Joan Baez covers The Scarlet Tide

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Joan Baez covers The Scarlet Tide

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/aane ... xml&coll=2

All that said, her Monday night show - performed without an opening act and without intermission - was a bit on the melancholy side, leaning more toward the ballads for which she is famous. Even "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down'' was performed slowly, almost like a hymn. She followed that up with a new song for her, Elvis Costello's "Scarlet Tide,'' a haunting anti-war ballad that implores the president to "bring the boys back home.''
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Interesting. The "bring the boys back home" quote suggests she sang the unrecorded alternate lyrics which EC has sung in concert in recent months.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.pennlive.com/entertainment/p ... xml&coll=1

Baez's voice, passion shine on in concert

Saturday, October 22, 2005
BY KIRA L. SCHLECHTER
Of The Patriot-News

(extract)

A few songs into a performance by 1960s icon and longtime social activist Joan Baez and you find yourself fresh out of superlatives.

She walked briskly onstage Thursday at Harrisburg's Whitaker Center with backing musicians Graham Maby and Eric Della Penna in tow and stepped to the microphone to sing a hymnlike and somber "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down." She was flawless. That didn't change throughout a magical two-hour set delivered to a packed, enraptured house.

She is one of the finest interpreters of traditional and modern folk repertoires. She covered songs by her mentor and partner Bob Dylan, including "With God on Our Side" and "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue." Woody Guthrie was remembered with the grief-laden "Deportee." She did two by fellow social critic Steve Earle, including a devastatingly ironic "Christmas in Washington."

Elvis Costello's "The Scarlet Tide" showcased the shades and tones in her voice, while Gillian Welch's murder ballad, "Caleb Meyer," allowed her to be more percussive and dramatic.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://theedge.bostonherald.com/musicNe ... eid=108289

Latest anti-war movement finds Baez in fighting form

By Daniel Gewertz
Sunday, October 23, 2005

(extract)

Joan Baez once changed America's cultural landscape. Martin Scorcese's recent Bob Dylan documentary film was a stirring reminder of how this young queen of the folk revival was among the most influential performers of the early 1960s.

Today, at a youthful 64, Baez says it is the current cultural landscape that is changing her.

``The whole context in which I do my concerts has been changed this year by Cindy Sheehan and the (Iraq) war,'' said Baez, who is singing more political and traditional folk songs in concert than at any point since the '60s.

Baez, who performs Tuesday and Wednesday at the Somerville Theatre, spent time visiting the protestors at ``Camp Casey'' near President Bush's Crawford, Texas, ranch, during the August vigil of Sheehan and her fellow anti-war activists.

``I had intended to go to Camp Casey for a night, and I stayed for a week,'' Baez said. ``In the evenings, I'd do this combination of singing and telling stories of the (political work) I've done. I met with groups of vets and Gold Star mothers. It was very, very compelling to be there. The talks would go on every night. One woman spoke of the great relief it was to speak out. She felt it was like breathing again to be in a place where people understood her, and didn't criticize her.

``How,'' Baez asked, ``do you scrape up the courage to say what those women say. `My kid died, and for what?' I can't think of anything more difficult to say.''

On Sept. 25, she sang four songs at an anti-war rally in Washington, D.C.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/aane ... thispage=2

Saturday, October 15, 2005

Baez said she still believes music has the power to fuel change, but singing has to be backed up with action. "I made a documentary once called 'Music Alone is Not Enough.' But I wouldn't want to be part of social change that didn't have music,'' she said. The problem is, no one has written an anthem people can rally 'round.

"You fill in as well as you can until that happens. If I thought I could do that, I would do it.''

Steve Earle, whose "Christmas in Washington'' and "Jerusalem'' are on her new disc, takes powerful steps in the right direction, she added, as does Elvis Costello with "Scarlet Tide,'' which she's in the process of learning. "The words are pretty amazing: 'I thought I heard a black bell toll, up in the highest dome ... admit you're wrong, just bring the boys back home.'

"It's beautiful,'' she said.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

I wonder if she likes Last Boat Leaving?
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I love the Scarlet Tide melody, but the image has always bothered me!

