Elvis at Ronnie Scott's Oct. 28th--win tickets

Pretty self-explanatory
Ypsilanti

Elvis at Ronnie Scott's Oct. 28th--win tickets

Post by Ypsilanti »

On Facebook...
‎"From the desk of Miriam Cooney" Win a pair of tickets to see Elvis Costello launch his new album National Ransom at Ronnie Scott’s Club in London on the 28th October. Fill out the form to enter:
http://bit.ly/9VVxgU
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Re: Elvis at Ronnie Scott's Oct. 28th--win tickets

Post by scielle »

Oh, wow. That's a full 30 seconds' walk from my office!
Anyone know if tickets are available for purchase, or is this a by-invite only gig?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Brilliant - a week's notice. If I wangle a ticket it'll be a case of "trapped between the doctor and the magistrate" as a long term illness takes hold again ! :lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Even if I got a ticket flights between Dublin & London at such a short notice would cost c.€300 so- not happening!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I've entered but as ever I don't fancy my chances.

Depending on details I might go up there and see if someone will take pity on me.

If anyone needs a friend to go with them let me know!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Does anyone know when the results will be announced? I can probably get the day off or go in my lunch break. If I was lucky enough to win a ticket.
verbal gymnastics

I don't know the time or anything else I'm afraid.

Wonder if the Select-a-Tron will have a say in choosing the winners :lol:
millaa

Post by millaa »

I think it's a 6pm thing. There is already a sold out gig that night.
verbal gymnastics

Millaa - that's the reason I think it will be lunchtime.

Unless Elvis is going to act as support!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://markhillary.wordpress.com/2010/1 ... nch-party/

(extract)

On Thursday the 28th, he has a very special and very private launch party for the album at lunchtime in Soho. It’s going to be in the world-famous Ronnie Scott’s jazz club and these tickets are not for sale – it’s press and invite-only.
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

So I just waked by Ronnie Scott's on my way to lunch. Sadly they wouldn't let me in sans ticket.

Perhaps there's still some chance of seeing an EC cameo in Soho tonight though - Mose Allison is playing Pizza Express, just around the corner from Ronnie Scott's.
http://www.pizzaexpresslive.co.uk/jazzList.aspx
verbal gymnastics

So did anyone get notification of not winning?

I wonder if Elvis had a change of mind? Maybe other Elvis forums had a winner.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Terry Staunton posts to Facebook-

.....would like to thank Elvis Costello for 40 minutes of top tunes this afternoon, and for the freebie wine which was considerably a cut above the usual Ronnie Scott's house red.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.spinner.com/2010/10/29/elvis ... al-ransom/

Elvis Costello wowed a select crowd on Thursday, Oct. 28 at London's legendary jazz venue, Ronnie Scott's, with songs from his current recording, 'National Ransom.'

Costello performed a solo lunchtime set to showcase the new album out this week in the UK (Nov. 2 in the US); and despite mainly accompanying himself on acoustic guitars, the veteran artist proved he was still full of vim and bile.

'National Ransom' is the Liverpudlian's most topical work in recent years, which Costello demonstrated by playing the searing title track, which references the financial industry collapse and bail out. More quietly seething was 'One Bell Rings,' his meditation on the killing of Jean Charles De Menezes at a London tube station.

In his trademark fedora hat, Costello also presented the sprawling album's lighter side with numbers that would not have been out of the place at the same city's Café De Paris in the '20s or '30s, most obviously 'My Lovely Jezebel.' In a garrulous mood, the bespectacled singer admitted much of 'National Ransom' was backward looking, "bringing back the good times and the bad."

He also explained the sprightly 'I Lost You' was written in one day while on tour with his band The Sugarcanes, because "we were playing honky tonks where we couldn't do ballads." Costello has been so lyrically fecund that, despite recording a 16-track album, there is enough material left over for an EP dubbed 'National Ransack' that accompanies purchases from his web site. From that, he played the urgent 'A Condemned Man' before tipping his hat and quickly leaving the stage as if his flight had been called.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

We still don't know if any fans won tickets...
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Considering this was supposed to be an event to "launch" National Ransom, the press coverage has been notable by its absence. A lot of papers and magazines had already published their reviews of the album.

Perhaps the weekend papers will cover it, but a google search for recent UK news regarding National Ransom comes up pretty blank. Whoever was there on Thursday, most of them have yet to write about it.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

So do we know if anybody actually won tickets?
Man out of Time

Re: Elvis at Ronnie Scott's Oct. 28th

Short review from German magazine - Jazz Echo published on November 2, 2010:

"Elvis Costellos exklusive Londoner Ein-Mann-Show

Seine unverwechselbare Stimme und eine Akustikgitarre. Mehr brauchte Elvis Costello letzten Donnerstag nicht, um die zu einem Showcase eingeladenen Musikjournalisten in Bann zu schlagen. Auf der Bühne des legendären Londoner Jazzclubs Ronnie Scott’s stellte Costello der britischen Presse das Programm seines neuen Albums “National Ransom” vor, das von Finanz-, Wirtschafts- und anderen Krisen handelt.

