My secret shame

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
VonOfterdingen

My secret shame

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Now that EC is a high-profile intellectual artist we can all relax about our taste in music but don't we all own some albums that aren't too cool to love? I got loads - but i'll start out mildly

Meat Loaf - Bat out of hell

- can't get enough of that 70s sound :)
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-perl/music/muz ... 5&rand=026

The Nolans

Fave track - Attention To Me
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

:lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Beats meat loaf for sure :)
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Ok well if it's confession time I have several 'Take That' albums! :oops:

you have my permission to laugh like a drain Johnfoyle!! :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Is this the place to admit I sometimes play "Definitely Maybe" at full blast and dance around the room singing into a hairbrush? I think so...
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

The first two cassettes I ever bought with my own money: the B-52's, "Cosmic Thing" (not ashamed at all) and..."Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em" by MC Hammer. I was in the 4th grade, so gimme a break!

::puts head in hands and weeps::
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

The first two albums I ever purchased were Megadeth's Rust In Peace and a ManoWar's Fighting The World. I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with ManoWar but they were basically the last word in Dungeons & Dragons heavy metal. Lots of lyrics about 20-sided die, cloaks of invisibility and silver scimitars +2/+5 against red dragons.
bobster

Post by bobster »

I actually used to like "Chicago" (the band, not the musical, which I like a lot better and, of course, now there's going to be a "Chicago" musical....). Anyhow, my excuse: it was the horns, I tell you, the horns!!
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
alexv

Post by alexv »

I think Justin Timberlake's record "Justified" is better than The Delivery Man, there I said it. I also like that Alicia Keys song "I Ain't Got You" or something. And every time that Kelly Clarkson chick comes on the radio my foot starts a-tapping and I ask my daughter "Honey, who's that singing?" and she says, "Dad, ITS KELLY CLARKSON, don't ask me again!!. Get the record, already". Oh, and the Chocolate Factory record by that teen-loving R. Kelly, that's also better than The Delivery Man. I keep that little nugget away from my daughter (don't want her grooving to Mr. R). My confession is over. The Catholics are right: I feel cleansed.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

I've got a 46-minute Maxell tape with various Air Supply hits on it. It's great for yelling along to in traffic.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Been an unashamed Karen Carpenter fan for a long, long time.
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

I have a best of Phil Collins compilation. I do like some of his songs, and I love In the Air Tonight, but most of his solo work and 90% of that compilation is painfully cheesy. And that he just keeps getting worse and worse ain't making things any better. All I can say in my defense is I bought it several years ago :P

Worth noting though is I still love P.C as a drummer. His work with Genesis and Brand X is fantastic.

I also have a best of Erasure compilation, but I got that ages ago so it doesn't count ;). Also, some of their songs are probably actually kinda nice. Havn't listened to it for years though.

Now to point and laugh at others. The Take That collection is rather bad, but I'd have to pick El Vez' getting a Manowar album as the worst one yet ;P.
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

alexv wrote:I think Justin Timberlake's record "Justified" is better than The Delivery Man, there I said it.
You have no idea how much better I feel. I actually downloaded the album, and love it. I feel SO dirty...he's just a little white boy with peach fuzz trying to be the next Michael Jackson (before he became an alien)--but, damn--"Cry Me a River" is the JAM, yo!
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

bobster wrote:I actually used to like "Chicago" (the band, not the musical, which I like a lot better and, of course, now there's going to be a "Chicago" musical....). Anyhow, my excuse: it was the horns, I tell you, the horns!!
Their first album is actually pretty damned good, so long as you don't think about their future.

On that note, I also like early Rod Stewart
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

I am a little bit ashamed, but "Cry Me A River" is really, really good. I think my first real album was Ace of Base ... yeah.

And I also owned that MC Hammer tape, when I was around 10 ... and knew way too many of the words.

:oops:
bobster

Post by bobster »

BlueChair wrote:
bobster wrote:On that note, I also like early Rod Stewart
Personally, I think he should have packed it immediately after "Maggie Mae", but then he might never have met Brit Eckland....
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Hi, My name's Brian, and I'm here because I like

ELO
signed with love and vicious kisses
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Hey! There's no shame in that!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

SoLack, I have the clear purple 45 of one of ELO's songs, I haven't looked at it in forever though - was it Telephone Line? I can't remember.

I also remember dancing to the 45 of Jim Croce's I Have to Say I Love You in a Song in 4th grade.

My mom never would let me buy albums by one artist when I was young. She said they "weren't a bargain." She made me buy those damn K-Tel albums with combinations of Top 40 hits. Probably a reason why it took me so long to come across any good music in my life. :?
bobster

Post by bobster »

So Lack --

ELO rules! (Well, "A New World's Record" anyhow.)
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Jeff Lynne is a really brilliant guy, and the early (first two) ELO Records are groundbreaking. Heck fire, he was a Travelling Wilbury after all.

I still like the early Deep Purple records (my fingers are shakin' as I type this): "In Rock", "Fireball", and "Machine Head", followed by "Live in Japan"). I liked Ian Gillans voice from the very beginning (evidently, so did Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Weber). Ritchie Blackmore was fun to listen to and watch. I probably like them for all the wrong reasons, but this was the sound of my youth. I first saw them on December 7th, 1970, when I was thirteen years old. Fleetwood Mac was the opening Band, and I thought that they SUCKED!.

Deep Purple was my second show. My first ever concert was April 27th, 1969 (12 years old) and the band was Grand Funk Railroad, opening act was a band called Bloodrock who had a killer hit (pun intended) called DOA. Grand Funk show was thrilling, but I had no point of reference, and I was 12. I was looking for a Captain...

At one time in my life Todd Rundgren could do nothing wrong. "Something/Anything", "A Wizard a True Star", "Todd", and the first two Utopia Albums were in constant rotation, and I still love them. Finally, I really loved the third Hall and Oates album called "War Babies". Produced by Todd. This album rocks, and it was the record where Daryl decided that he needed to rise above the shlock of "Abandoned Luncheonette" and do what he wanted to do. Unfortunately, it was a commercial disaster, so he and John Oates returned to formula FM rock and made millions.

I am a closet early Phil Collins fan, primarily out of a huge respect for his abilities as demonstrated through the "Brand X" project. This is a very talented guy (or...was anyway).
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

spooky girlfriend wrote:My mom never would let me buy albums by one artist when I was young. She said they "weren't a bargain." She made me buy those damn K-Tel albums with combinations of Top 40 hits. Probably a reason why it took me so long to come across any good music in my life. :?
Ahhh, but my dear Spooky, I must disagree with the K-Tel theory. I believe that my wide-ranging, inclusive taste in music (or at least my open mind) is BECAUSE I had those KTel albums. I heard country (Torn Between Two Lovers) next to soul (Trying to Love Two) to rock (Kiss, etc.) to shameless pop (Fogelberg, etc.). Now, not all of these artists or songs have stood the test of time, but I was effectively programmed to have an ear for a variety of tunes. As a musician, having a rudimentary knowledge of those tunes as a child has made it a lot easier for me to communicate with musicians who play different styles than me. Oh how I love those KTel compilations..........
bobster

Post by bobster »

spooky girlfriend wrote:She made me buy those damn K-Tel albums with combinations of Top 40 hits.
I hope those were at least collections of the original recordings...Did you ever get one of those records they used to advertisie by "the Sound Effects"
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

bobster wrote:
hope those were at least collections of the original recordings...Did you ever get one of those records they used to advertisie by "the Sound Effects"

I remember those - a friend had one (a double lp I recall) - Autumn '73 - I think. It's all coming back - man those were some awful awful records.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.