Elvis and The Imposters play Aspen, Sept. 5 '09

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis and The Imposters play Aspen, Sept. 5 '09

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.snowmasssun.com/article/2009 ... 19998/1041

Elvis Costello and the Imposters have been added to the line-up of the Jazz Aspen Snowmass Labor Day Festival line-up. They'll perform Saturday, Sept 5, at 5 p.m., prior to the Black Eyed Peas.

Costello, who appeared at the JAS June Festival three years ago with Allen Toussaint, is receiving rave reviews for his newly released alsum, “Secret, Profane & Sugarcane.” It debuted at number 13 on the Billboard chart, the highest position since Costello's 1980's “Get Happy.”

The Labor Day Festival, which takes place in Snowmass' Town Park, also features Allman Brothers Band, Doobie Brothers, Michael Franti and Spearhead and others.

Tickets are on sale now and may be purchased by calling (866) JAS-TIXX or 544-9800.

http://www.jazzaspen.org/p-Labor-Day-Festival-18.html

Main Festival Stage
ELVIS COSTELLO & THE IMPOSTERS
09/05/2009 - 5pm
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis and The Imposters play Aspen, Sept. 5 '09

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone here going?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

what happened here???? nearly 24 hours later with no report? i get spoiled from this www. my wife showed me that steve facebooked he was taking his three planes home to France from Aspen, but that's about all i've seen.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

There's a post on Twitter which says "the guitarist from the Doobie Brothers and Huey Lewis' keyboardist" — which I assume means John McFee and Sean Hopper — joined for the encores.

The Doobie Brothers are playing the same festival tonight. I have no explanation for Sean Hopper's presence.
EarlManchester

Post by EarlManchester »

And No Coffee Table wrote:There's a post on Twitter which says "the guitarist from the Doobie Brothers and Huey Lewis' keyboardist" — which I assume means John McFee and Sean Hopper — joined for the encores.

The Doobie Brothers are playing the same festival tonight. I have no explanation for Sean Hopper's presence.
According to the Huey Lewis and the News wiki, Hopper lives in Aspen.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

was HOPPER in CLOVER?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Yes.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.aspentimes.com/article/20090 ... ofile=1058

Saturday's headliner, Black Eyed Peas, and opening acts Umphrey's McGee, and Elvis Costello & the Imposters — attracted the most people with 9,200 tickets sold.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://blogs.denverpost.com/reverb/2009 ... -snowmass/

We showed up mainly to catch Elvis Costello and the Impostors on Saturday night. The only slight disappointments were a mix that at times drowned out the vocals, Costello’s slightly ragged voice and that he didn’t play longer.

He ripped into a set that featured some newer tunes, but plenty from his older catalog, including from his debut “My Aim Is True” album, such as “(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes” and “Watching the Detectives.” He charged through a 90-minute show that also included favorites “(I Don’t Want to Go to) Chelsea,” “Everyday I Write the Book,” “Radio Radio,” “High Fidelity,” frequently extended with long jams. Give Costello credit that even at 55 and looking every bit his age he didn’t back down from screaming guitar solos and wailing vocals.

As is often the case at festivals, the crowd spent a lot of the set talking and paying little attention to the stage until the nearly half-hour encore that include “Alison,” “Pump It Up” and “What’s So Funny ‘Bout Peace, Love and Understanding.”

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.aspentimes.com/article/20090 ... 19992/1060

Elvis Costello, in a Saturday set, seemed to arrive with some extra oomph as well. Backed by his three-piece band, the Imposters — which featured two thirds of his best-known band, the Attractions, drummer Pete Thomas and keyboardist Steve Nieve — Costello seemed to rise as an instrumentalist, playing surprisingly aggressive, expansive and frequent solos. The show concentrated heavily on Costello's '70s hits, and while it's hard to complain with a setlist that included “Alison,” “(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes,” “Watching the Detectives,” “(I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea” and “(What's So Funny ‘bout) Peace, Love and Understanding?” Costello has written plenty of solid songs of more recent vintage, and it would have been nice to hear some surprises.

In any event, it was superior to Costello's last Jazz Aspen appearance, at the 2006 June Festival, when he was joined by New Orleans pianist Allen Toussaint. That performance was marred somewhat by an awkward sound.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »