Elvis/Tom Snyder TV show 1981 on DVD, Jan. 06

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis/Tom Snyder TV show 1981 on DVD, Jan. 06

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/art ... 1001432839

Shout! Factory has set a Jan. 24 release date for a double-DVD set culling interviews and performances from "The Tomorrow Show With Tom Snyder." The package is highlighted by Snyder's 1980 interview with the Sex Pistols' John Lydon, which culminated into an unabashed argument between the two men, plus a 1977 "round table" discussion about punk with Joan Jett, Paul Weller and concert promoter Bill Graham, among others.

Also featured are 1981 live performances from such luminaries as Elvis Costello and the Attractions ("New Lace Sleeves," "Watch Your Step"), Iggy Pop ("Dog Food," "Five Foot One," "TV Eye"), the Plasmatics ("Head Banger," "Master Plan"), the Jam ("Pretty Green," "Funeral Pyre") and the Ramones ("We Want the Airwaves," "I Wanna Be Sedated" and "The KKK Took My Baby Away").
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Fantastic! I hope The Jam version of Pretty Green is the live version they played in 1981 with Paul's guitar riff after the opening bass lines as opposed to the album version.

And The Plasmatics! Wendy O'Williams :shock:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BT ... ance&n=130

The Tomorrow Show: Punk & New Wave

Studio: Shout! Factory
DVD Release Date: January 24, 2006

Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I remember seeing at least half of these when they first aired. I was agitated at the time that the credits were rolling over the Jam as they played Funeral Pyre - it was released that day and unavailable where I lived...at the time there were only a few things in life more important than a new Jam release.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
verbal gymnastics

Boy With A Problem wrote:...at the time there were only a few things in life more important than a new Jam release.
That still holds true for me today.

I can't wait to get this.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4489

DVD CONTENTS:

October 11, 1977 – Joan Jett, Paul Weller, Bill Graham, Kim Fowley, Robert Hilburn Interview

February 3, 1981 – Elvis Costello & The Attractions
"New Lace Sleeves"
"Watch Your Step"

February 12, 1981 – Iggy Pop
"Dog Food"
"Five Foot One"
"TV Eye"

May 20, 1981 – The Plasmatics
"Head Banger"
"Master Plan"

May 11, 1978 – Patti Smith Interview

June 25, 1980 – John Lydon Interview

May 27, 1981 – The Jam
"Pretty Green"
"Funeral Pyre"

September 1, 1981 – The Ramones
"We Want The Airwaves"
"I Wanna Be Sedated"
"The KKK Took My Baby Away"
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Wowzer. A must-own.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Fantastic! I hope The Jam version of Pretty Green is the live version they played in 1981 with Paul's guitar riff after the opening bass lines as opposed to the album version.
Surely not. LP opens with Bruce going bum-ba-dum-dum-dum x 2, then thwack of Rick and in come the drums, Weller's playing a single note-chord with the snare beat at most, in fact isn't it just his vocal over bass and drums before any guitar comes in - thinking about it, I reckon that's after the first verse. If I wasn't so utterly and horribly ill with a cold right now, I'd have it on the headphones, but I listened to Sound Affects so many times at my mate's house, I'm not sure I need to.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
verbal gymnastics

Otis - they played it differently live in 1981 on their "Summer Fun 81" tour. I also have them playing it live on a BBC1 show acalled something like "Get Set For Summer" on a compilation of TV appearances which I lovingly did as a young whippersnapper!

You should have picked a 1981 live tape whan I was giving them away!!!
Otis Westinghouse

I vaguely recall there being some difference in live versions, maybe when they played Jersey on Dec 6 1980 (or was it not hatched by then?), but the point was, was it not, that the album version doesn't start with guitar at the outset, but bass alone. OK, am off work sick (where did all this mucus come from?), but can muster up the energy to go and visit the box set...

... there you go, exactly as I remembered, except that the snare comes in after three x Bruce, not two. Guitar comes in after first verse, bang on 'hit parade'. So how does the version you're referring to go exactly? Will have to check out that bag of lovely Jam bootlegs to see if I have it on one of those, or was it only summer '81? Over to you, Jam professor.

