2005-02 -01: Murcia, Spain

Pretty self-explanatory
notorius

2005-02 -01: Murcia, Spain

Post by notorius »

Ok, I've arrived from Murcia. A strange show, I think. There wasn't any sense of humour during the show, and the set was very hard, with a lot of bizarre guitars from Elvis. Anyway, a great concert, especially Rocking Horse Road and In The Darkest Place.

For me, the highlight was once the show have finished, cos I could talk for a minute with Elvis while he was waiting in the van to leave the city. He was very kind...

One more thing, I've got the setlist from the tableboard and it doesn't match a lot with the performance, leaving out tunes like 'Brilliant Mistake or 'Indoor Fireworks' and replacing for 'Complicated Shadows', for example...

- I Hope You're Happy Now
- Tear Off Your Own Head (Doll Revolution)
- Accidents Will Happen
- Chelsea
- Rockin' Horse Road
- The Name Of this Thing Is Not Love
- Either Side Of The Same Town
- Dust... Dust 2
- Clubland
- Heart Shaped Bruise
- Tart
- All This Useless Beauty
- Kinder Murder
- In The Darkest Place
- Nothing Clings Like Ivy
- Complicated Shadows
- When I Was Cruel Nº2
- Watching The Detectives
- The Delivery Man
- Monkey To Man

Encore 1

- Button My Lip
- Country Darkness
- Bedlam
. Shipbuilding

Encore 2

- There's A Story In Your Voice
- Oliver's Army
- Pump It Up
- Peace, Love and Understanding
- The Scarlet Tide
verbal gymnastics

Re: 2005-02 -01: Murcia, Spain

Post by verbal gymnastics »

notorius wrote:One more thing, I've got the setlist from the tableboard and it doesn't match a lot with the performance, leaving out tunes like 'Brilliant Mistake or 'Indoor Fireworks' and replacing for 'Complicated Shadows', for example
That's not unusual. Elvis tailors the set to suit his and the audience's mood.

How was Elvis "very kind..." to you by the way? And how was his voice - there have been different opinions about this in the last week or so.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
notorius

Post by notorius »

About the voice, I think that his tone was 'baritone', not so loud... I don't know if that's the correct word, I'm not very good with English...

I mean that he preferred to use a low, broken voice. Althought I think that his voice was better than Hambourg show that I've heard from the Torrent two days ago.

When I talked with him, his voice was very weak... I suppose it's natural after two hours of show... and perhaps 'kind' is not the correct word, maybe 'charm' or 'pleasant'... He asked me where I came from and signed me the setlist...
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Cool.

Thanks notorius.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.murciarock.com/020205_1directo.htm

Elvis Costello en el Auditorio de Murcia (foto: Juanchi López )

ELVIS VIVE!

Concierto: Elvis Costello & The Imposters. Lugar: Auditorio Víctor Villegas, 1 de febrero de 2005. Calificación: Excelente.

Lo cierto es que, analizando desde una perspectiva meramente técnica, podría resultar sorprendente el estatus de superclase de Declan Patrick Aloysius MacManus. Pero la música, el arte, afortunadamente se rige por parámetros menos tangibles, más sensoriales. De modo que a la salida del concierto al diablillo malo de la conciencia no le queda otra que presentar su dimisión: ¡Elvis vive y se apellida Costello!

Con formato básico de bajo, guitarra, batería, teclados y acompañado por Steve Nieve y Pete Thomas -desconozco por qué no se hacen llamar The Attractions, como toda la vida-, Mr. Gafas de Concha ofreció un concierto brillante, versátil, generoso -más de dos horas- y hasta entusiasta, esgrimiendo un repertorio casi inmejorable. Con continuos cambios de ritmo, intensidad y estilo, aunque hablar de Costello es hacerlo de un estilo en sí mismo.

