he's got one of their lap steels, which he used for Complicated Shadows when I saw him in Liverpool).
Has a great scarf collection and is also a kickass producer.

MIKE COMPTON
You can hear him on the O Brother, Where Art Thou soundtrack, on Jim Lauderdale's upcoming bluegrass record Reason and Rhyme and on stacks of other records including Willie Nelson's COUNTRY MUSIC, a series of records he made with John Hartford in the 90s and his solo album Mandotasting, which is nowhere near as dirty as it sounds. Started out on trombone, but thankfully swapped instruments, or Hidden Shame might sound rather different.

STUART DUNCAN
Another vet of the Krauss/Plant project, and a volume of country session work that makes Brent Mason look lazy. Played the Grand Old Opry when he was 10 and then again when he was older. Member of the Nashville Bluegrass Band (along with Mike Compton). He's on every Alan Jackson record. Every George Strait record since 1992.

JEFF TAYLOR
He plays piano, keys, accordion, concertina, penny whistles, mandolin and bouzouki. I think a penny whistle solo in Shipbuilding is called for on the next 'Canes tour. Another member of the incredible Time Jumpers, you can hear him as part of a Celtic Led Zeppelin tribute album by The Boys of County Nashville.

JIM LAUDERDALE
The King of Broken Hearts. He's released 18 albums in 21 years, in an attempt to win a bet with Willie Nelson. He's part Sam Moore, part George Jones, a true gentleman one of the finest songsmith's alive. George Strait has cut 16 of his songs, not to mention the Dixie Chicks, Solomon Burke, Buddy Miller and Dave Edmunds. Like EC he's a snappy dresser and inveterate collaborator - he's got some of Faron Young's old suits, a wardrobe full of Nudie and Manuel shirts and has written with Harlan Howard, Nick Lowe, John Leventhal, Frank Dycus, Declan somebody, sung with Keith Richards, Lucinda Williams, George Jones and cut two records with Dr. Ralph Stanley and written three albums with Robert Hunter.
Depending on which Jim you want, there are plenty of options for you. These are some of my faves:

PLANET OF LOVE (1991) has had eight of it's songs covered by other folks. It's produced by Rodney Crowell and John Leventhal and has some of Jim's most enduring tracks - King of Broken Hearts, Where The Sidewalk Ends, Planet of Love, Wake Up Screaming, etc. Straight up honky-tonk record with a Bakersfield backbone.

WHISPER (1998) is one of his most mainstream county records. The title track is one of the most understated and effortlessly romantic tunes I can recall hearing, Hole In My Head is a modern country-rock classic that features co-writer Buddy Miller on harmonies and guitar, and the album closes with his first collaboration with Dr. Ralph Stanley and the Clinch Mountain Boys, a gorgeous ballad called I'll Lead You Home that might be his best recording ever.

Bluegrass was Jim's first love (he started out as a banjo player), but he didn't release a bluegrass album until I FEEL LIKE SINGING TODAY (1999) with his idol Dr. Ralph Stanley and the Clinch Mountain Boys. The chemistry between Jim, Dr. Stanley and the band is electric and the album gets off to a flying start with the title track. Other highlights are two tracks Jim wrote with Robert Hunter, Joy Joy Joy and I Will Wait For You. Got Jim his first Grammy nod.

It was only a matter of time until Jim and Robert Hunter amassed enough material to do an entire album of their co-writes, and it arrived in 2004 with HEADED FOR THE HILLS. To me, this is Jim's masterpiece - an acoustic, not quite bluegrass album shows off his talent of indelible, instantly familiar melodies and rich, tender vocals. Darrell Scott, Buddy Miller, Emmylou Harris, Bucky Baxter, Alison Moorer, Gillian Welch, David Rawlings and Byron House are among the pickers and singers that contribute to the dynamic sonic texture that makes listening to this record such a rewarding experience.

PATCHWORK RIVER (2010) is the other side of the HunterDale partnership. This record rocks. The title track sounds like The Band meets The Stones - on steroids. Good Together is a perfectly pitched R&B song that wouldn't have been out of place on Solomon Burke album, and shows off one of Jim's best vocals. Eddie Perez lays down stinging electric guitar, with Jim Burton laying down licks on a few tracks. It's a perfect counterpoint and companion to HEADED FOR THE HILLS, with Hunter's esoteric homespun lyrics in perfect marriage with Jim's music.

