Are you enlisted in the KISS Army?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
ice nine

Are you enlisted in the KISS Army?

Post by ice nine »

Upon my father's death, I inherited his stereo system (with turntable), his classical musical album collection, and my adolescent album collection. As I type this I am getting reaquainted with the classic album by KISS, Destroyer. Other classic KISS albums I own are: Love Gun - a great title; Alive; Alive II; and Rock & Roll Over.

I was not a member of the KISS army myself and I never saw them in concert. Is anyone here a member or has ever been a member?
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Kiss was a small guilty pleasure, I never really liked any of their songs that much but I do enjoy listening to some still. The KISS army was very noticable in my school during the terrible Psycho Circus thingamajig, but other than that I haven't seen a single trace of them.

No, I was a member of the BAJS army myself (shit (pardon the pun, that probably only King Hoarse will understand)) joke that probably only King Hoarse will understand).
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

No, but I once went to work on Halloween with my face painted ala Gene Simmons, complete with blood on my tongue - much to the confusion of my co-workers.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

I was never a KISS Army type but did see them January 29, 1983. Thanks to the KISS Concert list (http://www.kissfaq.com/tourdates/tourdates.html) for refreshing my memory. The Round House as it was known before a large donor stepped in had only been open a few months. I distinctly recall their overhead "speakers" exploding. Very cool show.

The Round House had a lot of good shows in those early years. Now a 10,000 seat arena just doesn't cut it anymore.

One of the Classic Rock stations here in town has a few KISS songs on their playlist. Detroit Rock City pops up every now and then.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I enjoy reading their interviews and their stories as opposed to their music.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

I don't have much opinion one way or the other about KISS, but may I say, I think Gene Simmons is the current frontrunner for the next Robin Williams LookAtMeLookAtMeLookAtMe Pathos Award. A self-stroking autobiography a few years ago, two current TV shows about himself, etc. Dude, no one cares anymore. Give it up.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Chrille wrote:Kiss was a small guilty pleasure, I never really liked any of their songs that much but I do enjoy listening to some still. The KISS army was very noticable in my school during the terrible Psycho Circus thingamajig, but other than that I haven't seen a single trace of them.

No, I was a member of the BAJS army myself (shit (pardon the pun, that probably only King Hoarse will understand)) joke that probably only King Hoarse will understand).
I was in the Bajs Army too some 23 years ago. Glad to see another member on here.

I'm not sure it would be possible to get into Kiss if you're over ten years old and not Randy Newman, who was listening to his kids' records and apparently worked out his own version of Great Expectations (from Destroyer). I think he only played it 'round the house, though. If only Pixar/Dreamworks/etc comes up with an animated rock star story that should be in it.

I bought the first 20 Kiss albums when I was nine (in '84) and sold them again the year after when they released the terrible Asylum. Very intense fling that was.

Starting out, they were as prolific as Elvis. Between '74 & '77 they released 6 original albums and 2 double live sets (both much overdubbed and still not tight!). A new one every six months and constant touring. There's definitely stuff on those for one really good comp cd:

1. Detroit Rock City
2. Cold Gin
3. Ladies Room
4. Baby Driver
5. Shock Me
6. Strutter
7. Calling dr Love
8. Christine Sixteen
9. I Stole Your Love
10. God Of Thunder
11. Great Expectations
12. Shout It Out Loud
13. Beth
14. C'mon & Love Me
15. Parasite
16. Goin' Blind
17. Let Me Know
18. Black Diamond
19. Hard Luck Woman (which is a Maggie May ripoff)
20. Love Gun
21. All The Way
22. Rock'n'Roll All Nite
What this world needs is more silly men.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

King Hoarse wrote:I'm not sure it would be possible to get into Kiss if you're over ten years old and not Randy Newman
Not that I did (I loved them when I was eight), but I've always found KISS to be an interesting study and reference point because they are a reminder of so many basic things that a lot of music acts/performers seem to overlook about entertainment.

what about -
Do You Love Me
Plaster Caster
King Of The Nighttime World

I have about as much desire to hear Kiss nowadays as I do to put on a trashy old horror movie -- close to none -- but would enjoy aspects of both if they were on.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Those three would make the top 25 actually.

I really love Nirvana's cover of Do You Love Me? The original suffers from comparison. I also love the the way King of the Nighttime World starts off without bass and its bombasstic arrival for the chorus but then it doesn't really go anywhere. Plaster Caster is funny but the backing vocals annoy me. (not as horrible as the "Take Me" chorus, but still...out of the list)

PS. Kiss Alive is surely the worst live album ever released. An insane amount of overdubs and it's still not even close to being tight. Just listen to the drums on Nothing To Lose...(as if anyone would want to). Then they release Alive II which not only includes a studio side largely played by session musicians but several concert tracks they never actually played in concert until after that release. But they did cough up blood and shoot rockets from their guitars, so i still like them.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Did you ever take a close look at the rear cover of Alive? It looks more like a Led Zeppelin crowd to me.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

That's from their first big support gig, in Detroit or close, on the back of the C'mon & Love Me 7", which was a hit locally. I forget who they supported.