Setlist with Emmylou in Atlanta? Anyone

Pretty self-explanatory
hollyjam100

Setlist with Emmylou in Atlanta? Anyone

Post by hollyjam100 »

Hello,

I am curious if anyone was at the Elvis/Emmylou concert on Sunday in Atlanta? I am going to the Philly show and am curious what kind of setlist to expect and how the concert flowed.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

John E. posted this on the listserv.

2005-07-17: Atlanta, GA, Chastain Park
Elvis Costello with Emmylou Harris & the Imposters
- Bud Lowry/Mark Morgenstein/Greg Myrberg

1. Temptation
2. Clown Strike
3. Everyday I Write The Book
4. Monkey To Man
5. Country Darkness
6. Needle Time
7. Waiting For The End Of The World - intro Larry Campbell on guitar and pedal steel
8. I Still Miss Someone - w. Emmylou Harris
9. Sleepless Nights - w. Emmylou Harris
10. One Of These Days - w. Emmylou Harris
11. Indoor Fireworks - w. Emmylou Harris
12. My Baby's Gone - w. Emmylou Harris
13. Red Dirt Girl - Emmylou Harris on vocal
14. Heart Shaped Bruise - w. Emmylou Harris
15. Luxury Liner - w. Emmylou Harris
16. Pump It Up/Ain't That A Lot Of Love
17. You Really Got A Hold On Me
18. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
19. Clubland - w. I Feel Pretty
20. The Delivery Man/The Butcher's Boy
21. Alison/Suspicious Minds
22. Mystery Dance
23. Why Don't You Love Me (Like You Used To Do)?
Encore 1
24. Wheels - w. Emmylou Harris
25. Wild Horses - w. Emmylou Harris
26. Pancho And Lefty - w. Emmylou Harris
27. The Angel Of Death - Emmylou Harris on vocals
28. Gathering Flowers for the Master's Bouquet - w. Emmylou Harris and Davey Faragher
29. Love Hurts - w. Emmylou Harris
30. When I Paint My Masterpiece - w. Emmylou Harris
31. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - w. Emmylou Harris
Encore 2
32. The Scarlet Tide - w. Emmylou Harris

If you have Yahoo group membership,
you can check out some backstage photos of EC
here.

Here's one of Elvis with Larry Campbell

verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Fantastic set list. I wonder if the Elvis/Emmylou duets will change each night.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://groups.google.ie/group/alt.fan.e ... d6ae480778

...Elvis mentioned that it was the
first tour show with Emmylou and they had never played that setlist
before, and he was appreciative that the crowd seemed enthusiastic
about it.

Chastain Park can be awful when people are chattering over dinner and
not paying attention, but with Elvis that wasn't a problem last night.

For much of the first set before she came out, I could see Emmylou
dancing in the wings and applauding the songs as Elvis finished...they
seem to really enjoy working together. Dylan's former guitar player
Larry Campbell guested for much of the night after coming out to play
pedal steel on WFTEOTW. The Master's Bouqet (not sure if that's the
title) was Elvis, Davey and Emmylou on vocals with just Elvis on
acoustic guitar.

I hope somebody taped it...it really was an excellent show.

Garry
migdd

Post by migdd »

Hello, all!! Sorry for the late review bu this is my 1st chance to get on board after our extended visit to Atlanta.

Mrs. migdd and I hit town around 4:00pm and checked into our hotel just a few miles from Chastain Park. After a few moments rest, we decided on an early dinner (Chinese ****) after which we cruised down Roswell Road in the heart of Buckhead in search of Chastain Park. Within a mile of the park, ticket scalpers lined every corner and having scored incredibly poor seats in the very back rows of the venue, we decided to take the plunge and began to explore the "brokers" wares. We ended up trading our back row tickets plus just a little cash for box seats in row C - just three rows from the stage right in front of Steve. Later on during the show, we could view Emmylou Harris watching parts of the show from the stage entrance.

The Chastain Park audience was a bit creepy (to me anyway) as yuppies (is that still the word) unloaded their picnic baskets onto the tables set up in the pit prior to the show. At that point, the society lounge was open and you would never know these people ever realized they were attending an Elvis Costello concert - they were there to co-mingle and munch on sandwiches and friut baskets available from the venue's vendors. Although there were supposedly rules that all food needed to be cleared from the tables prior to showtime (which only seems the polite thing to do), nobody seemed to adhere to them and people continued to chatter and stuff themselves throughout the show.

Elvis and the Imposters entered the stage promptly at 8:00pm and ripped into a letter-perfect version of Temptation then segued into a great version of Clownstrike, which was appreciated as I've not heard it live since 1994. Next up was the Mersey version Everyday I Write the Book, which actually got the attention of a few non-fans who managed to clap and cheer between bites of goat cheese and Ritz crackers. TDM got it's major nod next as MTM, Country Darkness and Needle time were all played in rapid succession. And thus ended the first part of the show; after that, the Imposters would take a back seat to the night's "guests" and act as an incredibly versatile touring band for the majority of the remainder of the evening.

Smoking lead gutarist Larry Campbell was introduced to the stage, sat in on pedal steel guitar as the band ripped through Waiting For the End of the World. Moving over to electric guitar, Campbell stepped back as Elvis introduced Emmylou to enthusiastic applause and the duo of EC and Emmy began a wonderful mini-set of eight songs that included wonderfull versions of I Still Miss Someone, Indoor Fireworks (!!!) and Emmy's own Red Dirt Girl. EC and Emmylou seemed extremely comfortable on stage together and shared several happy glances and "time outs", both bopping about the stage during Campbell's and the Imposters extended solos. Larry Campbell is a fantastic guitarist and it was nice to see Elvis happily acknowleging Larry's blistering solos.