A tide doesn't trickle, and it can't be up in a mountain, as it's at sea level!

So he should ditch the tide imagery, and call it a stream!

"We'll rise above the scarlet stream
That trickles down through the mountain...."

Sorry, I know I'm a pedantic git! Love the melody and the rest of the lyric, however.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I always imagine a sepia-toned Civil War photograph getting washed over with red, which I'm sure is something I saw on PBS more than once. And tides are a little more relentless than streams, I think. And there's a push and pull to them that is kind of heart beat like, and they're also tied to the moon, so there's that whole Universal Concept thing some artists strive for.

And I am full of shit this morning! :lol:
Like me, the "g" is silent.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

mood swung wrote:And I am full of shit this morning! :lol:
Metaphorically I hope.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

absolutely! girls don't poop, after all.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.independent.com/a&e/poprockjazz994.htm

Giving Voice to the People
Joan Baez. At the Lobero Theatre, Thursday, December 1.
Reviewed by Will Engel
(extract)
Folk icon Joan Baez touched the Lobero audience last Thursday night with her heavenly vocals and determined social activism. Baez opened her set with a spiritual performance of The Band’s “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down,” and she had every soul in the packed theatre joining her for the chorus. Her radiant energy filled the room, but Baez was just getting started. During her heartfelt rendition of “The Scarlet Tide” (by Elvis Costello and T-Bone Burnett), Baez brought the cheering crowd to its feet when she sang, “Admit you’re wrong, just bring the boys back home.” Baez had set a pitch-perfect tone for this evening of musical precision and political passion.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

U.S. Fall Tour 2005
by Jim Stewart

http://www.joanbaez.com/ontheroad2005a.html

U.S. Fall Tour 2005
by Jim Stewart
(extract)

Tour rehearsals began at Joan's Bay Area home on September 28th, as she, Graham Maby (bass, guitar, backup vocals) and Erik Della Penna (mandolin, guitars, banjo, dobro, lap steel, backup vocals) worked on arrangements and a set list for the shows. A few weeks earlier Elvis Costello and Emmylou Harris had performed "The Scarlet Tide" on NBC-TV's "Today Show." Costello had revised his Academy Award nominated anti-war song from the film "Cold Mountain" to include timely lyrics such as "Admit you're wrong, and bring the boys back home." Joan found the Costello/Harris performance compelling and played it for Graham and Erik, who agreed it should be included in this tour's set list.

http://www.joanbaez.com/ontheroad2005b.html

( extract)

Joan's gold record single, "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down," with a solo verse by band member Erik Della Penna, continued as the tour's opening number at the October 21 show in Glenside, Pennsylvania. The second song on the tour's standard set list was the moving Academy Award nominated Elvis Costello/Henry "T-Bone" Burnett composition, "The Scarlet Tide," featuring bass player Graham Maby taking his turn on guitar and providing harmony vocals. Joan was quite pleased when an e-mail arrived from Elvis Costello, on the road in Brazil, who stated how much he and Burnett appreciated Joan singing their song with its powerful new lyrics ("...admit you lied, and bring the boys back home."). The new lyrics brought waves of approving applause at every show on the tour.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Why was she only "quite pleased"? I'd love to receive an email from Elvis :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/music/art ... 20Standard

09/03/06 - Music section

Voice of protest silent on Iraq

By John Aizlewood, Evening Standard

Alongside Judith Durham of The Seekers, Joan Baez was the finest female voice of the Sixties. Unlike Durham, whose body housed no political bones, Baez had a second voice, that of the articulate, committed antiwar dissident.

Now this elegant, silver-topped grandmother is actually in her sixties, her singing voice remains magical, as clear as a transparent bell and as true as a lie detector, whether on murder ballads such as Gillian Welch's Caleb Meyer or her solitary Spanish offering, Gracias A La Vida.