Anyway, those are just my picks. They're all worth a listen, but you will probably gravitate to one or another depending on where your tastes lie.
the_platypus

Re: The Sugarcanes

Post by the_platypus »

I dreamed last night that Jerry Douglas had joined the Imposters on lap-steel :shock:
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

the_platypus wrote:I dreamed last night that Jerry Douglas had joined the Imposters on lap-steel :shock:
I support that dream! If Pete Thomas can be an honorary Sugarcane, I see no reason why Jerry can't jam with the Imposters.
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

Then we all became crime-solving anthropomorphic rabbit teenagers. It was a weird dream.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

the_platypus wrote:Then we all became crime-solving anthropomorphic rabbit teenagers. It was a weird dream.
Doesn't sound that weird. Jim and I came up with a TV show once where he, Fred Eaglesmith, Jason McCoy and Kim Richey were a traveling team of undercover cops masquerading as singer-songwriters called THE LAMINGTONS.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Jeremy Dylan wrote: the next 'Canes tour.
That one is my dream...

Jeremy thanks a bunch for your potted history of the 'Canes and all their works.

Colin Top Balcony
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Is Elvis on Jim's new album ? No other account seems to mention it.

http://www.countrystandardtime.com/news ... p?xid=5495

Moore, Lauderdale release new music

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 – Justin Moore and Jim Lauderdale top the short list of new releases this week.

Moore had success with his debut disc for Valory Music, and he is trying to do the same with "Outlaws Like Me." The 13-song disc includes the hit single If Heaven Wasn't So Far Away. The Arkansas native had a hand in writing 11 of the songs. Jeremy Stover once again produced.

Lauderdale has enjoyed a career as a singer and songwriter. Here, he once again teams up with Grateful Dead lyricist Robert Hunter on "Reason and Rhyme" (Sugar Hill). This a bluegrass disc, something the two first teamed up with on a Ralph Stanley tribute disc. Elvis Costello lends his talents on the disc.

The Greencards changed their line-up going from a trio to a duo on "The Brick Album." The disc incorporates country into the mix.

http://jimlauderdale.spinshop.com/
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

No, Elvis does not appear on the album. Mike Compton does, however.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

And you can see Jim, Mike and Randy Kohrs talk about making it in this little documentary I made on the album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW6c7ni581s
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

John H. posts to listserv-

Just noticed Jim Lauderdale is now on the Live Music Archive.

Two audience recordings are available in lossless flac, mp3, and streaming.

The one from Live Oak, Florida, October 24, 2010 includes his version
of "I Lost You"

http://www.archive.org/details/JimLaude ... ime.flac16
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

Jeremy Dylan wrote:And you can see Jim, Mike and Randy Kohrs talk about making it in this little documentary I made on the album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW6c7ni581s
Very nice work
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Thank you very much sir.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Jim Lauderdale's upcoming UK dates

I suppose that this should be in the Annex as it's not really EC, but thought placement here would get more him more "readers" and so hopefully more attenders.

Wales and North West (1)
NOV 14
Eric's

Liverpool, GB

Great Britain (3)
NOV 13,Oran Mor,Glasgow,

NOV 19,Borderline,London,

NOV 21St Bonaventure's Club,Bristol,

This is a lift from TicketMaster UK' site, I'm interested to see that they list the Liverpool gig separately from the others, goes to my point that this city really is a People's Republic. At this show Jim is due to tread the boards that Elvis trod in the very early years. Erics has recently re-opened in the same venue in Matthew St, (opposite where the Cavern used to be) with the new owners seeking to re-enact former glories.Not sure if I'll be able to go but I'd be interested to hear accounts of anyone attending these shows.

Colin Top Balcony
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Jim Lauderdale: The King of Broken Hearts

Grammy Award-winning bluegrass singer, hit country songwriter, prolific recording artist, radio DJ, awards show host, harmony singer and guitarist for Elvis Costello and Willie Nelson, tai chi master... Jim Lauderdale's journey from banjo-playing Beatles fan in North Carolina to Americana Swiss army knife takes him through the 1980s 'Urban Cowboy' NYC country club scene, playing James Brown covers in a honky-tonk in LA where he was spotted by Dwight Yoakam's producer, failed albums and record label frustrations before country superstar George Strait sold six million albums with two of Jim's songs and put Lauderdale tunes in the ears of music fans around America.

