Elvis sings Ring Of Fire

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis sings Ring Of Fire

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.usatoday.com/life/2007-02-15 ... OE=LIFISVA

John Carter Cash keeps mom June's 'Love' alive

The only son of Johnny and June Carter Cash is keeping his mother's memory alive with a tribute album and a book, both coming June 19. Elvis Costello, Brad Paisley and Loretta Lynn lead Anchored in Love, produced by John Carter Cash. The album features music written by or associated with June, including Costello's take on Ring of Fire.

"Not every song on the record is one she wrote," says John Carter, noting Paisley's performance of Keep on the Sunny Side and Lynn's rendition of Wildwood Flower, songs that June learned from her mother, Maybelle Carter. "Some are things she perpetuated through the years."

June's daughter Carlene Carter performs the Johnny & June duet Jackson with Brooks & Dunn's Ronnie Dunn. Stepdaughter Rosanne Cash sings a gospel tune called Wings of Angels. Sheryl Crow, Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Patty Loveless and Emmylou Harris are also on the album.

Of the book, Anchored in Love: An Intimate Portrait of June Carter Cash, John Carter says, "I felt that this book was a very healing thing for me to do. … It put me in touch with her and her spirit."
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Ring Of Fire

Anytime I hear this song I keep thinking ,I'm afraid , of this -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainmen ... 498749.stm
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

"And it burns burns burns..."
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
migdd

Post by migdd »

This is one song I can't hear anybody singing but Johnny Cash.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I'm amazed Elvis has the balls to take this on! He must be bonkers.

I absolutely LOVE his Johnny Cash-style song Hidden Shame - superb Cash pastiche, which is still affecting cos of the great lyric, with its twist in the tail - and love Cash's version.

But when you hear the Elvis demo, his (superb and distinctive in its own way) voice doesn't have the same mahogany in it, as Cash's does!

God knows what he's gonna do to Ring of Fire. Reckon he'll try to do anything new with it? Can't really slow it down to a ballad, cos it's too repetitive for that kinda treatment. Good luck to him, anyway!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

This song isn't entirely new for Elvis, since the Coward Brothers played it in concert in the '80s.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Billboard has the news also:
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/art ... 1003546908

Costello, Crow, Nelson Set For June Carter Tribute
June Carter Cash

February 16, 2007, 12:15 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
Elvis Costello, Sheryl Crow, Willie Nelson, Loretta Lynn, Emmylou Harris and Brad Paisley are among the stars appearing on the June Carter Cash tribute album "Anchored in Love," due June 19 via Dualtone. The release will coincide with a biography of the same name penned by Cash's son John.

With the exception of Ralph Stanley, who recorded "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" at the southwest Virginia home of the Carter Family, "Anchored in Love" was recorded throughout 2006 on the Cash family property in Hendersonville, Tenn.

On it, Costello tackles the iconic "Ring of Fire," while Nelson and Crow team up for a duet on "If I Were a Carpenter." Carter Cash's stepdaughter Rosanne performs the spiritual "Wings of Angels" and Lynn offers a version of "Wildwood Flower."

Carter Cash died May 15, 2003, after complications from heart surgery.

Here is the unsequenced song list for "Anchored in Love":

"If I Were a Carpenter," Sheryl Crow and Willie Nelson
"Jackson," Carlene Carter and Ronnie Dunn
"Wildwood Flower," Loretta Lynn
"Far Side Banks of Jordan," Patty Loveless and Kris Kristofferson
"Keep On the Sunny Side," Brad Paisley
"Wings of Angels," Rosanne Cash
"Ring of Fire," Elvis Costello
"Road to Kaintuck," Billy Bob Thornton and the Peasall Sisters
"Big Yellow Peaches," Grey De Lisle
"Kneeling Drunkard Plea," Billy Joe Shaver
"Will the Circle Be Unbroken," Ralph Stanley
"Song to John," Emmylou Harris
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.nynoise.com/artists/artist-elvis.html

ELVIS STOPS BY....

We've had the pleasure of hosting a couple of sessions with Elvis Costello. NYN Creative Director Rick Depofi initially engineered band and vocal sessions with EC for Rounder Records' tribute to bluegrass great Hazel Dickens, which included a duet with Rosanne Cash. Having apparently found our environment reasonably comfortable, EC was back a couple of weeks later for another vocal: Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire for the forthcoming June Carter Cash tribute.

HAZEL DICKENS Bluegrass tribute session: Larry Campbell(fiddle), EC, NYN Exec Pr Craig Bishop, Todd Phillips (bass/producer).

