Da Bruce Springsteen Council

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Extreme Honey

Da Bruce Springsteen Council

Post by Extreme Honey »

Best Springsteen albums (unranked):

The Wild, the innocent and the E street shuffle
Bron in the USA
Born to run
Greeting from Asbury park, NJ
Darkness on the edge of town
The Ghost of Tom Joad

Worst album:
The Rising
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

I only have Born To Run, Darkness..., The River, Born In The USA and Tunnel of Love and I love them all. I gave Nebraska a shot but thought it was a tough listen even though I like the songs on their own. I really like what I've heard of the first two but I havn't had time to get them yet. I don't dare to listen to anything past Tunnel.

Current favourite: The River
The one that keeps coming back as my favourite: Darkness...
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Ranking studio albums only

Indespensible, in my opinion - 5 stars:

1. The River
2. Born To Run
3. Darkness On The Edge of Town
4. The Wild, The Innocent & The E-Street Shuffle
5. Nebraska

Nice to have.. 3 to 4 stars

6. Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J.
7. The Ghost of Tom Joad
8. Born In The U.S.A.
9. The Rising
10. Devils & Dust
11. Tunnel Of Love

Kinda crap... 2 stars or so

12. Lucky Town
13. Human Touch
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I only own a few Bruce Springsteen records, but I think they're all terrific. I've heard others that I didn't bother to but. They're listed last.

Own and love, in no particular order:

The Ghost of Tom Joad
Nebraska
The Rising
Born in the USA
The River
Born to Run
Devils and Dust

No plans to ever buy:
Human Touch
Lucky Town
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

1. Born to Run
2. Darkness on the Edge of Town
3. The Wild, The Innocent & The E-Street Shuffle
4. The River
5. Greetings of Asbury Park, N.J
6. Nebraska
7. Tunnel of Love
8. Born in the USA
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

As above, I can only rank what I know well or own, so:

1. Nebraska
2. Darkness On The Edge Of Town
3. The Ghost Of Tom Joad
4. Born To Run
5. Born In The USA
6. The Rising
7. Devils & Dust
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

10/10
Nebraska
Tunnel Of Love
The Ghost Of Tom Joad
Devils & Dust

8-10/10
The Wild, The Innocent & the E Street Shuffle
Born To Run
Darkness On The Edge Of Town
The River

7-9/10
Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ
Born In The USA
Lucky Town
The Rising

4-5/10
Human Touch

I can understand Human Touch copping some flak for too many forgettable songs and for sounding a bit like an 80's leftover, but I think Lucky Town comes together well as an album. The songs are good to superb, imo. The River would depress me when I first listened to Bruce (I was 19) so LT may yet grow on someone doubting it. Human Touch is worth having for With Every Wish alone, but also for I Wish I Were Blind, Real World and a couple of others... don't pass it up at the bargain bin.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

1. born to run
2. greetings from asbury park, nj
3. the river
4. darkness on the edge of town
5. the rising
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

Anyone else think Bruce kinda jumped the shark big time?
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

He still puts on a helluva live show.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Extreme Honey wrote:Anyone else think Bruce kinda jumped the shark big time?
So what if he has? As an artist, does he not have the right to do whatever he wishes with what comes out of his head and heart? If it has commercial value, does it necessarily lose its artistic value? Or are you more concerned with the motive?
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
LittleFoole

Post by LittleFoole »

Essential : the first three lp's...

Greetings From Asbury Park

The Wild, The Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle

Born to Run

.................the rest don't matter much.................I LOVED the eary years........seeing early Springsteen and the E Street Band was an "experience," to say the least. Same with "most" "artists." After a few albums, they get all comfy and churn out shiit......I hate that, but, what're ya gonna do ???!!!???
verena

Post by verena »

Perhaps try not to choke them artists with too high expectations. Even geniuses are human, Little Fool. If they are pushed too hard they fall.

The wisest would be to just take whatever comes our way, deal with the bad and be grateful for the good. Be prepared to bleed and learn not to expect.

You know what ? That is impossible. Whatever we may achieve, we are also doomed to fail, to a certain extent, one way or another.
Does life stink ! :roll:
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Few artists can release double albums as solid as The River.
alexv

Post by alexv »

Ok, guys, I like a few Bruce records and dislike a lot more (which I see are actually liked/loved by some of you), but I have some pet peeves about The Boss, and this seems as good an opportunity to air them as any. What follows should be taken in the spirit in which it is offered: one man's idiosyncratic views on an American icon he thinks is grossly overrated (BUT I COULD BE WRONG). Here goes.

