Tom Waits news

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Tom Waits news

Post by BlueChair »

A new album by enigmatic singer/songwriter Tom Waits is on the Anti Records release schedule. No details are available about the set, which is tentatively slated for a March 2004 release.

If it comes to fruition, the set will be Waits' first proper studio album since 1999's acclaimed "Mule Variations." It debuted at No. 30 on The Billboard 200 and has sold 388,000 copies in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan. The album won Grammys for best folk and alternative music albums.

Last year, Waits released a pair of albums -- "Blood Money" and "Alice" -- consisting of music written for plays conceived by Waits, his wife/collaborator Kathleen Brennan and Robert Wilson. The albums debuted at No. 32 and No. 33 on The Billboard 200 and have sold 143,000 and 140,000 copies, respectively.

As previously reported, Waits is among the artists appearing on the forthcoming Blind Boys Of Alabama album, "Go Tell It on the Mountain," due Sept. 16 via Real World Records.

-- Barry A. Jeckell, N.Y.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Waits, you magnificent bastard! I'm so happy I could shout. But then I'd wake Lelia and she'd kill me. So I won't.
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

I just discovered Tom Waits a few months ago, after listening to "Alice" and "Blood Money", and I devoured his other albums. Insane, dark, creepy...I love him! I can't wait for the new one.
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I've been really enjoying this bootleg I got of his VH1 Storytellers show (on CD). It's a 2CD set of the complete show, including stuff they didn't broadcast.

Makes me wish I saw him live. He just has this great spirit about him with a wonderful sense of humour. In some ways it's more entertaining listening to him speak than it is listening to him perform, though that too is a delight.
bobster

Post by bobster »

As far as I know, Waits is the first ever man to utter the immortal words: "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy." (On the immortal "Ferwood Tonight" with Martin Mull and Fred Willard.)

An amazing, hysterical racounteur, and made for "Storytellers" -- in fact, they should have just had him do an entire season!
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
costellopunk

Post by costellopunk »

new waits album. excellent. tom waits is a relativley recent discovery of mine. i got in to him probably three years ago and the man is just a genius. how'd you get a hold of that boot blue? i've got a couple songs off it downloaded. he's friggin hilarious doing what's he building in there.
-it takes a long time but god dies too/but not before he sticks it to you-
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

It is also rumoured that he will tour to support the release.

http://www.keeslau.com/TomWaitsSupplement/
signed with love and vicious kisses
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

Excuse me...I need to go change my underwear.....
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Man, if he tours....

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
uselessbeauty?

Post by uselessbeauty? »

if tom waits ever tours i will jump up and down until the end of the universe. probably with a slight pause to go to his show. i would also like to know where you got that bootleg bluechair. if any of you don't know what tom waits to listen to i highly recommend nighthawks at the diner, small change, or the greatest hits collection beautiful maladies. tom waits is just so so amazing.
i knew they were going to fire me after i stole the eighteen wheeler. so i quit first.
true story