Jim's story is told through interviews with Jim, Buddy Miller, Gary Allan, Tony Brown, Jerry Douglas, Randy Kohrs, Odie Blackmon, Jed Hilly, Dennis Crouch and Mike Compton. It also features performances with his country and bluegrass bands from the start of his career through to recent performances in the Snowy mountains of Australia and Nashville's legendary Station Inn.

Catch the world premiere on Australia's Country Music Channel - Tuesday 6 March, 2012 at 7pm.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

I'm now raising funds to travel back to the US in May with my producer, so we can produce the feature version of the film.

For those that are wondering, there is a section on Jim's time with the Sugarcanes, which includes interviews with Jerry, Mike and Dennis, and an excerpt from the Live at the Artist's Den program. This may even be expanded a bit if we raise enough money to license more 'Canes performance footage - Austin City Limits, for example, or perhaps Montreux.

If you could find it in your hearts (or indeed wallets) to donate some of your hard-earned cash to this enterprise, I'd be exceedingly grateful. Even the smallest donation amount ($5) nets you a digital copy of the finished film.

To donate, go here: http://www.indiegogo.com/Jim-Lauderdale ... ken-Hearts
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

There is also a link on Jim Lauderdale's own site here:

http://www.jimlauderdale.com/jim-lauder ... e-making/#

The counter on the fundraising site that Jeremy's link leads to suggests that the fundraising target has been reached (nay exceeded). If this is the case, this is clearly "good news".

MOOT
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Thank you sir.

It would be remiss of me not to point out that there is still 55 hours left, for anyone who wishes to contribute. To reiterate what I wrote on the film's website yesterday:

With only three days of fundraising left to go, we’ve sold out of another supporter level – all Reason & Rhyme Supporter slots have been filled.

But don’t fret – you can still become a Divide and Conquer Supporter!

For only $200, you get two tickets any Jim Lauderdale headlining show of your choice, you get to meet Jim at the show, where you can get him to sign your other rewards – a copy of his Grammy nominated Reason and Rhyme album, a Jim Lauderdale poster or 8X10 photo and a Jim Lauderdale bumper sticker. You also get a DVD or BluRay of the finished film, HD Digital Download of the film, Access to Exclusive Web Content and your name in the credits of the finished film!

There are other supporter levels still available:

For $40, being a Twang Supporter will get you: HD Digital download of the film, Access to private web content (exclusive acoustic performances, excised clips, etc.), DVD or HD Blu-Ray of the film, Jim Lauderdale bumper sticker, One 8X10 photo of Jim OR one Jim Lauderdale album poster (signed by Jim).

For $25, being a Hole In My Head Supporter will get you: a HD Digital download of the film, Access to private web content, exclusive acoustic performances, excised clips, etc., DVD or HD Blu-Ray of the film and a Jim Lauderdale bumper sticker!

And for a mere $5, being a Tough All Over Supporter will get you a HD Digital download of the film and access to private web content, exclusive acoustic performances, excised clips, etc.

In other Lauderdale news, it’s Jim’s birthday today! We’d like to wish the great man best wishes on his birthday and look forward to many more years of brilliant music from him.

It was recently revealed that Jim will be featured on the soundtrack of the new film about bluegrass legend Bill Monroe. The film will star Michel Shannon as Monroe, along side Olivia Wilde, Ed Helms, Tim Blake Nelson, John C Reilly, Sam Shepherd and Ahsley Judd.

Also featured alongside Jim on the soundtrack album are Dierks Bentley, Ralph Stanley, Keb Mo, Vince Gill and Ricky Skaggs.

Soon, producer Chris Kamen and I will be boarding our flights and heading to the US for the second round of filming – back on the LauderTrail!

- Jeremy Dylan, director
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

10 minutes left on my fundraising campaign - http://www.indiegogo.com/Jim-Lauderdale ... ken-Hearts