Rosanne and Elvis enjoy a duet ...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... 8766#98766

From account of NY radio interview with Elvis -

Sat Nov 11, 2006

He also mentions that he took part , in the last few days, in a recording session with Hazel Dickens.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

migdd wrote:This is one song I can't hear anybody singing but Johnny Cash.
I've always enjoyed Social Distortion's take on it.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This blog has a Coward Bros version ( c.1985/6) of Ring Of Fire -

http://myoldkyhome.blogspot.com/2007/04 ... -fire.html
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

johnfoyle wrote:This blog has a Coward Bros version ( c.1985/6) of Ring Of Fire -

http://myoldkyhome.blogspot.com/2007/04 ... -fire.html
Here's a direct link to the Cowards version

http://filexoom.com/files/2007/2/26/610 ... ive%29.mp3
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://metrospirit.com/index.php?cat=19 ... 5073588031

Anchored in Love: A Tribute to June Carter Cash

June Carter Cash and her husband (you know…that guy) were without a doubt the first couple of country music. Faith Hill and Tim McGraw can suck my big toe.

Johnny and June survived a tumultuous courtship to become one of the genre’s most beloved duos, not to mention the individual success they both had, along the way inspiring each other to write such songs as “I Walk the Line,â€
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... iscostellh

Amazon.com's review:

Because family values and devotion were so fundamental to June Carter Cash, it was inevitable that this tribute album--produced by her son, John Carter Cash--would encompass the legacy of the Carter Family and her marriage to (and musical partnership with) Johnny Cash. The pairings that revive the June-and-Johnny duets are a mixed bag, as Willie Nelson never really meshes with Sheryl Crow on "If I Were a Carpenter," but daughter Carlene Carter and Ronnie (of Brooks and) Dunn absolutely nail "Jackson" with their rambunctious interplay. Among the other highlights, stepdaughter Rosanne Cash gives a luminous spirituality to "Wings of an Angel," while Emmylou Harris will bring a lump to every throat with the closing "Song to John," a testament to eternal love and the afterlife. As June's signature instrument, the autoharp figures prominently in many of the arrangements, including Elvis Costello's rendition of "Ring of Fire." As for June's legendary lineage, Ralph Stanley's "Will the Circle Be Unbroken," Loretta Lynn's "Wildwood Flower," and Brad Paisley's "Keep on the Sunny Side" all attest to the Carter Family's seminal influence not only on daughter June, but on country music as a whole. --Don McLeese
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

You can hear 30 second audioclips here:
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.a ... 1479&BAB=M
Randlepmcmurphy

Post by Randlepmcmurphy »

This has been adopted by Liverpool football supporters for a while now so as Elvis is from Merseyside i guess its perfectly natural for him to cover it.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.reuters.com/article/musicNew ... 0020070602

Friends and family pay tribute to June Carter Cash

Fri Jun 1, 2007

By Ken Tucker

NASHVILLE (Billboard) - Tribute albums are plentiful. But few display the heart and soul of "Anchored in Love: A Tribute to June Carter Cash" -- "a joyful celebration of her music and her life," according to John Carter Cash, the artist's son and producer of the project.

Carter Cash, the only son of June and Johnny Cash, recorded most of the project at the Cash Cabin Studio in the Nashville suburb of Hendersonville, Tenn. The June 19 Dualtone release features a dozen songs written by or associated with June Carter Cash.

Also arriving in stores June 19 is a book by Carter Cash about his mother, "Anchored in Love: The Life and Legacy of June Carter Cash," from Nashville-based publishing company Thomas Nelson. Although he worked on the book and the album separately, he eventually realized they went hand in hand. "It just made sense," Carter Cash said.

The album, he said, was a labor of love. "Everyone was related to her in heart or spirit or blood or faith," he said of the interesting mix of artists who participated.

Carter Cash said he wanted to record the album "to show all the elements of my mother's musical world. Who she was as an artist that carried on her family's heritage in music, as a songwriter, as a comedienne. I wanted to show her quirkiness and unpredictability."

The songs on the album range from Rosanne Cash's heartfelt take on her stepmother's "Wings of Angels" to Grey De Lisle's mournful version of the strange "Big Yellow Peaches."

On his version of "Ring of Fire," Elvis Costello suggested using an autoharp "in order to focus more on my mother's version of the song rather than my father's," Carter Cash said.

Ralph Stanley's haunting reading of "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" was recorded at the Carter family home in Virginia, and Emmylou Harris sings "Song to John," which June wrote for her husband.

The record also features a number of impressive pairings, including Sheryl Crow teaming with Willie Nelson on "If I Were a Carpenter," Carlene Carter and Ronnie Dunn trading lines on "Jackson" and Patty Loveless joining Kris Kristofferson on "Far Side Banks of Jordan."

"It's very important that (the duets) be in there," Carter Cash said, "because it was so much about who she was and her love for my father."

He admits to some trepidation when the publishing company approached Carter Cash about writing the biography. "I was slow to respond because I knew it would be cathartic, but I also knew it would be a long and painful process," he said.

In piecing together a picture of his mother's early life for the book, Carter Cash interviewed members of his family. "I learned a lot about my mother I didn't know," he said. "I learned a lot about her youth. I learned a lot about her relationships before my father."

Reuters/Billboard
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.nashvillescene.com/Stories/A ... /Press_On/

Nashville Scene, TN

June 7, 2007

A biography and tribute album honor June Carter Cash’s life and musical legacy

by Michael McCall

(extract)

In one of the most surprising cuts, Elvis Costello returns “Ring of Fireâ€