invisible Pole

River in Reverse discussion

Post by invisible Pole »

HOORAY !!

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/art ... 1001478392

Costello, Toussaint Teaming For New Album

November 11, 2005, 3:25 PM ET
Todd Martens, L.A.

Elvis Costello is slated to head into the studio the week of Thanksgiving to begin a collaboration with songwriter/arranger/pianist Allen Toussaint. Joe Henry will produce the album for Verve Records.

Henry likens the project to Costello's 1998 pairing with Burt Bacharach, "Painted from Memory" (Mercury/Universal). "That project was a very legitimate collaboration between the two artists, and this will feature Elvis as a singer doing both classic songs that Allen has written as well as new material [the two are writing]," Henry tells Billboard.com.

New Orleans veteran Toussaint recently performed with Costello at a number of New York benefits for the victims of hurricane Katrina. Toussaint, who has written such songs as Dr. John's "Right Place, Wrong Time" and Lee Dorsey's "Workin' in a Coal Mine," appeared as a pianist on some of Costello's early 1980s albums.

"Elvis, like a lot of people, re-committed himself to the importance of the legacy of [New Orleans] music," Henry says. "I was talking to Allen about doing a solo record, and Elvis had appeared with Allen on stage at various benefits in New York, and the wheels were turning."

Henry, who has toured with Costello in support of his own solo releases, recently produced Bettye LaVette's "I've Got My Own Hell To Raise" for Epitaph's Anti- imprint, as well as the multi-artist "I Believe to My Soul" for his newly formed Work Song label. The latter was released via a partnership with Rhino Records and Starbucks' Hear Music, and features Toussaint, Billy Preston, Mavis Staples, Ann Peebles and Irma Thomas.

Henry says he and Costello have discussed working together for a few years now, and Henry had been prodding Toussaint to record a solo effort for Work Song. "Elvis and I talked off and on about working together," Henry says. "He's been a big booster of 'I Believe to My Soul' and he's a big a Bettye LaVette fan. After the hurricane, it brought home to him how significant that relationship with Allen was."
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Wow, did three of us post about this simultaneously? :lol:

I just went back and deleted mine.

Joe Henry is a terrific producer and I'm really curious to hear how this one turns out!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Holy, Moley!
I guess it was just a matter of time!!!
:D :D :D
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Wow, I'm sure that's gonna be terrific. Henry was just on Morning Becomes Eclectic the other day talking about and playing selections from I Believe To My Soul. That sounded really tasty, as does the Bettye LaVette album, which is a cracker.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Yeah, it may sound like I'm a 39-year-old teenager but I almost lost my breath when I saw this on Billboard.com.
Great, great news !!
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

So if they start recording this month, I'm guessing it will be a June release?
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Excellent news. The Betty Lavette album is defintely a great one, Joe Henry seems to have that knack that Tbone Burnett has, when he produces a great artist, of letting the recording breath. On paper this combination looks like a good one, fingers crossed it works out well. And a big thanks to Verve for letting it happen.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

I think it'll a be an improvement for TDM. But I think WIWC will be the best of the 2000s, no that there was that much to offer in the first place.
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

This makes my heart feel good. :)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Extreme Honey wrote:I think it'll a be an improvement for TDM. But I think WIWC will be the best of the 2000s, no that there was that much to offer in the first place.
Oh shut up already!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Listen to Allen Toussaint's "Mi Amour" from "I Believe to My Soul" a recent compilation. I'm sure that this is found elsewhere but this is where I first heard it.
Produced by Joe Henry. Featuring Ann Peebles, Billy Preston, Mavis Staples, Irma Thomas, Allen Toussaint.

When you listen to this track, imagine Elvis on Vocals, and the Imposters in support. Outside of the fact that the lyrics are simple, this is a natural cover for Elvis. In fact, it sounds as if he could have written the song. I would be surprised if their collaboration doesn't include a cover of this song...just too perfect for Elvis' vocal stylings and his overall sound.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis recording new album with Allen Toussaint soon !!!!

Post by sweetest punch »

invisible Pole wrote:
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/art ... 1001478392

Costello, Toussaint Teaming For New Album

Elvis Costello is slated to head into the studio the week of Thanksgiving to begin a collaboration with songwriter/arranger/pianist Allen Toussaint. Joe Henry will produce the album for Verve Records.

Henry likens the project to Costello's 1998 pairing with Burt Bacharach, "Painted from Memory" (Mercury/Universal). "That project was a very legitimate collaboration between the two artists, and this will feature Elvis as a singer doing both classic songs that Allen has written as well as new material [the two are writing]," Henry tells Billboard.com.
I remember the first announcements of the Costello/Bacharach album in 1998: they were going to record both Bacharach classics as well as newly penned songs (by both men together). Luckily, Painted From Memory contained only Costello/Bacharach compositions.

Let's hope that in this case with Allen Toussaint, it will be the same: lots of co-written songs.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
migdd

Post by migdd »

I hope that's the case, as well, sp; however, EC and Burt spent the better part of a year (on-and-off) writing material for PFM. It would be quite a feat for the EC and Allen Toussaint to go into the studio and write an album's worth of material during the week of Thanksgiving. Unless someone has a cache of almost finished songs that they'll bring with them to the sessions or unless the recording goes on for longer than the announced schedule, we'll probably see some older material on there. But who knows. . .
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Maybe non-U.S. boardmembers might like to know that Thanksgiving is on Thursday, November 24, 2005 . Well, I didn't know...
sabreman

Post by sabreman »

This is great news!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

This is going to be great.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

This is great news. Whilst we have been jokingly trying to guess what Elvis' next album would be, I think it's fair to say none of us would have guessed this.

I hope it's an album of unreleased songs and no doubt Elvis has a whole bunch waiting to be recorded.

I also hope there are some supporting live shows but I bet if there are they won't be outside of the US.

Whilst Painted From Memory was an album of original compositions, when they played live shows Elvis covered quite a few of Bacharach/David compositions. Perhaps this will be the same.

And perhaps I'm getting a little bit ahead of myself here.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
anjabro

Post by anjabro »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Whilst we have been jokingly trying to guess what Elvis' next album would be, I think it's fair to say none of us would have guessed this.
I did.

I just didn't say anything.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Well speak up in future :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
anjabro

Post by anjabro »

I'd hate to spoil the surprise...
whar

Post by whar »

Uncomfortableeeeee. :?
Oy with the poodles, already!
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Who the hell is Allen Toussaint?

8)
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Some dude. He plays an instrument. May own a penguin.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

selfmademug wrote:Who the hell is Allen Toussaint?

8)
At least you didn't get the same crap I got.
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

That's because I was joking, dumb ass. I tried to answer you in a relatively constructive way when you made that characteristically arrogant comment about the Isley Bros and all I got for it was being called Darth Vader. Yes, it's true, I'm a seven-foot man with a propensity for evil and heavy breathing, with a face that's best hidden behind a plastic mask. Everyone thinks so.