A Question About the Rhinos

Pretty self-explanatory
Ypsilanti

A Question About the Rhinos

Post by Ypsilanti »

I've been buying the Rhinos, one by one, as my budget permits. I love the liner notes and the bonus material. Last year I got Brutal Youth and was surprised to find the artwork on the disks had been printed incorrectly--the main disk and the bonus disk were switched (if I play the main disk, I hear the bonus songs and vice versa). Last week I got Blood & Chocolate and it has the same problem. They sound fine, but it's confusing.

What's up with this? Seems like a pretty huge error, especially to have it happen twice (and maybe more are like this--I don't have the complete set yet). Does anyone know?
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
And No Coffee Table

Re: A Question About the Rhinos

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Mine are the same way, and there are plenty of other reports of the same problem with those two titles (and only those two titles).
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Ypsilanti, I was fortunate to purchase the individual Rhino double reissues as they were individually released years ago. Never encountered a problem with any of the discs. Would seem there is at least an unfortunate anomoly in the two cds you and the previous poster cite.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
ulfg

Post by ulfg »

My Rhino "Brutal Youth" is incorrect. My "Blood And Chocolate" is correct.
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

Not all the copies are incorrect. I know my copies are fine.
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Thanx Everybody! It's good to know.

I happen to work in the printing industry (billboards, not CDs) and part of my job is quality control. So it bugs me when things are printed wrong. If I let a mistake of that magnitude out of the shop undetected--and then did it again--I'd be worse than fired. I think they'd take me out and shoot me or something.
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

. I think they'd take me out and shoot me or something.
from Ypsilanti
If your colleagues had eyesight that made these sort of mistakes, they'd probably miss !! :lol:
woz

Post by woz »

Wow, and all these years I thought it was Elvis trying to be sneaky. Kind of like when he (and many others) placed comments at then end of an actual vinyl lp. (Forgive me, I forgot the technical term for the space where an album's grooves end and the label begins.)

Cheers.
chickendinna

Post by chickendinna »

I believe it's the run out groove, but I could be wrong
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

Changing the subject a bit, looking at Amazon, it appears from the price of new copies, the Rhino editions of the CDs from EC's Columbia years have escalated in value (most of them quite a bit):

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1268158554/ ... 668&page=1

Are the Warner Brother-era reissues still in print? Most are available at list price directly from Amazon. As a division of WB, it certainly makes sense that Rhino would retain the rights to them after EC moved the rest of his catalog to Universal, but I had been under the impression that all of the Rhinos had gone out of print.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Based on Amazon's listings and checking other online retailers, it looks like they're all out of print, but Amazon has yet to run out of copies of Mighty Like A Rose, Kojak Variety, and The Juliet Letters.

Spike, Brutal Youth, and All This Useless Beauty are still available at fairly reasonable prices through Amazon, but they're all from third-party sellers.