When Thu, November 19, 11:30pm – Fri, November 20, 12:00am
bronxapostle

Re: Elvis on The Colbert Report, Nov.19 '09

Post by bronxapostle »

anyone know where this films and availability of tix please? thanks, b
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Never been to Colbert, but I went to a Daily Show taping a few years ago. It was a lot less fun than I expected. Colbert's studio is in the same building, I'm pretty sure. It's on the far west side in the '50's. Tickets...if they work the same way as Daily Show, which they probably do, you have to request far in advance. So you never know who the guest might be. Also, they apparently pass out more tickets than seats in case of no-shows and you have to line up outside hours in advance because you get seated on a first come first serve basis. And those people have it down to a science--it's a 30 minute show and a 30 minute taping. No do-overs or extra stuff like on Spectacle. The only real "extra" was a 3rd rate comic sent to warm up the crowd/bully everyone into clapping loud. It was all kind of sad and creepy, really.
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Ypsilanti wrote:Never been to Colbert, but I went to a Daily Show taping a few years ago. It was a lot less fun than I expected. Colbert's studio is in the same building, I'm pretty sure. It's on the far west side in the '50's. Tickets...if they work the same way as Daily Show, which they probably do, you have to request far in advance. So you never know who the guest might be. Also, they apparently pass out more tickets than seats in case of no-shows and you have to line up outside hours in advance because you get seated on a first come first serve basis. And those people have it down to a science--it's a 30 minute show and a 30 minute taping. No do-overs or extra stuff like on Spectacle. The only real "extra" was a 3rd rate comic sent to warm up the crowd/bully everyone into clapping loud. It was all kind of sad and creepy, really.

i believe you 100% Heidi and will gladly stay away. but, with all the activity this week, i'd like to see him once.
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Yeah--it's a shame. A bunch of random people who probably requested tickets months ago, expecting to see some author or political pundit, are going to get a huge treat on Thursday. Doesn't seem fair.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

c'est la vie...at least i was at MSG 11-7!!! GOD loves me....
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Well, BA--did you see it? Looks like you are somewhat vindicated. Elvis had laryngitis so he played, but did not sing. Stephen sang "Cheap Reward" and did quite well, really. But I'm sure that would have been disappointing if you had managed to score some tickets and went to the taping.
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

Makes one wonder if Elvis would have been doing the same song had he been able.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Stephen Colbert wrote:it was a huge honor to sing with elvis costello, unless that was one of those elvis costello impersonators
http://twitter.com/StephenAtHome/status/5880827569
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Brief extract here -

http://www.breitbart.tv/explicit-elvis- ... lly-dobbs/

Elvis says nasty things about people named 'O'Reilly' and 'Dobbs' ; there are loads of hostile comments at the above link (Irony alert - I do know who he's referring too).

More can , presumably, be seen here; the video isn't available outside North America -

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2009/ ... -costello/

Stephen Colbert Channels Elvis Costello

By Kevin Richards on November 20th, 2009

Stephen Colbert has never been shy about horning in on his musical guests on the Colbert Report. The comedian, who’s dueted with John Legend, The Moutain Goats, Toby Keith, and Crosby, Stills and Nash, has already established that he can sing in perfect harmony.

But last night, Colbert had his star moment. When guest Elvis Costello appeared to plug the news season of his talk show, Spectacle, his voice was in rough shape, and so what was likely a planned duet turned into Costello strumming the guitar and Colbert belting out the My Aim Is True outtake “Cheap Reward.” And truthiness aside, the man nailed it.

Is that a dollop of country soul we detect in the native South Carolinian’s voice? He sounds a bit like a more steady Willie Nelson. Have a listen below.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

johnfoyle wrote:there are loads of hostile comments at the above link
My favorite is the one about Elvis being great friends with Sean Penn, apparently a reference to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APO4N-PA50Y
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

most i've seen of this Colbert guy since the last time E was on. got to give him his props....very well done. hey, wouldn't we ALL like to sing one song with him once??? :lol: :wink: :o
wordnat

Post by wordnat »

I love it! O'Reilly and Dobbs are complete imbeciles. Now I have another reason to dig EC!
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

I love it! O'Reilly and Dobbs are complete imbeciles. Now I have another reason to dig EC!
Absolutely! And Elvis, as usual, went right after them--balls first. And hit them, not with some halfway genteel curse word or vaguely off-color remark. Nope. He got right down in the muck and smacked those 2 idiots with cocksucker. NICE! Just what Dobbs & O'Reilly deserve. Actually, they probably merit a curse even more foul, but I'm not sure what that would be. I wonder if either of them is stupid enough to try to pick a fight with Elvis--a fake fight, of course--feign offense, create a little media storm, boost the ratings, get a blurb in People Magazine...
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
johnfoyle wrote:there are loads of hostile comments at the above link
My favorite is the one about Elvis being great friends with Sean Penn, apparently a reference to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APO4N-PA50Y
Most of those comments are outrageous. It's scary to think there are so many addled minds out there. Probably why Fox "News" gets such high ratings. The very idea that not being American excludes you from expressing an opinion :roll:

Despite not being an American either, I've had my 2 cents on that forum, I'd encourage others to do the same.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Only thing I've ever seen of Colbert is his Christmas thing and now this. I can't say I find him hilarious but he sings Cheap Reward really well. Thinking about it, the song is quite appropriate given what they were speaking about.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Really enjoyed this even more than the Fallon show, which was also good. Colbert did a great job singing Cheap Reward. It was cool to see EC pull something out of the deep (sorta unreleased) catalog. He looked great and strummed with gusto (ahem). Glad to see Elvis has lost the fat ass. I hear he's working out daily. Good on him. He's turning into quite the sexy beast. Brain and bod are not mutually exclusive.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Thanks to John H. , here's a soundfile of Cheap Reward -

http://www.mediafire.com/?ziy1qyhtqlw
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

So last night...Lou Dobbs is the guest on The Daily Show, immediately followed by a re-broadcast of Elvis on Colbert, calling Lou Dobbs a cocksucker. Coincidence? Or Comedy Central's attempt to stir the turd? Odd that they would re-run a show so soon after the first airing of it, but if they did it on purpose to make a little point, good for them. These megalomaniac fake journalists are running amok in The US and hardly anyone is willing to stand up to them.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://browncatbakery.blogspot.com/2009 ... -2009.html

Friday, November 27, 2009

Colbert Report, November 19, 2009

(extract)

Last week we were able to see a live taping of The Colbert Report.

Because we were the last of the line we didn't get seats but instead stood the whole time. We had a good view of Stephen, but couldn't see his first guest because of the angle. There are TV screens everywhere and it was kind of interesting to see how so many people were watching them instead of the real Stephen right in front of them. They actually take breaks at the commercial breaks to tweak things. Stephen had to do a couple of retakes and one of the breaks was pretty long, so the taping lasted longer than it normally does.

Elvis Costello came out, and he had no voice so he played the guitar while Stephen sang. After that I think Stephen played the guitar and sang (Elvis tried to sing along). That part (and others that we saw) aren't in the actual episode. We both really enjoyed seeing the show live. It was interesting to also watch the final product. Everyone who works for the show was really great and looked like they were having a great time. Oh, and we got to see Stephen out of character. He held a brief Q&A session before the show began. It was a great experience.