Alas, she seemed rather ill-at-ease with an audience keener to listen than to join in and who bravely resisted her attempts at campfire-esque singalongs. "You English are so reserved," she muttered after a distinctly uncommunal Stand By Me. More accurately, we English weren't marooned in the Sixties. Nor were we haunted by her ex-lover Bob Dylan: she sang three songs by him and one about him, but dared not utter his name.

Perhaps because she struggled to re-create the atmosphere of her heyday, her dissident voice was silent, despite 2006 being the most fertile ground for protest singers since Vietnam and a crowd who applauded the " bringing the boys home" line during Elvis Costello's Scarlet Tide.

It was as if Iraq were at peace and Democrats in the White House. But Joan Baez without politics is like Chelsea without Roman Abramovich's roubles: pointless.

She hinted at contemporary issues only on a majestic delve into Steve Earle's bitter but beautiful Christmas In Washington. Tellingly, it was the evening's vocal, intellectual and emotional highlight.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jh ... tleft.html

Daily Telegraph

A gentle night for gentle folk
(Filed: 10/03/2006)

Neil McCormick reviews Joan Baez at the Barbican

Singing her thoughtful, yearning, self-penned ballad about her '60s love affair with Bob Dylan, Diamonds and Rust, Joan Baez adds three decades to her original lyric. "Ten years ago I bought you cufflinks" becomes "Forty years ago". A ruefully raised eyebrow sends a ripple of laughter through the audience. It is the laughter of recognition.

Forty years ago, these people might have been dressed in beatnik or early hippie regalia, gathered in a smoky folk club, stroking goatee beards, joining in defiant choruses of We Shall Overcome. In the first decade of the 21st century, the former queen of the folk revival performs in hushed theatres to packed houses of mostly well-to-do, respectable couples of pensionable age.

They have to be gently encouraged to lend their voices to the cause, these days. "You English are so reserved," Baez admonishes them, calling out lyrics to Dylan classics as if everyone in the room doesn't already know them by heart. "Hard rain," she says, encouragingly, and a hum dutifully goes up: "A hard rain's a-gonna fall." It sounds as if they are more worried about flooding their basements than the end of the world.

I don't want to be churlish. I really enjoyed Baez's performance, particularly her focused renditions of murder ballads such as Long Black Veil. There is something curiously delightful about hearing ancient songs of jealousy, death and injustice delivered with an air of simple clarity and detached emotion by a 65-year-old lady, sipping tea.

It is a form of folk culture preserved in aspic, the performer and audience's reverence for the unadorned song suggesting the very steadfast formality that Dylan kicked against when he broke with Baez and went electric.

Baez was an engaging host, chatty and amusing, playing guitar and singing quite beautifully, accompanied by two versatile musicians whose fluid touches occasionally raised the temperature. And it was nice to see that the spirit of protest is still alive. Performing Elvis Costello and T-Bone Burnett's Scarlet Tide, ostensibly about the American Civil War, she raised applause with her heavily signalled delivery of the line "admit you're wrong and send the boys back home".

"I generally like to get to the point," Baez said afterwards. Forty years on, she is still preaching to the converted, and even getting them to join in, albeit in a mumbly, half-hearted, very English fashion.

Joan Baez's tour continues until Tuesday. Details and tickets: http://www.ents24.com
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=137424

Joan Baez
2007-03-06
New Theatre, Oxford

Joan Baez - Guitar, Vocals
Graham Maby (They Might Be Giants) - Electric Bass, Acoustic Bass, Acoustic Guitar, Backing Vocals
Eric de la Pena - Guitar, Dobro, Lapsteel, Mandolin, Backing Vocals

Lineage:
GM Pro Mics/Battery Box ->
Microtrack (48khz 24Bit) ->
Adobe Audition (Volume Levelling Songs/Applause) ->
Audacity 1.3.2 Beta (Track Splits and minor edits) ->
FLAC -> TLH (Fix SBE)

There was a lot of inbetween song silence, tuning, coughing etc, which I have edited
out. All inbetween song chatter has been left.