Bei dem äußerst intimen, aber zugleich auch sehr eindringlichen Kurzkonzert sang und spielte er insgesamt neun Stücke seines aktuellen Programms. JazzEcho präsentiert von dem exklusiven Showcase jetzt erste Auschnitte. In Deutschland wurde das Album “National Ransom” vom Rolling Stone übrigens schon zur Platte des Monats gekürt."

Or in "English" via Google Translate:

"Elvis Costello's exclusive London's one-man show

His distinctive voice and an acoustic guitar. More Elvis Costello did not have last Thursday to beat invited to a showcase music journalists spell. On the stage of the legendary London jazz club Ronnie Scott's Costello presented to the British press, the program of his new album "National Ransom", which deals with the financial, economic and other crises.

In the extremely intimate, yet also very haunting short concert he sang and played a total of nine pieces of his current program. Jazz Echo presented by the exclusive showcase now first excerpts. In Germany, the album "National Ransom " has by Rolling Stone way already been voted album of the month."

MOOT
Man out of Time

Re: Elvis at Ronnie Scott's Oct. 28th 2010

Man out of Time wrote:Considering this was supposed to be an event to "launch" National Ransom, the press coverage has been notable by its absence.
It appears that there was an international audience for this event. This article by the London based Italian journalist Chiara Meattelli was published in Il Secolo XIX on 30 October 2010.

" «Io provoco? sì, ma non apposta»

LONDRA. Quando appare nel jazz club Ronnie Scott, a Soho, il suo carisma magnetico si tocca con mano. Completo gessato marrone, cappello beige, cravatta a pois viola, basette importanti e inseparabili occhiali neri da secchione: Elvis Costello, in quanto a stile, si sa distinguere. Ma non è solo l’immagine fuori dal tempo, lo è anche la musica. Al concerto londinese per pochi addetti ai lavori presenta le canzoni dell’album “National Ransom” accompagnandosi con chitarra e voce. Il concerto è struggente soprattutto per la voce, uno strumento a sé. “National Ransom”, registrato a Nashville con il produttore guru T .one Burnett e un cast di musicisti come Marc Ribot e Leon Russell, è un’enciclopedia del suono: folk, jazz, soul, swing anni ’50 e rock contemporaneo.

A Costello si può dire tutto, non che si sia accontentato di un unico stile. Dopo quaranta album in più di trent’anni di carriera, riconoscimenti e collaborazioni con Johnny Cash, Paul McCartney e Burt Bacharach, solo per fare tre nomi, c’è chi lo considera un camaleonte musicale: «Dice? Vero. Se mi limitassi ogni volta alla stessa cosa annoierei me stesso e agli altri» osserva dopo lo spettacolo, in un hotel di Kensigton. Si è già cambiato abito e cappello: ora è in versione funky-multicolare. Sì, decisamente cool.

In copertina di “National Ransom”, riscatto nazionale, c’è un lupo versione businessman, in fuga con una valigia zeppa di denaro: «È un chiaro riferimento ai tempi scuri che attraversiamo, simili agli anni ’30» spiega il cantautore, anche se i versi delle quindici canzoni fluttuano in uno spazio e un tempo indeterminati. C’è la confessione di un musicista fallito che si inzuppa di pioggia alla stazione e la Wall Street cannibale di oggi. Quando parla, Costello calibra ogni parola, concedendo un immaginario poetico persino ai banchieri che hanno provocato la grande crisi finanziaria degli ultimi anni. Se non è ironia questa.

Declan Patrick McManus, nato a Londra 56 anni fa, ammette di spaerci fare, con le parole: «Chi altro sono se non uno scrittore con una chitarra in mano?». E pur avendo composto ballate romantiche come “She”, resa celebre dal film “Notting Hill” con Julia Roberts e Hugh Grant, Costello non smette mai di privilegiare temi sociali e politici, ovviamente a modo suo: «L’espressione “canzone di protesta” è stata coniata negli anni ’60 ma non sono sicuro che sia realmente esistita. Credo invece che ci siano brani che favoriscono il pensiero piuttosto che l’azione. Semplificare eventi storici con slogan espliciti non è mai efficace. Le canzoni devono contenere punti di vista diversi come un quadro cubista». La scorsa estate il cantautore inglese si è trovato schiacciato da una polemica, dopo i raid dei militari israeliani a Gaza, per aver cancellato due concerti in Israele insieme ai Pixies, Gorillaz e Klaxons. «Non è stata una scelta facile» ammette, ma continua a difenderla «una volta ero un’idealista, non mi rendevo conto che le mie canzoni, anche senza riferimenti espliciti, fossero in grado di provocare. Ma io non ho mai preteso di parlare di una situazione complessa, come ad esempio quella in Israele, con una canzone. Non è possibile farlo. Non ho mai preso parti politiche, ma se devo appoggiare un movimento, è quello non violento».