At this point (if I'm remembering correctly), after over an hour of watching the throng rudely stuff their faces as he, Larry, Emmy and the Imposters worked hard on stage, EC addressed the audience. "I've got to ask," he began with his now recognisable sarcasm, "did you get enough to eat? If not, we'll be opening Elvis and Emmy's Barbeque Stand out back after the show." He continued his subtle tirade, stating that they would also be handing out BB guns, so any takers could also shoot their own dinner.

After Luxury Liner, Emmylou and Larry left the stage and EC and the band began an 8-song segment that began with an obligatory Pump It Up (yawwwnnnn) but quickly took off with a rousing You Really Got a Hold On Me. A few nice touches during this part of the show included TDM seguing into The Butcher's Boy and Alison/Suspicious Minds which saw Larry Campbell return to the stage to play John McFee's lead guitar part with incredible accuracy and emotion. The main part of the show ended with Mystery Dance and Why Don't You Love Me Like You Used To Do.

After a short (30 seconds) break, the entire group returned to the stage and broke into Wheels followed by an incredible rendition of the Stone's Wild Horses. This part of the show really caught fire as the harmonies between EC and Emmy (and Davey) really began to gel. For years, it was hard to imagine anyone's voice matching Elvis' unique phrasing but Emmy solidifies what Davey has already proven - that a realy great harmony singer can take EC's voice to places it had been unable to go in the past. One of the evening's finest moment's came during it's final quarter as Davey, Emmy and Elvis shared harmony on Gathering Flowers for the Master's Bouquet. Accompanied only by EC's acoustic guitar, Davey, Emmy and Elvis' voices blended wonderfully. After 28 years of attending EC shows, this was, once again, something new. Love Hurts followed and a few Nazareth fans scratched their heads and finally gave into the song's sad, swaying country rythym.

Shortly thereafter, the show concluded with the full-band version of Scarlet Tide, joined by Emmylou on harmony. Elvis commented to a throng of finally stuffed stomachs that the song was not an anti-war song but an anti-fear song commenting on the fact that 55 people died in London last week while 56 people died in Iraq yesterday and that it all was never going to end until. . .

Two and 1/2 hours and 32 songs later, it all ended. It seemed to be the shortest concert we'd ever attended but was indeed a generous blend of rock and soul and country music. Central Park Summerstage is tonight - can't wait to hear the full report! Sorry again this one was so late!
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Great descriptive report, many thanks. I knew Larrys addition would be good, I wish I'd been there. Cant wait to hear the bootlegs of this and the other shows coming up.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Thanks, Martin. . .I'm looking forward to a keepsake for this show as well!

Hey, Miss Macbeth. . .what did you think of the show????
verbal gymnastics

Thanks migdd.

I take it you didn't take a picnic then. :lol:

I'd love to have seen Elvis l(a)unching into his tirade!
Miss Macbeth

Post by Miss Macbeth »

Well, other than being extremely overwhelmed by the whole experience, I had a great time. I now know why they call it "Hotlanta". It was very hot, but most of the time I didn't even notice it really. We were sitting right in front of a guard on the left side of the stage so the pictures I do have are blurry b/c we had to hold the camera in our laps and try to sneak a shot here and there.

I thought Emmy did great. I'd never seen her before and neither had my cousin, and she loved her. She had to use the words on a few songs, but Pete said that they really hadn't practiced with her that much so she did really well considering. Larry added alot that we're not used to when listening to EC...smoking guitar and steel pedal. It also gave Elvis a chance to cut loose a little I think because he had another guitarist out there. Like migdd said, he did break out the slide, it wasn't much, but it was very distorted and crunchy, and very delightful actually.

He did make fun of all the "sophistos" at the pit tables eating and talking it up, and I kind of knew that he would anyway. I really liked the set though, and actually I grabbed Elvis' set list on the way backstage.

Anyway, the man is unreal sometimes, and I can't even begin to express the feeling I had when he walked through the door backstage. I've never met him so this was a big step for me, especially with the intimacy of the whole "meet and greet" experience. There were about 12 of us back there and we had Elvis,Pete and Larry all to ourselves. I got some cool pictures, and he signed all the things that I brought. He was a great sport about it. :lol: http://www.elviscostello.info/pic/05/05 ... ndi_spicer

These are three of the pics that I got backstage. The one of EC and I is on my cousin's digital, so I'll post it when I get it.
"Did you ever think there's far too many people in the world"?
migdd

Post by migdd »

Miss Macbeth, glad you enjoyed the show and got to do a meet and greet!

Verbal, no we did not have a picnic basket :wink: as we had partaken in a rather LARGE Chinese dinner prior to the show. I did, however, lug a 25 lb. cooler a half mile from the car to the venue, after which I quite distastefully sweated for nearly the remainder of the show in Hotlanta's sweltering evening heat. Even the contents of the cooler didn't help much with that!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Sounds like a tremendous show! Larry Campbell was Dylan's main guitarist/multi-instrumentalist all three times I saw him, and I can only imagine the boost he must have given to the performances.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
verbal gymnastics

migdd - A 25lb cooler? What did you have in it? The meat for Elvis and Emmy's Barbecue Stand? :lol:
migdd

Post by migdd »

migdd - A 25lb cooler? What did you have in it? The meat for Elvis and Emmy's Barbecue Stand?
Mostly ice. . .should've just jumped in head first to cool off! :lol:
funstan

Post by funstan »

This was a great show, I was able to score front table seats, directly in front of EC, I mean front row center with a parking pass for $70 a piece. I saw him at the Ryman in March with good seats but these seats were great.