what costello album should i go for?

Pretty self-explanatory
Mansize_Rooster_87

what costello album should i go for?

Post by Mansize_Rooster_87 »

so iv been getting into the man over the last year or so.iv picked up this years model,when i was cruel,delivery man + piano jazz. luv them all to bits in defferent ways! Just wondering which album you fans would recomend for me to get next?

i would be thankfull for your input,cheers :)
LessThanZero

Then all of the reissues

Post by LessThanZero »

My Aim is True, Armed Forces and All this Useless Beauty.

Then, Trust, Imperial Bedroom.

Then all of them.

Then all of the reissues.

Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
Mansize_Rooster_87

Post by Mansize_Rooster_87 »

buy the reissues 3 times over :lol: i dont think i can afford that. i think ill go My Aim is True,iv heard many good things about this one.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

The ones you have seem to cover the map, so I'll agree with LTZ and say start at the beginning with My Aim Is True. From there if you post your impressions this crowd will certainly give you advice one way or another where to go next. (For the record, my top 5: Get Happy, Trust, Imperial Bedroom, King Of America, Blood & Chocolate.)
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

You can't go wrong with Wardo's suggestion.....but THis Year's Model is also a big hit for me.
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

My Aim is True would be an excellent choice, then you can get the rest in chronological order. Since you've already got This Year's Model, you can go straight to Armed Forces, then Get Happy!!, Trust, Almost Blue, Imperial Bedroom, Punch The Clock, Goodbye Cruel World, King of America, Blood and Chocolate, Spike, Mighty Like a Rose, The Juliet Letters, Kojak Variety, All This Useless Beauty and Painted From Memory in that order. This way you'll get to appreciate EC's musical evolution just like the old time fans did.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Hmm.. I think most of us would advise an Elvis newbie to skip over Goodbye Cruel World and Punch The Clock.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

BlueChair wrote:Hmm.. I think most of us would advise an Elvis newbie to skip over Goodbye Cruel World and Punch The Clock.
Oh, you have to take the not-so-good with the good in EC land. You could have added Kojak Variety to those you mentioned. Actually, I think Punch the Clock is underrated.

And imagine the relief when you get to "King of America" and you realise EC hasn't lost it after all! :wink: Well, that's how I felt. In fact, I recall the rush of excitment when EC strode on to the stage back in '85 and started the show with "Blue Chair" and I just thought "YES! He's back!!" :D
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

thepopeofpop wrote:
BlueChair wrote:Hmm.. I think most of us would advise an Elvis newbie to skip over Goodbye Cruel World and Punch The Clock.
Oh, you have to take the not-so-good with the good in EC land.
Second that. If you pick up all those albums in order, and you find something to like on all of them, PTC and GCW aren't likely to stop you in your tracks to the point where you won't continue. And if you're anything like us, you're going to want it all anyway. PTC and GCW are part of the story.

I had it easier when I started -- I was able to pick up most of the albums (on cassette) for about six bucks or less apiece.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Get Happy for a side that you haven't seen, based on the collection that you have already built, and;
Imperial Bedroom - A Masterpiece, and in my opinion, Elvis' Sgt Peppers. Produced by Sir George Martin.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Mr. Average wrote:Imperial Bedroom - A Masterpiece, and in my opinion, Elvis' Sgt Peppers. Produced by Sir George Martin.
Wrong. Produced by Geoff Emerick.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

"from an idea by Elvis Costello"!
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Costello-albums I could live without:
Punch the Clock, Goodbye Cruel World, Spike, Mighty Like A Rose, Brutal Youth, All This Useless Beauty, Painted From Memory, When I Was Cruel, North

I'd say the rest are must-haves (I really do like most of what's listed above though, very much. But I'd only get them if I had everything else and was desparate for more Costello).
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Of course you are right, WSS. I overcredited George Martin for his contribution. But he did contribute to the production of IB, although taking little credit. As I recall from interview and photo logs of the sessions, he was a bit more active, especially with Steve's contributions, then one would believe for someone who goes uncredited. And for someone with his credentials.

But, of course, WSS. You are right. I am wrong.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Mr. Average wrote:Of course you are right, WSS. I overcredited George Martin for his contribution. But he did contribute to the production of IB, although taking little credit. As I recall from interview and photo logs of the sessions, he was a bit more active, especially with Steve's contributions, then one would believe for someone who goes uncredited. And for someone with his credentials.
Here is a bit from the IB Rykodisc liner notes on George Martin...
It is probably the vocal and instrumental additions that set this album apart from our previous records. Having decided to use some orchestral instruments, Steve Nieve began writing the charts; for a trio of French horns on "Long Honeymoon" (which he later told me was supposed to sound like Wagnerian hunting horns, although as one of the players might have swallowed something that didn't agree with him, that effect came closer to a New Orleans funeral band), a brass and woodwind section on "Pidgin English", a Philly-style violin section on "Town Cryer" and a full forty piece orchestra for "...And In Every Home". Prior to that last session Geoff asked George Martin to cast an eye over Steve's score (which contained a couple of musical jokes and allusions to George's orchestrations for the Beatles), as he might make a few valuable suggestions regarding the booking of particular players to negotiate the trickier passages. On the big day Steve conducted the orchestra himself, a remarkable sight which non of us had the foresight to capture on a snap-shot camera.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

A few of us have become properly acquainted with EC's catalogue through the new Rhino reissues. The main guy responsible for them at Rhino records, Gary Stewart:

http://www.rhino.com/RZine/StoryKeeper.lasso?StoryID=38
These reissues are coming out in thematically related groups of three. What are those themes?

The first three - My Aim Is True, Spike, All This Useless Beauty - are what I like to call the beginning, middle, and latest chapter in his career. They also reflect an eclectic and varied solo sound. They’re in marked contrast to the next three - This Year’s Model, Blood & Chocolate and Brutal Youth ,- which feature the Attractions’ more aggressive sound. The next three - Imperial Bedroom, Armed Forces, and Mighty Like A Rose - show off the more elegant, detailed pop textures. And then the next three - Get Happy!!, Trust, and Punch The Clock - show you the evolution of The Attractions from ’60s soul to ’80s pop and R&B. The fifth group - King Of America, Kojak Variety, and Almost Blue - shows off an American-roots side of Elvis. The Juliet Letters, Goodbye Cruel World, and an expanded Taking Liberties won’t be part of a group, because they each stand on their own.

Detail on each that has come out thus far:

http://icemagazine.com/stories/172/costello.asp (My Aim is True ('77), Spike ('89) All This Useless Beauty ('96))
http://icemagazine.com/stories/179/elvis_c.asp (This Year's Model ('78.), Blood And Chocolate ('86), Brutal Youth ('94))
http://icemagazine.com/stories/188/costello.asp (Armed Forces ('79), Imperial Bedroom ('82), Mighty Like A Rose ('91))
http://icemagazine.com/stories/197/costello.asp (Trust (1981), Punch The Clock ('83), Get Happy!! ('79))
http://icemagazine.com/stories/209/elvis.asp (Almost Blue ('80), Goodbye Cruel World ('83), Kojak Variety ('95))
http://icemagazine.com/stories/216/costello.asp (King Of America ('86))
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Welcome

Get yourself King of America and then tell Spooky Girlfriend it is Elvis' worst album. She'll love you for that. :lol:

Just make sure you buy the Rhino 2 CD reissues as the liner notes are detailed and the unreleased/unwanted stuff would have other bands scratching their heads.

Some of the original CDs are patchy but they take on a different light with the second CD.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?