L’anno scorso, la sua vivacità salottiera gli ha fatto presentare “Spectacle”, show tv trasmesso in Canada, dove vive insieme alla moglie nonché bestselling cantante jazz, Diana Krall. Nel programma musicale si è trovato a intervistare e a duettare con personaggi illustri: Lou Reed, Smokey Robinson, Bruce Springsteen, Tony Bennett e persino Bill Clinton: «Quando il presentatore fa lo stesso mestiere dell’ospite le cose sono diverse. L’intervistato si rilassa di più, entrambi sanno di condividere stesse difficoltà e interessi. Escluso, per quanto mi riguarda, Bill Clinton: per il momento non sono mai stato presidente degli Stati Uniti».

Costello si è costruito una reputazione per la serietà con cui intende il proprio personaggio e la musica ma anche per un’etica protestante del lavoro: «Vero anche questo. Non vado mai in vacanza, non sopporto starmene seduto senza fare nulla; adoro il mio lavoro e quando torno a casa ho una moglie e due gemelli di quattro anni». Effettivamente suona un po’ curioso ma due delle migliori voci in circolazione sono sposate insieme. Si potrebbe registrare un disco pirata con un microfono spia mentre Costello e la Krall preparano la cena? «Non sarebbe una grande idea. Io e Diana non riusciamo mai a cantare insieme in casa, i nostri figli non ce lo permettono»."

Or in "English" via Google Translate

""I provoke? yes, but not on purpose, "

LONDON. When the jazz club Ronnie Scott's in Soho, his magnetic charisma is palpable. Pinstripe suit brown, beige hat, tie purple polka dots, sideburns important and inseparable sunglasses blacks nerd: Elvis Costello, in terms of style, you can distinguish. But it is not only the image out of time, so is the music. At the concert in London for a few insiders presents the songs of the album National Ransom accompanying himself on guitar and vocals. The concert is especially poignant for the voice, an instrument in itself. National Ransom, recorded in Nashville with producer guru T Bone Burnett and a cast of musicians such as Marc Ribot and Leon Russell , is an encyclopedia of sound: folk, jazz , soul, swing 50s and contemporary rock.

A Costello you can say everything, do not you be satisfied with a single style. After forty albums in more than thirty years of career, awards and collaborations with Johnny Cash , Paul McCartney and Burt Bacharach , just to make three names, there are those who consider him a musical chameleon, "says? True. To confine the same thing every time to get bored myself and to others, "observed after the show, in a hotel in Kensington. It has already changed clothes and hat: now in version funky-multicoloured. Yes, definitely cool.

On the cover of National Ransom, national redemption, there is a wolf version businessman, on the run with a suitcase full of money: "It is a clear reference to the dark times we are going through, similar to the '30s," says the singer, although the verses of the fifteen songs floating in space and time undetermined. There is the confession of a failed musician who drenches of rain to the station and the Wall Street cannibal today. When he speaks, Costello calibrates every word, giving a poetic imagination even the bankers who caused the great financial crisis of recent years. If this is not irony.

Declan Patrick McManus, born in London 56 years ago, admits spaerci do, with the words: "Who are they but a writer with a guitar in his hand?". And despite having composed romantic ballads such as " She ", made ​​famous by the movie" Notting Hill "with Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant, Costello never fails to prioritize social and political issues, of course, in his own way:" The term "protest song "was coined in the 60s but I'm not sure it really existed. Instead, I believe that there are songs that encourage thought rather than action. Simplify historical events with explicit slogan is never effective. The songs should contain different points of view as a cubist painting. " Last summer, the English singer-songwriter was found crushed by a controversy after the raid of the Israeli military in Gaza, for having canceled two concerts in Israel together with the Pixies, Gorillaz and Klaxons. "It was not an easy choice," he admits, but he continues to defend it, "once I was an idealist, I did not realize that my songs, even without explicit references, they were able to cause. But I have never pretended to speak of a complex situation, such as that in Israel, with a song. You can not do it. I never took political sides, but if I have to support a movement, is not violent. "

Last year, its liveliness salottiera made ​​him submit "Spectacle", TV show broadcast in Canada, where he lives with his wife and bestselling jazz singer Diana Krall . The music program was found to interview and duet with famous people: Lou Reed , Smokey Robinson , Bruce Springsteen , Tony Bennett and even Bill Clinton : "When the presenter does the same job of the host, things are different. The interviewee relaxes more, both know they share the same difficulties and interests. Excluded, as for me, Bill Clinton: for the moment I have never been president of the United States. "

Costello has built a reputation for looking seriously into their character and the music but also for the Protestant work ethic: "That's also true. I never go on vacation, I can not stand just sit and do nothing; I love my job and when I get home I have a wife and four year old twins. " Actually sounds a little 'curious but two of the best voices in circulation are married together. You could record a pirate with a spy microphone while Costello and Krall prepare dinner? "Wouldn't it be a great idea. Diana and I never fail to sing along at home, our children do not allow it. "

MOOT (searching the web using Google.it)