Agreed that artists who put out great albums in their prime should not be castigated for not failing to live up to those albums, especially in middle age, and agreed that we shouldn't choke them with our high expectations, and agreed that doing things for commercial value should not be overcriticized, and agreed that The River was pretty damn good (although, to be fair, that album is now,what, around 25 years old), but I kind of agree (a first) with Extremasso that old Bruce has jumped the proverbial shark. Why? Let me count the ways:

1. his fake okie accent, the kind of affectation which practically defines jumping the shark, bothers me, since I grew up in Jersey and there ain't no way Jersey people can out of nowhere develop Okie accents, particularly when, like Brucie, they lived in a mansion in Deal, NJ (and now in a mansion in Malibu) where even the help can afford to hire okies from Muskoggee. The fake populism shit is a sure sign of shark jumping. I am sorry, I don't care how many great records he makes, every time he puts on this act it makes me cringe, sort of like when Sting use to sing with his "jamaican" accent.

2. The hardest working white man in show biz hardly ever puts out a record of new material. What the hell has he been doing for the last 17 years? He's basically hanging out in Malibu, until his business manager tells him it would be good to hit the road or put out a Greatest Hits package to rake in some more millions so that the 7th generation of future brucies can live on trust funds. This lack of original output is a sure sign of a dilettante, and is criminal in a world starving for good music, which the man can surely make. It's not some Lucinda-like perfectionism, and it's not writer's block. To me, it's that the man likes to hang out in splendor and smell the roses. It spells B-O-U-R-G-E-O-I-S to me. Ironic, don't ya think?

In fact let's look at the man's output of original material in reverse order (excuse me if the dates are not exact but I think they are close enough:

17 YEARS IN WHICH HE MAKES 5 RECORDS AND ONLY ONE IS WORTH A DAMN (IMHO)

2005: Dust (boring)
2004: making money
2003: making money
2002: The Rising (WHO CARES ABOUT THE SHARK, Masso, GREAT RECORD)
2001: making money
2000-1996: mo money (can you imagine EC hanging out this long?)
1995: Joad (crap, wait, affected crap which is worse)
1994-93: money
1992: Lucky Town and the companion (both crap)
1991-88: money (SHARK JUMPING TIME!!) (SHARK JUMPING TIME!!)

81-87: 3 GREAT RECORDS IN 6 YEARS (THE SHARK BE APPROACHING)

1987: Tunnel of Love (great record) (THE WEIGHT OF SUCCESS; THE WEIGHT OF EXPECTATIONS; THE WEIGHT LIFTING; THE FLAG WAVING; THE I WANT TO BE ALONE ACT; THE BOURGENING SELF-CONSCIOUSSNESS ALL SERVE AS BAIT FOR OUR SHARK)
87-85: money (this is the beginning of the future pattern)
84: Born in the USA (great record) (BRUCE PEAKS AND SHARK SPOTS HIM)
83: money
82: Nebraska (boring, but great record)
81: money

5 RECORDS IN 7 YEARS AND FOR 2 OF THOSE YEARS HE COULDN'T RECORD (AND TWO ARE GREAT RECORDS) BRUCE BE ROLLING!!

80: The River (great double record, Blue)
79-78: contract problems
1973-78: four records (including 2 in one year, with one classic)

3. He is his generation's Rolling Stones, well on the way to succeding them in filling the Meadowlands as a 65 year old, with the then appropriate versions of The Big Sax Man and Van Zandt clones as his possee.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

More than a bit harsh on Springsteen IMO. You make him sound like some sort of money-grubbing charlatan. If he's so greedy, why hasn't he boarded the re-issue gravy train (as EC has) to milk more money out his back catalogue?

I've never been a huge Springsteen fan, but I respect his music and really like a few of his albums. I think he's sometimes let down by lazy production and subpar material, and he could probably use a kick up the backside (a bit like McCartney). But I saw him live in Albany a few years ago and was blown away by his show.

