The Juliet Letters, and especially The Letter Home

Pretty self-explanatory
guidedbyvoices

The Juliet Letters, and especially The Letter Home

Post by guidedbyvoices »

It seems to me this album ranks really low to most Costello fans, but I've always loved it. When Rhino announced the reissues, I sold all the old ones, and hadn't heard this in forever. A friend just burned me a copy, and I still don't get the hate.

So I was listening to this on the way to work this morning, and The Letter Home, jesus h. I always liked this song, but I think it just hit me - I think this is a suicide note. And for EC, to say so much in so little space, without his trademark turn of a phrase or pun, and each verse having a different melody, each with its own mood making it cinematic. Good god, I'd have to put this in my top 5 all time Costello songs now. Anyway, am I reading into this too much to be a suicide note? I see this as written from a female point of view, the way subconsciously she says apologize, fault, excuse, distress in the first verse (though not subconscious for EC)... the "I'll go one better", and I imagine that the "he's gone" to mean he offed himself too, something her and the guy she's writing to would both understand. Maybe she even had a relationship (affair?) with him, and is the reason he offed himself...
c/o St. Ignatus House, Willoughby Drive,
Parrametta, New South Wales
This fifth day of July,
in the year of Our Lord nineteen hundred and thirty five

Why must I apologize every time that I sit down to write
Through my own fault I may find
You're no longer living at this address
Please excuse the lack of news
The feeling of strange privilege
for the hour of trial, in these times of distress
Mean more than years imprisoned by etiquette.

I can remember when we were children
Though I could never imagine this day
Your brother told me we'd live forever
"I'll go one better," I heard myself say
And it seems so strange, now that he's gone,
to recall all these games
While the years have divided us
Friendships have strained and broken

Oh, by the way, how's that girl that you wed
I hated you then, but I'm over the worst of it
I can't come home
I might as well say, life is short
I shall not write again
Just wondering if others feel I'm on the right trackor if I'm reading too much into it.
we have powerlines in our bloodlines
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

I always read it as more of a note from one estranged friend to another (not dissimilar to "Backstreets" by Springsteen). I didn't see it as a suicide note, as there's already one of those on the album. But I do agree it's a fine song, from an unfairly maligned album.
guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices »

which one is the other suicide song? don't have it in fornt of me...
guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices »

expert rites?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

guidedbyvoices wrote:which one is the other suicide song? don't have it in fornt of me...
"Dear Sweet Filthy World."
guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices »

after listening to that, DSFW definitely makes sense. still, I like my interpretation!

found the lyrics online, and this album keeps growing for me. I'd like an argument from The Juliet Letters haters why they don't like it. Over the top for you? Strings = Pretentious?

Here's another lyric that stands as poetry - First To Leave. Love the twist of the last line. And "permanent Lent" - just like a good Irish Catholic!
I should open with a kiss
For if you're reading this
You must have opened up your case
And found this letter where I placed it
In between the silk and lace
There were other clues, like your walking shoes
But I still refused to believe
That you were meant to be the first to leave
Everybody here sends you their love
How can I forget you still walk above
Or
below
Perhaps you'll never know this purgatory
We never could agree
There's a thought, there's a pause
No time to repent
Eternally yours
In a permanent lent
But if I should give you up
If you're right and life just stops
And I never see your face again
Then from unearthly pleasures, proud and plain
I shall abstain
Until you realise, my loss is your surprise
Unless you know otherwise
Then don't grieve
You see I had to be the first to leave
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I've always adored this album - since the first time I heard it. I was so thrilled when I finally saw Elvis for the first time in concert and it was with the Brodskys. I talked with Jacqueline after the show and she was so sweet - even signed my cd cover of TJL.

I really love this album. Haven't played it in a while - this makes me want to get it back out again. Seeing Elvis play live with the Brodsky quartet will always be a concert high for me.
guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices »

one of my eternal regrets is not seeing EC with the Brodskys. I don't think he came to Texas that tour.

I also really enjoy the Brodskys work with Bjork. Supposedly she played I Almost Had A Weakness with them live, but I've enver heard a bootleg of it.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I know I've bored people with this before, but I had the great honour of being there with just 200 people to hear the world premier of the Juliet Letters in 1992 (I think), when myself and Mrs Monkster were 'courting'.
I met Alan Bleasdale (the Playwright) at the urinal and later in the pub and we became good mates.

I loved TJL then and still do. I'm especially fond of 'Who do You Think You Are' and 'Taking my Life in Your Hands' as well 'The Birds will Still be Singing'.

Probably one of the bravest records ever made.
corruptio optimi pessima
guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices »

Wow, the premier?! Very cool. I'm relatively new to the list so I hadn't heard the tale.

I guess I'm just confused then why it seems to get the short shrift (like in the Mojo piece about his albums). Amazon has almost universal raves with the 2 thumbs down saying "it doesn't work". Some of the raves say it's difficult, but I liked it right off.

I know some EC fans hate it, so I just wanted to find out why, I guess...
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I have always loved this album. I remember buying it, going home, turning off the lights and listening straight through with no distractions, interruptions or anything that could break up the flow. What many don't realize is that it is one of the best selling EC releases of his entire career, mainly due to its 'worldwide' appeal. 'The Letter Home', 'This Sad Burlesque', 'For Other Eyes' and 'The Birds Will Still Be Singing' are particular favorites.
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

"Juliet Letters" is a criminally ignored piece of work.
"The Letter Home" is a fantastic composition, melodically and lyrically.

"I'll go one better, I heard myself say..."
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

That's the record that (especially coming on the heels of MLAR) got critics accusing Elvis of being 'pious' and 'pretentious.' Man, so much damage has been done by those bloated 70s rock bands with their string orchestras and humourless concept albums - a remarkable record like 'The Juliet Letters' is dismissed because it brings to mind those connotations.

The problem may have been compounded by EC's singing, which strains on some of these numbers (based on 'The Delivery Man,' I'd say he would bring a more soulful command to that material now). But even so, one of my very favourite moments in his whole catalogue occurs at the climax of 'Expert Rites:'

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
live with my regret...

The 'I' may be overextended, but it swoops into the spine-tingling finale. It blows me away every time.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

spooky girlfriend wrote:I've always adored this album - since the first time I heard it. I was so thrilled when I finally saw Elvis for the first time in concert and it was with the Brodskys. I talked with Jacqueline after the show and she was so sweet - even signed my cd cover of TJL.

I really love this album. Haven't played it in a while - this makes me want to get it back out again. Seeing Elvis play live with the Brodsky quartet will always be a concert high for me.

Wasn't that a great night in Nashville Spooky? Remember the Irish Pub? Didn't they play MAIT just for us? Or does my memory embellish?

I'll never forget the ride back to the hotel either!
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Apologies if that last post looks like it is straight out of the high school yearbook... :D
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.