See Weller on Later? Just watching it now. From The Floorboards Up, not bad. Thought John Cale's Perfect blew it away, though. Kickass band, fun song. And John Cale just looks so fantastic.
verbal gymnastics

Otis Westinghouse wrote:...but the point was, was it not, that the album version doesn't start with guitar at the outset, but bass alone.
No it wasn't! I think you've misinterpreted what I said. What I actually wrote was
verbal gymnastics wrote:I hope The Jam version of Pretty Green is the live version they played in 1981 with Paul's guitar riff after the opening bass lines as opposed to the album version.
I meant that the album version was a single note after the opening bass line as you rightly said. The live version in 1981 had a guitar riff after the opening bass lines.
Otis Westinghouse wrote:So how does the version you're referring to go exactly? Will have to check out that bag of lovely Jam bootlegs to see if I have it on one of those, or was it only summer '81? Over to you, Jam professor.
It was only on the Summer 1981 shows. I'll sing it to you at the meet up :lol:
Otis Westinghouse

verbal gymnastics wrote:No it wasn't! I think you've misinterpreted what I said. What I actually wrote was
verbal gymnastics wrote:I hope The Jam version of Pretty Green is the live version they played in 1981 with Paul's guitar riff after the opening bass lines as opposed to the album version.
I meant that the album version was a single note after the opening bass line as you rightly said. The live version in 1981 had a guitar riff after the opening bass lines.
Aha, poor expression, my inappropriately named friend. The unexpressed contrast I took to be 'after as opposed to before/with', implying the guitar note (not exactly a 'riff', I grant you), not 'riff as opposed to single note'. I think the insertion of 'single not on the' before 'album version' would have helped significantly. Still, I got a couple more posts on the tally out of it.
verbal gymnastics

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Aha, poor expression, my inappropriately named friend. The unexpressed contrast I took to be 'after as opposed to before/with', implying the guitar note (not exactly a 'riff', I grant you), not 'riff as opposed to single note'. I think the insertion of 'single not on the' before 'album version' would have helped significantly.
Phew!
Otis Westinghouse wrote:Still, I got a couple more posts on the tally out of it.
:lol: And when it boils down to it, isn't that what really matters?
Otis Westinghouse

Maybe.
Otis Westinghouse

But then again...
Otis Westinghouse

Otis Westinghouse wrote:I think the insertion of 'single not on the' before 'album version' would have helped significantly.
So much for the accuracy oof my editing skills! That should, of course, be 'note' not 'not'!

Still, I got another post out of it.
verbal gymnastics

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Still, I got another post out of it.
Do I get half a post for an assist? :)
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
Otis Westinghouse wrote:I think the insertion of 'single not on the' before 'album version' would have helped significantly.
So much for the accuracy oof my editing skills! That should, of course, be 'note' not 'not'!

Still, I got another post out of it.
LOL - and it should be "of, not "oof". Put down the bottle Otis! Or is that cold medicine making you loopy?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

I spend so much time worrying about accurate copy professionally that I get very lax here, tis true, so am the board's worst hypocrite when I come to upbraid others. Still there's a difference between clumsy typing and lack of clarity! I'm not really into checking text on screen, though I do find things straight off when in posted mode that escape me on the 'compose' screen.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I bet you checked that last one extra carefully. :)
Otis Westinghouse

Slightly, only slightly more than I usually do.
sabreman

Post by sabreman »

From what I can remember this is really good music wise. I believe WRS is in black and white. Can't wait to see it again.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

... if your a DimeaDozener you needn't wait that long.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I have this vinyl bootleg of the soundtrack -

http://www.elviscostello.info/disc/offi ... fo_s09.htm

The Elvis Costello Interview With Tom Snyder: Tomorrow Coast To Coast

Release date Media Catalogue number (comments)

1980-__-__ 12" Columbia/CBS AS 958 XSM-168566 (US stickered promo)
1980-__-__ CD Columbia/CBS (US promo)

Tracks:

Interview [11:23]
Watch Your Step
sabreman

Post by sabreman »

I think I have this too.