More TUBE goodies

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Actually Desperate Housewives was much better therapy. It's so over the top, I laugh from start to finish. Love it. And then a programme about compulsive hoarders made me feel my very low grade fondness for a little bit of STUFF around me wasn't such a bad thing after all, and maybe even redeemed me in my wife's eyes somewhat (though needless to say she immediately saw me on some sort of specrum with these weirdos...). So I managed to take my mind well and truly off football, before I made the mistake of coming back HERE!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
Gillibeanz wrote:Am I the only one who thinks the above is gross? Who told the woman she could sing?... and what is it with Elvis partnering women who sound like drunken old hags on a karaoke night out???? YUCK!!! :roll:
Yes, you probably are.

I imagine lots of people have told her she can sing very well, she also writes good songs.

You appear to have issues with Elvis sharing the studio/stage with any other female. Jealousy issues? Or maybe you have a warped hatred of female American singers.
I knew someone would take the bait. Sorry not jealousy issues , or hatred of female American singers - dear old Elvis can share the stage with any female he likes ....as long as she can sing. Guess Im not one to 'oooh and aaah' at a singer I dont like just to follow the crowd and be trendy and I dont heap praise where I dont think its deserved - I think its called 'having ones own opinion' :lol: !
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Otis Westinghouse

I do that too, and I don't think Fiona A is what you'd call trendy, but I would call her a good singer. Deep and intense, she's well able for the song, and the combination of her and Elv's guitar noises is great, I think. Though maybe he was desperate to join in on the vocals too.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

M. Ward was on Conan last week to perform a cool version of his song "Chinese Translation" (from the wonderful Post-War) with Jim James (of My Morning Jacket), Kelly Hogan and Neko Case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBcRSMNGKk4
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Otis Westinghouse

Good find. I've never seen that film, only stills. Its reputation is pretty awful, and buckley writes about Bowie's dissatisfaction with it. Some pairing, nicht wahr?
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Come With Me Puff Daddy - awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMq8pir1MIA
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Otis Westinghouse

Bowie's a blurred dot here, but it's fun to see him introduce Ricky Gervais to the stage at the Highline festival with a rendition of 'Little Fat Man':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CApLv2AEg-A
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

Did someone already post/mention this?

He's not in the running for Word's best singers list, but can you imagine how he'll sound when he's professionally trained?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k08yxu57NA

This clip is so touching. I'm going to watch it whenever I need cheering up. There's a moment after he (Paul) has just hit his stride when Simon Cowell is actually moved. Who knew it was possible (well, okay, who cared if it was possible, but apparently it is).
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Pretty damn impressive. Surely he's had some formal training. Cowell doesn't know how to react to it, since he's so accustomed to the usual parade of pop tarts. It's kind of funny to see.

I actually don't enjoy Turandot very much. It's my least favorite of Puccini's operas, but "Nessun Dorma" is a beautiful little creation, however brief.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Despite it's over-exposure here during the 1990 World Cup (which I watched in Spain anyway), it's still one of my favourite pieces of music ever, a real desert island moment. I thought he was miming. It sounded so professional. Shame Cowell didn't actually cry, and Piers Morgan too. I guess this is a current series, but I'm unaware of it. I'll have to see if he wins now.

Word mag has also alerted me to the fact that Bowie's first ever TV appearance, aged 17, defending long-haired men, is now up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5zxeLwUSdk
Otis Westinghouse

This is good. Elv on TV in 1994 with yummy Kirsty Young (who I love on Desert Island Discs), though sadly no interview. Rocking Horse Road and Shipbuilding on nice solo acoustic. He protests the latter is really a piano song, but gives i a go. Kisty looks like she wants to join in, or start crying. Recorded, appropriately, in Glasgow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUCUnHLa ... ed&search=
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Otis Westinghouse

Great synchronicity! I was literally thinking to myself that should check out what JM gems were to be found on YT as I on't think I've done so before. These three are gems, especially May You Never, which I was playing earlier. And there are some great clips linked on it too, just playing a lovely Sweet Little Mystery with Danny Thompson from Dublin '87 that I couldn't recommend more, and there's a cracking Solid Air from the same gig. And a moving one of him doing MYN from the Roundhouse last Feb, looking like a mixture of Falstaff and King Lear in his wheelchair.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Its amazing to see him go from that fresh faced youngster to the old grizzled wheelchair bound troubadour. The voice is always there though, and has never faltered, just got deeper. What a life he must have led, from starting out with his old friend Nick Drake in the 60's to being the survivor he is today. A great great man.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Mechanical Grace wrote:Did someone already post/mention this?

He's not in the running for Word's best singers list, but can you imagine how he'll sound when he's professionally trained?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k08yxu57NA

This clip is so touching. I'm going to watch it whenever I need cheering up. There's a moment after he (Paul) has just hit his stride when Simon Cowell is actually moved. Who knew it was possible (well, okay, who cared if it was possible, but apparently it is).
From today's popbitch...

Pott-shot <<

Britain's got hyperbole

Ah, how Britain loves an underdog. Opera
singing Paul Potts becomes a national TV star
thanks to his back story of being a bullied
phone salesman with a lack of confidence.

Residents of Eastville, Bristol, were most
surprised at his TV billing, as Potts has
been a prominent local politician, confident
enough to be elected a Lib-Dem Councillor in
1999. Potts told TV judges that he'd spent
several months at opera school in Italy in
2000, which must have impressed the constituents
who thought they'd voted for someone to
represent their interests in Bristol.

This plucky newcomer had also previously
appeared on Michael Barrymore's My Kind of
Music, sung with Bath Opera and The Royal
Philharmonic Orchestra and performed as
soloist all over Northern Italy.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Mechanical Grace

Fine, wreck my cheery story, why doncha. 8)

Well, he's a damn good actor, in that case! What's odd is that the show wouldn't have checked for previous appearances, etc. In any case, I suspect that Popbitch has swung this story too far in the other direction-- i.e., that his appearances were not headlining roles or significant showings. My mom sang solo at Carnegie Hall once, but that doesn't mean she was famous or acclaimed, or even professional, really. I'll be interested to watch the ping-pong-style fallout from this story... :roll:
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Found this amazing parrott while wandering around on YouTube - dont click on this link if you are offended by swearing! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4mQsElpQpI
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Gillibeanz:

Thank you for the post. It has kept my daughter and wife in stitches for the last 24 hours. We have a blue and gold macaw with a vocabulary of about 100 words (more than about half of the guys I work with, I think) and these parrot sequences are especally funny in light of what we have learned about the intelligence of this species of bird. It all just ain't rote. That is the amazing part. Our "Kenya" will respond appropriately to certain stimuli with the correct words and phrases, and that to me is amazing.

Now I have a problem, however. Allison has decided she want's Kenya to learn to say "Piss-off" so thats all I heard last night during the crash course.

I'm sure I will be very proud when my parrot can promptly retort: "Piss-Off".

Next Phrase? "Wanker of the Year"
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

:lol: Oh dear - sorry about that Mr A! How about you take some film of Kenya and put it up on YouTube? They really do seem to be very popular!!

In the meantime here are lots more clips of Ruby the naughty parrot to keep your daughter and wife amused!

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=nickchp
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Otis Westinghouse

That is funny, but as I find dogs the funniest of all animals, his Doberman Molly is the thing that really cracked me up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gts_jEMj ... ed&search=
Otis Westinghouse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p856CfM64w8

Absurd, but it makes me laugh.
Mechanical Grace

Reminds me of this cartoon, which I have posted at my desk:

http://www.walkingraven.com/2005/08/plate-of-shrimp/