Costello tourism

Pretty self-explanatory
Neil.

Costello tourism

Post by Neil. »

Hi guys,

I moved to West London recently, and on Saturday had to pop into my nearest supermarket - which is the Hoover Factory factory made famous by Elvis.

In '78 (or whenever the song was written) I presume it was a sad, deserted, cobwebby listed building, but Tesco, the highstreet-guzzling supermarket chain, took it over a few years ago with an order to preserve its architectural features.

It is indeed the art deco delight descibed in the song - beautiful 30s styling, with mint green trim and "scrolls and inscriptions like those of the Egyptian age" (Well, not quite, but I know what he was getting at).

It looks particularly stunning lit up at night from the Western Avenue - or you can see the back of it (slightly less impressive) from the elevated Central Line tube. Don't know what Elvis would make of it being a Tesco, tho...

So what other landmarks could people see on a Costello tour? Real places I mean.

You could stay at a Hammersmith hotel, in the evening attending a gig at the Hammersmith Palais, and after a particularly heavy night you may wake up suffering from the Hell Or To Hammersmith Blues...
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

I really hate supermarket shopping, but to pass the time I choose the next item I see and try to link it to an Elvis song. It's good fun. So, for example, you see the wine "and they gave me rose wine" from Uncomplicated. The fruit aisle, oranges, "tart and the flavour is tart." The DIY aisle "I want to varnish" (sorry about that one.) Well, it keeps me amused anyway.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Mikeh wrote:Well, it keeps me amused anyway.
I think you need to develop your personal skills :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?