He's obviously not your cup of tea (and you're in good company, because John Peel couldn't stand him either), but I'd hesitate to throw words like "boring" and "crap" around when it comes to Springsteen.
alexv

Post by alexv »

WSS, he doesn't need to do the re-issue thing like EC. Check out his record sales. Everything he does is platinum world-wide. His method is to pile on the greatest hits and live performances. I'm not saying he doesn't put on a great live show. He does. And he has put out some wonderful records. But, his original output is criminally minimal (as I think I've shown in detail); he has put out a great number of boring records; and he takes himself too seriously (for my taste) and is now a full-blown caricature with huge affectations (IMHO, I'm not saying everyone has to agree). And WSS, with all due respect, there's not one good reason in the world why anyone should hesitate to state a heart-felt argument against any musician, as long as that person, as I do, recognizes that others may not share that opinion, and takes the time to state his argument as fully as he can. What's boring or crap to one person may be gold to another, but why refrain from stating your honest opinion? This isn't an RIP thread for the Pope!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

alexv wrote:WSS, he doesn't need to do the re-issue thing like EC. Check out his record sales. Everything he does is platinum world-wide. His method is to pile on the greatest hits and live performances. I'm not saying he doesn't put on a great live show. He does. And he has put out some wonderful records. But, his original output is criminally minimal (as I think I've shown in detail); he has put out a great number of boring records; and he takes himself too seriously (for my taste) and is now a full-blown caricature with huge affectations (IMHO, I'm not saying everyone has to agree). And WSS, with all due respect, there's not one good reason in the world why anyone should hesitate to state a heart-felt argument against any musician, as long as that person, as I do, recognizes that others may not share that opinion, and takes the time to state his argument as fully as he can. What's boring or crap to one person may be gold to another, but why refrain from stating your honest opinion? This isn't an RIP thread for the Pope!!
I've got no problem with you feeling the way you do about Bruce, and stating so. I just don't agree with most of it.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Not everyone is as prolific as Elvis or Dylan. Some people take a few years between records. Nothing wrong with that.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Blue is right, it might be the much less sinister crime of taking a while to write a good song, its not that easy for some people, some people write classic songs in their sleep like Elvis ,others take a while.

However, I do actually agree with a lot of what you say Alex, Springsteen was a big hero of mine as a kid, Born to Run and Darkness - well you dont get any better than that, no matter who you are - but my hero was the skinny guy with the beard and the bad posture and the beanie pulled down over his eyes, and NOT the big muscle guy who put a picture of his ass on his record cover. Born in the USA isnt a bad album, there are good songs on it, but it sure as hell is a really commercial one, and the Dancing in the Dark video made me cringe, and something about it all just made me feel betrayed as a fan of his music. Havent really cared about him one way or the other since.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Springsteen isn't an artist I'd pin my hopes and ideals to, artistically or otherwise, but I think he still has moments of serious, soul-touching brilliance. Not in the same way as on the early stuff (can anyone top Meeting Across the River???) but still. I think The Rising is a beautiful record. Sure, he's canny; so is Elvis, so is Dylan. None of these folks got where they were by being regular people, Lord knows.

He does have an odd way of speaking, though I never thought of it as fake Okie--I've always thought of it as half NYC/classic 'Joisey' and half Philly twang, which combination ain't unusual Down the Shore-- but I think you have a point, Alexv. There's some affected 'persona' in there as well, and more than some at times!

Dude, what exit? Funnily enough I don't know my own answer to that question. Bergen County's just too far north for that to apply, or something... :wink:
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

The fake Okie comes out on the Nebraska/Tom Joad material.
alexv

Post by alexv »

SMM, I grew up so far in North Jersey that the exit concept didn't apply. We settled in Union City when I was 10 and from there it was on to Weehawken and Guttenberg, living basically by the entrance of the Lincoln Tunnel. The fumes are probably still in my lung.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

alexv wrote:SMM, I grew up so far in North Jersey that the exit concept didn't apply
Z'ackly. Well you were just up the road from MBA! I was even farther north, and a tad west, in Ridgewood.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I've spent a little time in Ridgewood recently in my evacuee status, and all I can say is........ Posh! Fancy little burg, I quite liked it. As far as Springsteen:

No order, but essential:
The Rising
Nebraska
The River
The Ghost of Tom Joad
Born to Run

Next tier:
Born in the USA
Tunnel of Love
Darkness on the Edge of Town
Greetings from Asbury Park

Diehards:
The Wild, The Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle
Lucky Town
Human Touch

Anything else I haven't heard enough to form an opinion on. I didn't like the Boss until a few years ago..... I find that the older I get the more I appreciate him.