Thinking ahead

Pretty self-explanatory
Branst

Thinking ahead

Post by Branst »

If a Goodbye Cruel World reissue is released at sometime, what kind of bonus tracks do you think it'll contain? Do you think he'll present alternate, untainted versions of the songs kind of like what was featured on the bonus All This Useless Beauty on "The Comedians?"

I do hope Goodbye Cruel World is reissued, I know some don't like it, including Costello but I like it a lot, I think the songs are well written but the production is very dated and not that good and that's the only real downfall.
cbartal

Post by cbartal »

IMO, GCW gets extremely unfair treatment. At the time, people were still waiting for the next Imperial Bedroom.

People were a little startled by Punch the Clock, which IMHO, was great.

By the time GCW came out they thought EC had lost it. "Who does a duet with Daryll Hall and survives?". Even John Oates didn't!!

Despite Get Happy and Almost Blue, even the most ardent fan had certain expectations; some kind of twisted allegiance to "Punk Rock", which wasn't adhered to. Hell, Almost Blue is in some ways the most daring album EC has ever made, but at the time people saw it as a strange departure, or a let down. Geez, I mean Elvis is doing country while The Clash are gearing up for Sandinista?!?

In the end, as always, the songs are what count. And song for song, GCW has more quality songs on it than Spike, Mighty, and dare I say it, ATUB, which I happen to believe is EC's most OVERRATED record.

But what do I know? It's 3am and I'm sufffffficiently lubricated... ...
Danny

Here's hoping....

Post by Danny »

...there are lots of live acoustic solo versions of the songs on the albums. At the RFH the other year in Robert Wyatt's Meltdown, he did a great solo version of 'The Great Unknown' - the first time he'd ever performed it live, he said. It transformed the song! Hope he recorded it for the reissue.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Branst.... Rhino are gonna reissue GCW...see

http://www.rhino.com/news/articles/gstewart.lasso
The Juliet Letters, Goodbye Cruel World, and an expanded Taking Liberties won’t be part of a group, because they each stand on their own.
I don't believe the 'won't be part of a group' thing though, three seperate advertising budgets?!?! I reckon they'll all come out August next year, after the March reissues. I guess an even bigger mystery is what they'll put on the ressiued version of Taking Liberties/The Man.

Incidentally...I used to live in Omaha in 1992 when I was 11, I lived on Applewood Heights and went to Hitchcock Elementary school for one year of my life! What a coinky-dink! Do you know of those places?
A rope leash

Behind the Kellogg's plant

Post by A rope leash »

In Omaha, boxes of corn flakes are full to the top. The contents to not get a chance to "settle".

I lived there during the time that Brutal Youth was released. During major Nebraska football games, one can literally walk off with the entire contents of the state, and no one would notice, so long as the televisions are left alone.

Matthew Sweet is one of the best things to ever come out of Nebraska. Whatever happened to him?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

He's in The Thorns, a "supergroup" with Pete Droge and Shawn Mullins that released their first self-titled album this year.
A rope leash

O yeah!

Post by A rope leash »

I've heard of The Thorns, but I didn't know who was in the band.

Thanks Blue!
Branst

Post by Branst »

laughingcrow wrote: I don't believe the 'won't be part of a group' thing though, three seperate advertising budgets?!?! I reckon they'll all come out August next year, after the March reissues. I guess an even bigger mystery is what they'll put on the ressiued version of Taking Liberties/The Man.

Incidentally...I used to live in Omaha in 1992 when I was 11, I lived on Applewood Heights and went to Hitchcock Elementary school for one year of my life! What a coinky-dink! Do you know of those places?
March reissues?? That's sooner than I thought the next reissues batch was going to come out. I don't even have Kojak Variety or Almost Blue so that'll be an even bigger treat for me.

I know where Applewood Heights is, it's about a mile or two from where I live. My aunt actually used to live near or in Applewood Heights. Not too sure about Hitchcock Elementary school, I haven't heard of it.
the poisoner

Post by the poisoner »

And song for song, GCW has more quality songs on it than Spike, Mighty, and dare I say it, ATUB,
that is a bold statement
i might give you 'atub' but mighty is full of quality songs and spike is lousy with them, especuially on the first side.
i,too, like 'gcw' i just would not go that far.

i think 'gcw's reissue would be spectacular if it was solely updated alternate versions of the original. like deportee (the new version) is a top 10 in my book. i do not know if anything can help 'not the only flame in town'
oh, i useta be disgusted
now i try to be amused
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Well don't hold your breath for the March reissues, the last 2 years have seen around that time being a reissue point so I'm making an educated guess.

Did everyone read that thing on costellonews about the singles box set? Sounds cool................ I'd love it if they did the singles like they're reissuing the Led Zep albums, in the vinyl-cover replicas.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

What's the difference between The Thorns and The Eagles?
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

The Eagles were formed in the early 70's and sold lots and lots of records (including a Greatest Hits album which is the biggest selling album of all-time). They consistantly reunite claiming it to be the last time they will ever play together. They are referenced in a very funny scene in The Big Lebowski.

The Thorns only have one album to their name, and aside from a video that plays on VH1 fairly often, have yet to hit it big. They are not referenced in any feature films, and do not contain Joe Walsh.
A rope leash

Got any gum?

Post by A rope leash »

I'm not sure if anything could actually "contain" Joe Walsh.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Yes Joe Walsh's particles mix and mingle between all of us, uniting humanity in one stupid mess.
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Ringo contained Joe Walsh for a while.