Alternate sequence of GET HAPPY!! On CD?

Pretty self-explanatory
The Gentleman

Alternate sequence of GET HAPPY!! On CD?

Post by The Gentleman »

Just posted on another forum:

The confusion regarding the proper sequencing of original LP release of GET HAPPY!! is well documented, and almost certainly the result of some intentional mischief on EC's part. However, I've long been under the impression that the sequencing on the CD has always been consistent.

However, a CD Watchdog item in an old issue (march 1991, itself the victim of a typographical error on the front page that suggests it's the January issue!) of ICE suggests otherwise. According to Todd Tomasic: "Columbia saw fit to master GET HAPPY!! backwards. On the vinyl, side one starts with 'Love For Tender' and side two with 'I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down,' although on the album sleeve they are reversed. Guess what? They mastered it [The CD] according to the sleeve, so it's backwards; press 'start' and you get 'Can't Stand Up..." not 'Love For Tender.'..."

Can anyone confirm this is the case? I know I've tested several copies of the Columbia CD, and they've always begun with "Love For Tender."

Complicating the issue a bit, I know for a fact that at least some of the longboxes for GET HAPPY!! featured the alternate sequence, perhaps explaining the confusion, but Todd certainly sounds like he took his CD out of the longbox and gave it an actual listen!