Ataviado con chaqueta ajustada y botines plateados, el londinense fue presentando un inventario sonoro en bloques de tres o cuatro canciones. Comenzó casi punk -cinco canciones empalmadas, entre ellas Accidents will happen y (I don't want to go to) Chelsea, antes de decir hola- y continuó con series de corte ora más country-pop, ora más jazzie; ya más cantautor de tempo medio, ya más avant-garde, para finalizar inevitablemente pop con una sucesión de himnos de la new wave de finales de los setenta, de aquellas de quitar el hipo: ¡Oliver's army, Pump it up y (What's so funny 'bout) Peace, love and understanding seguidas!

Su espléndido The delivery man sonó prácticamente al completo, destacando la magia de Country darkness. No quisiera dejar de mencionar la que posiblemente fue la joya de la velada, esa In the darkest place, de su disco con Burt Bacharach Painted from memory (búsquenlo, cómprenlo, pídanlo prestado y no lo devuelvan, róbenlo, pero háganse con él).

Está claro que lo que ha hecho grande, enorme, a Elvis Costello es su capacidad para escribir excelentes canciones. También su astucia y personalidad para saber ir evolucionando hasta hacer suyos todos los géneros y seguir sonando inconfundible. Y desde luego su abrumadora sensibilidad para cincelar las palabras cual artesano miniaturista y modelarlas en melodías magistrales.

Bien, pues todo ello, absolutamente todo, lo mostró en Murcia. Junto a su no menos peculiar modo de rasguear la guitarra, nada pulcro pero bien expresivo. Costello no delega ni en su hermano y bien que hace. Si el sonido hubiera resultado un poquito mejor, ya tendríamos claro candidato a mejor concierto de 2005. Y aún así, qué diablos.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google translation -

ELVIS LIVES!

Concert: Elvis Costello & The Imposters.

Place: Audience Víctor Villegas, 1 of February of 2005.

Qualification: Excellent.

The certain thing is that, analyzing from a merely technical perspective, estatus from superclass of Declan could be surprising Patrick Aloysius MacManus. But music, the art, luckyly is governed by less tangible parameters, more sensorial. So that when coming out of the concert to the bad devil of the conscience it does not have left other than to submit its retirement application: Elvis lives and Costello names!

With basic format of low, guitar, battery, keyboards and accompanied by Steve Nieve and Pete Thomas - I do not know why they are not made call The Attractions, like all the life -, Mr. Gafas de Concha offered a shining, versatile, generous concert - more than two hours and until enthusiastic, using an almost superb repertoire. With continuous changes of rate, intensity and style, although to speak of Costello are to do it of a style in itself. Adorned with fit jacket and silverplated booties, the Londoner was presenting/displaying a sonorous inventory in blocks of three or four songs. Punk began almost - five joined songs, among them Accidents will happen and (I don't want to go to) Chelsea, before saying hello and continued with series of country-pop cut either the more, or the more jazzie; either the more cantautor of tempo average, or the more avant-garde, to finalize inevitably pop with a hymn succession of new wave of end of the seventy, those to clear hipo: Oliver's army, Pump it up and (What's under funny ' bout) Peace, love and understanding followed!

Their splendid The delivery man practically sounded the complete one, emphasizing the magic of Country darkness. It did not want to let mention the one that was possibly the jewel of the evening, that In the darkest pleases, of its disc with Burt Bacharach Painted from memory (búsquenlo, cómprenlo, pídanlo rendered and do not give back it, róbenlo, but háganse with him). It is clear that what has made great, enormous, to Elvis Costello it is its capacity to write excellent songs. Also its cleverness and personality to know how to be evolving until making the his all sorts and continuing sounding unmistakable. And of course its overwhelming sensitivity to chisel the words as miniaturista craftsman and to model them in melodías skillful. Well, because all it, absolutely everything, showed it in Murcia. Next to his not less peculiar way of rasguear the guitar, nothing pulcro but well expressive. Costello delegates neither in its brother and or who does. If the sound had been just a little bit better, we would already know clearly candidate to better concert of 2005. And even so, what devils.