I Hear A Melody mp3

Pretty self-explanatory
martinfoyle

I Hear A Melody mp3

Post by martinfoyle »

charliestumpy

IHAM

Post by charliestumpy »

Lots of thanks as usual - this is a Costello song on my 'hunt it down' list, and I shall listen to it many more times than I shall to 'interesting' Hans C. Anderson songs ...
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

What an excellent find! Great song. Thanks MF.
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

Man, that thing is perfect sound quality.

Anybody know the story behind this stuff -- why it has surfaced all of a sudden? (see: "Unloved Songs" thread...)
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

It's from the first Unloved collection, which consists of leaked trimmings from the latest round of re-issues. Since Elvis himself has resurrected the tune I thought everyone would like to give it a listen. It's a nice little thing, love that tongue cutting line.
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

Yeah, I was pretty sure that it was related to the reissues, what with the quality and all.
It just seems strange that they are surfacing now, in that that period's stuff would've been plodded thru years ago, as the MAIT reissue is years old now.

Perhaps these leaks are related to still-to-come bonus -- perhaps "Taking Liberties"?
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Thank you, Mr. Foyle, that was a nice listen. Now if I could only find the rest of the Unloved Songs so easily....
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Dr. Luther wrote:Perhaps these leaks are related to still-to-come bonus -- perhaps "Taking Liberties"?
Or the next reissue of This Year's Model (which is the session it's taken from according to the sleeve) of the bootleg.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

Or the next reissue of This Year's Model (which is the session it's taken from according to the sleeve) of the bootleg.
I don't know. With the phrasing and singing style, that track sounds "pre-professional". Very similar to his approach on the "Honky Tonk demo" songs.

I may be wrong, but I would venture that the info on the bootleg is innaccurate. It sounds like it's earlier than TYM to me...
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

From listserv-

At Saturday's show he said he had written it in '75. When someone asked
him about it afterward, he said he had just found a tape of it a couple
weeks ago and decided to play it.
Rozy
verena

Post by verena »

:?:
Is it a silent melody ? Otherwise there must be something wrong because I hear nothing at all.
verbal gymnastics

Dr. Luther wrote:
I don't know. With the phrasing and singing style, that track sounds "pre-professional". Very similar to his approach on the "Honky Tonk demo" songs.

I may be wrong, but I would venture that the info on the bootleg is innaccurate. It sounds like it's earlier than TYM to me...
I agree. At the show he's introduced it as being from 1975 but the bootleg sleeve says it's from the TYM sessions. The style of the song would fit as being a solo demo predating TYM. I think the song Blue Minute may predate 1978 too.

Still, it's great that he played an old unreleased song.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

verbal gymnastics wrote: At the show he's introduced it as being from 1975 but the bootleg sleeve says it's from the TYM sessions. The style of the song would fit as being a solo demo predating TYM.
I think it sounds closer to the Honky Tonk style as well. Verbal, can you post these liner notes? Unless, of course, you want to burn me a copy....
verbal gymnastics

I would love to wardo but you should know by now that my technomological skills are worse than useless. Firstly I don't have the facilties to copy/burn CDs, I don't know how to use dimeadozen etc., I don't even know how to put a picture up onto the board. I could go on but you get the drift.

If you read my Unloved Songs thread you'll see that I don't actually have a copy of the CD. I was lent it by a friend on the basis that I didn't get it copied. The person who lent it to me said it was not in circulation and if it became more widely circulated the chances are he could be traced. It was very trusting of him to lend it to me and I wouldn't abuse anybody's trust.

If it comes into wider circulation I'll get a copy and perhaps someone here could copy it and distribute it down the line.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Verbal -- I understand completely. Just wishful thinking on my part. I read your post about hearing the discs; I thought perhaps you had a copy of the notes handy. I certainly wouldn't want to put you in a bad spot.

It's a slippery slope -- sometimes I think I'd be better off not knowing this stuff existed! In the meantime I'll keep my fingers crossed for an expanded Juliet Letters, and perhaps we'll actually see a leftovers collection as hinted way back when the Rhino program started.
verbal gymnastics

wardo68 wrote:Verbal -- I understand completely. Just wishful thinking on my part. I read your post about hearing the discs; I thought perhaps you had a copy of the notes handy. I certainly wouldn't want to put you in a bad spot.
I'm sure if it becomes generally available other people will have it before I get it. But I will make sure I get a copy sent to someone on the board with copying facilities.
wardo68 wrote:It's a slippery slope -- sometimes I think I'd be better off not knowing this stuff existed!
I know what you mean. Elvis said last week he just found a tape with this song on it - coincidence?

And who knows how much more unreleased stuff there is. The Unloved Songs set has a lot of different takes of songs on it as well as the three unreleased ones.
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

Check that. More specifically, the phrasing is closer to the Flip City stuff, rather than Honky Tonk Demos.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A transcription of the lyric -

It's easy to do
It's not so easy to say
I was talking to you
When you took my tongue away
I hear a melody
And I feel so ashamed
I got nothing you need
And your so hard to blame
I hear a melody
I hear a melody
I hear a melody
And your so hard to blame
It will never work
I know thats easy to see
So the way that I want you
Stays hidden in me
And you'll nevr know
The fool that I'm feeling tonight
But it's best that you never know
Because I know it's not right
I hear a melody
I hear a melody
I hear a melody
I hear a melody
And I know it's not right
I hear a melody
I hear a melody
I hear a melody
I hear a melody
And I know it's not right
nobodygirl

Re: I Hear A Melody mp3

Post by nobodygirl »

That link has expired, would anyone be kind enough to repost it?
Your friends said you were better off dead
You were dead anyway from the start
--RA
verena

Post by verena »

I would be happy to do it for you girl, but this is beyond me.

What an amazing song... I'd like to hear the melody, cause the music is right.

Thanks for the transcript. :)
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

nobodygirl

Post by nobodygirl »

Thank you very much.
Your friends said you were better off dead
You were dead anyway from the start
--RA
verena

Post by verena »

Thank you belatedly. :)

I love this song. True, the melody isn’t quite right, but in all likelihood he was asking for it. Poor little fellow, not his fault... :cry:
whar

Post by whar »

I missed the boat.
Oy with the poodles, already!