Has Elvis Ever Discussed His Weight Loss Publically?

Pretty self-explanatory
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

Initially I was worried about his health, but he seems fine now.
Dieting must be a little more difficult for Elvis since he is a vegetarian. An Atkins-like diet, which helped me loose 90 lbs., would be really tough.
verbal gymnastics

Re: Has Elvis Ever Discussed His Weight Loss Publically?

Post by verbal gymnastics »

He's mentioned in interviews that he goes to the gym.

The combination of gym work, healthy eating and running after the twins must help!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
ahawkman

Post by ahawkman »

I think it's great that he got in shape, but I wonder what he thinks about this line now:

Worrying about your physical fitness
Tell me how you got this sickness
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

Probably very similarly to how he feels about a lot of other lines he wrote 33 years ago.
jonjayharris

Post by jonjayharris »

In the recent New Yorker piece, he said that he wanted to lose weight for his kids. He is healthy and the happiest he has ever been, according to the article. Best, J
jardine

Post by jardine »

weight, 'til i come back to your side. I lost you, etc. i just recall the spectacle episode where he and Sir elton both were desperately trying to not be ejected from the seats they were in. i wish this were an exaggeration. good for him...
Attachments
costello weight.jpg
costello weight.jpg (112.1 KiB) Viewed 18328 times
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

jardine wrote:weight, 'til i come back to your side. I lost you, etc. i just recall the spectacle episode where he and Sir elton both were desperately trying to not be ejected from the seats they were in. i wish this were an exaggeration. good for him...
Wow, that photo on the left is absolutely brutal! - less due to weight than to the grotesque fashion sense that makes the weight look worse than it is.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
jardine

Post by jardine »

being a wee bit "over the top" myself, the thing that is really betraying about that "before" picture is his ankles and wrists. the around-the-waist thing is one type of weight gain, but when the weight starts making your whole lower arms and legs larger, it is a different issue, i think. really glad he got a hold of it. given how large i am at 220, elvis was quite a bit above that in that older photo, i'd estimate...

seems, also, that his loss of weight was quite quickly done. probably why i, too, was initially worried. anybody know the time line?
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Perhaps the fear of some smartass journo dubbing him 'The Walrus Of Spite' motivated all that gym activity...

But how did he come to gain it all anyway? He did quite literally balloon between Brutal Youth and Useless Beauty, to the extent that I presumed it was something medical, or that he'd taken to eating after giving up the booze like some people do after giving up the cigs.
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Paul B wrote:Perhaps the fear of some smartass journo dubbing him 'The Walrus Of Spite' motivated all that gym activity...

But how did he come to gain it all anyway? He did quite literally balloon between Brutal Youth and Useless Beauty, to the extent that I presumed it was something medical, or that he'd taken to eating after giving up the booze like some people do after giving up the cigs.
A poisonous marriage can do weird things to people too. (E.g., delude one into mistaking WIWC for a good record :roll: ). Also, his weight has fluctuated all his life...and 'at a certain age' one does tend to start packing it on a lot easier. So it could be quitting drinking/smoking...could be marital hell...could be just hitting 40, you know.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
krm

Post by krm »

Poor Deportee wrote:Also, his weight has fluctuated all his life....
true, I remember just now how big he was during the bearded MLAR tour in 1991....
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Hi Deportee, yes I remember 40 and weight gain too! I don't think it's quite fair to say 'poisonous' or 'toxic' marriage - they were both grown up and did what they did for each other whatever they did for 15 years or so and in the main part that's their business (I don't mind reading about or reflecting upon some of it though, it must be said). Anyway, our EC's on an excercise kick these days and no bad thing - I should be doing the same but I can't afford the childcare, having kids about the same ages as his (including the grown up boy!).