Setlist:
01 - Intro
02 - Farewell Angelina (Bob Dylan)
03 - Scarlet Tide (Elvis Costello)
04 - Gospel Ship (Trad.)
05 - With God On Our Side (Bob Dylan)
06 - Caleb Meyer (Gillian Welch and David Rawlings)
07 - The Long Black Veil (Danny Dill and Marijohn Wilkin)
08 - Stand By Me (Ben E. King and Lieber & Stoller)
09 - Christmas In Washington (Steve Earle)
10 - Lady Di And I (Joan Baez)
11 - Carrickfergus (Trad.)
12 - Coconuts (Joan Baez)
13 - Love Is Just A Four Letter Word (Bob Dylan)
14 - Finlandia (Lloyd Stone/George Harkness/Sibelius)
15 - Jesse (Janis Ian)
16 - Don't Think Twice, It's Alright (Bob Dylan)
17 - There But For Fortune (Phil Ochs)
18 - Miserable?
19 - Jerusalem (Steve Earle)
20 - Lily Of The West (Trad.)
21 - Diamonds And Rust (Joan Baez)
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This blogger has Joan's take on 'Tide available to share -

http://the-roadhouse-viander.blogspot.c ... -flac.html
johnfoyle

Re: Joan Baez covers The Scarlet Tide

Post by johnfoyle »

Joan is still singing 'Tide , even if this reviewer gets the song's title wrong . Of course , maybe she's doing the Freda Payne song as well and Mr Hochanadel is mixing up his notes.

and http://www.dailygazette.com/news/2008/mar/22/BAEZ_0322/

Joan Baez keeps audience inspired
Saturday, March 22, 2008
MICHAEL HOCHANADEL

(extract)

ALBANY — “I thrive on that stuff,” said Joan Baez of her fans’ applause, launching her second encore solo Friday at The Egg. She claimed it was never about the money, but about the adulation, “and you’re doing very nicely.”

She was, too — her moral and musical force working very nicely, and always about the meaning.

On the first night of her tour, she tried out new songs from an album she’s been recording in Nashville with Steve Earle (who plays The Egg later this spring). She also re-imagined some vintage tunes and re-examined her complex relationship with Bob Dylan. Her voice sounded a bit scratchy on Eliza Gilkyson’s “Rose of Sharon,” first song in her 90-minute set and one of the “new-old folksongs” from the new album. By the second song, the Elvis Costello/T Bone Burnett anti-war anthem “Bring the Boys Home,” she had reclaimed her familiar clarity and strength; which wavered only slightly thereafter. Her trio of drummer Dean Sharenow, bassist Mike Duclos and multi-instrumentalist Erik Della Penna delighted in the country lope of “Peggy-O,” and there were few of the rough spots Baez said she worried about on this opening night.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Has this song been re-titled?

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbc ... /ENTERTAIN

Darling as she was, some of her best moments were seriously political; many of her songs were anti-war protests that gave the Z all the ambiance of a '60s peace rally.

She played Elvis Costello's and T-Bone Burnett's "Bring the Boys Back Home" to thunderous applause and whistles.

"I might was well hit you with it now. I spent time with Dr. King in the '60s and it was electric," said Ms. Baez, once a constant figure at civil rights marches.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.mpbn.net/joanbaez/index.html

mpbn offering live stream of march 24 joan baez concert

(extract)

Joan Baez thrilled a packed Waterville Opera House Monday night with songs by a wide variety of artists, including Bob Dylan, Woody Guthrie, Steve Earle, Tom Waits, Robbie Robertson and Elvis Costello, and delivered over 90 minutes of unforgettable music, humor and stories that MPBN is happy to make available here now.

Under an arrangement between MPBN, Joan Baez’s management and the show’s presenters, Waterville Main Street and Der Simonian Consulting, the concert will be available for one month after the show as streaming audio for home or office computers outfitted with Windows Media Player.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

johnfoyle wrote:http://www.mpbn.net/joanbaez/index.html

mpbn offering live stream of march 24 joan baez concert

(extract)

Joan Baez thrilled a packed Waterville Opera House Monday night with songs by a wide variety of artists, including Bob Dylan, Woody Guthrie, Steve Earle, Tom Waits, Robbie Robertson and Elvis Costello, and delivered over 90 minutes of unforgettable music, humor and stories that MPBN is happy to make available here now.

