Uncut mag

Pretty self-explanatory
Mikeh

Uncut mag

Post by Mikeh »

EC makes a few appearances in this month's Uncut. There is a question about the Phil Collins produced album by Frida (from Abba) which provides a quote from Mr Collins that Elvis provided 3 songs none of which were very good. Coming from Phil Collins that is a bit rich. Anyway, I know EC put forward the track Imperial Bedroom, but I wonder what the others were.

Elsewhere, there is a healthy review of Momfuku "Don't Panic, it's not a ballet or a string quartet!" And a round on EC in a free quizbook!
The Gentleman

Re: Uncut mag

Post by The Gentleman »

This was revealed in the liner notes to the Ryko/Demon Imperial Bedroom, with the other two songs being "Seconds of Pleasure" and "I Turn Around"
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

In the same mag. Todd Rundgren has some nice things to say about Armed Forces which, of course, will have some of us more intense types wondering about Bebe Buell related meanings. I'll post more details later.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Uncut, Oct. '08

My Life In Music - Todd Rundgren

(extract)

The Record That Fills Me With Awe

ARMED FORCES (1979)
Elvis Costello

I have a certain amount of awe for the complexity of Elvis Costello, how he manages to write so copiously yet manages to maintain a level of quality. He has his own quirks and tricks. He also has ways of working in familiar themes so they don’t sound familiar. And he goes into areas that I really don’t have much interest in. For instance, I’m unlikely to ever make a country record.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

There is a question about the Phil Collins produced album by Frida (from Abba) which provides a quote from Mr Collins that Elvis provided 3 songs none of which were very good. Coming from Phil Collins that is a bit rich.
A longer quote from the 1982 Phil Collins interview -

http://www.philcollins.co.uk/sounds251282.htm

(extract)

"To be quite honest, we had tapes coming out of our ears - there was no shortage of songs! But there really weren't that many good ones, and we had Squeeze submitting songs and Costello submitting songs - I only heard two of the three he sent, but I didn't think they were very good! Now, I like Elvis, some of the songs he writes, I think are fantastic, especially his earlier stuff, because I haven't heard much of his recent work . . ."

"Well, he's a guy who I believe what he's doing is good, because he's not an idiot,, he's a very astute bloke, but the songs I heard, I didn't think they were any good, and I didn't think they were good for Frida. And the Squeeze song was just too British - I mean, you can't have Frida singing about life in Clapham!"