Under an arrangement between MPBN, Joan Baez’s management and the show’s presenters, Waterville Main Street and Der Simonian Consulting, the concert will be available for one month after the show as streaming audio for home or office computers outfitted with Windows Media Player.
The Scarlet Tide is at 4min25s in the show.
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

johnfoyle wrote:Has this song been re-titled?

Darling as she was, some of her best moments were seriously political; many of her songs were anti-war protests that gave the Z all the ambiance of a '60s peace rally.

She played Elvis Costello's and T-Bone Burnett's "Bring the Boys Back Home" to thunderous applause and whistles.

"I might was well hit you with it now. I spent time with Dr. King in the '60s and it was electric," said Ms. Baez, once a constant figure at civil rights marches.
Maybe she performed Pink Floyd's 'Bring The Boys Back Home' and the reviewer mixed it up...?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Lester Burnham wrote:
johnfoyle wrote:Has this song been re-titled?

Maybe she performed Pink Floyd's 'Bring The Boys Back Home' and the reviewer mixed it up...?
No, it's The Scarlet Tide, but she sings the line "Bring The Boys Back Home" twice.
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

sweetest punch wrote: No, it's The Scarlet Tide, but she sings the line "Bring The Boys Back Home" twice.
Yeah I know, I was hoping that the absurdity of Joan Baez performing Pink Floyd's 'Bring The Boys Back Home' would be obviously interpreted as the (bad) joke it was... :P
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.joanbaez.com/latestnews.html

Joan has been busy working on her upcoming album.
She spent time in Nashville in December and February, working with producer Steve Earle, and a band that includes bluegrass veterans Tim O'Brien and Darryl Scott, as well as Viktor Krauss and Kenny Malone. The album will include three songs written by Steve Earle, two of which are previously unrecorded and "Jericho Road," which appeared on Earle's Grammy-winning Washington Square Serenade. Joan also recorded songs by Eliza Gilkyson, Patti Griffin, Tom Waits, and Thea Gilmore. At this time we anticipate a late summer/early fall release.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/2 ... 82/-1/tusk

(extract)

For the new album,
she's covering a couple of new songs by Earle, and his earlier tune 'Jericho Road.' She's also covered Tom Waits' 'Day After Tomorrow' and Elvis Costello's 'Scarlet Tide.'
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Does anyone find Joan Baez to be completely annoying? She was once in this "clown" production, Theater ZinZanni, in SF (at least it appeared to be a clown show to me)... At first, I thought, oh no, another one of those theatrical shows w/ a celebrity... and then on second thought, I realized it was Joan Baez and then I said, ah yeah, a perfect clown act.. There must have been some Russian jugglers in the mix, too. I assumed that whatever was going on in that theatrical tent was certainly lame. Anyhow, I hope she doesn't show up on the bill for Hardly Strictly Bluegrass. That would be totally annoying. I'll have to run from all the stages where she shows up on...
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

MOJO wrote:Does anyone find Joan Baez to be completely annoying?
Yep.

It goes without saying how many Bob Dylan songs she's butchered but when she starts going on about how important the folk music movement that she was part of in the 60's was, like in the No Direction Home interviews, aarrgghh, you just want to give her a backhander with a wet fish. At one point she thinks she's groovy because she says 'fuck' but it comes off so self-conscious and dorky (her body language is like, hey, I just said 'fuck', you know..)... There's a scene in it where Dylan is trying to write on his typewriter and for some reason she's there playing some song with that excrutiating voice of hers (and she still uses it like that, those long sustained pious notes, which shows she didn't learn much from all the apparent change in the 60's, it sounds so puritanical). He's so clearly uncomfortable, fidgeting in his chair, yet she doesn't click that he wishes she would STFU. And at the time of the doc she was still making a big deal over realizing that Dylan was never really that into her (ostensibly trying to downplay it and be selfdeprecating but overdoing it in that clumsy way of hers, she seems to have become a bit butch in her old age)...

So yeah, she's quite annoying... :lol: