Best Meals of 2004

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Boy With A Problem

Best Meals of 2004

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I did one of these last year – and what the hell; I’ll do it again this year. I moved from the States to the UK this year, and my job requires me to spend a lot of time on the road – which would be way cooler if I could actually see a lot of stuff, but it’s mostly work. One of the major fringe benefits of traveling is that I get to eat a ton of good food (I gained too much weight this year) – Interestingly last year – Lamb on a Stick Oriental (at the Athens Restaurant in Manchester, NH) came in at number 4 – this year I was able to have a lamb right near the Parthenon in Athens and it wasn’t half a good as in Manchester (too salty and not as tender) – go figure – Hopefully nothing as controversial as last year – I recall Oily Slick taking me to task for listing the grouper sandwich at Mugs and Jugs in Clearwater (http://www.mugsnjugs.com/) - a lot of times it's as much about the atmosphere as it is the food - lot's of good stuff got left out, but here's the top five -

Paella – La Pepica, Valencia, Spain - http://www.lapepica.com/principal.htm - I’m a fiend for rice and spice and this is the best combination I’ve ever had – this was a chicken paella that I couldn’t stop eating – and the portion was incredible – the Spanish are not shy about eating at lunch time. We ate on the terrace facing the beach – the only drawback was that I was wearing a suit in the 90-degree and humid weather. Pictures of Ernest Hemingway eating there on the wall were a nice touch. Paella originates in Valencia and La Pepica is one of the more famous paella restaurants there and absolutely lives up to the hype.

Spare Ribs, Den Beer, Mechelen, Belgium – http://www.trabel.com/mechelen.htm - Maybe it was the 9% beer I had while waiting for the ribs – but they were wicked good and covered in a really sweet sauce and I got it all over my face and shirt – technically probably not as good as Corky’s in Memphis (http://www.corkysbbq.com/) but the outdoor dining facing the town square in Mechelen on a warm fall evening with some of the best tasting beer I’ve ever had, ranks this high on the list of memorable meals of 2004. Our Belgian office is located in Mechelen and after four or five trips I don’t think I’ve had a bad eating experience.

Lamb Vindaloo – Hook Tandoori, Hook, Hampshire – http://www.hooktandoori.co.uk/ - Kind of pricey (I’m paying for this one out of my own pocket) – but worth it for special occasions. This could be my all time favorite Indian place (India Quality in Kenmore Square - http://www.indiaqualityrest.com/review.html has to rate right up there) – everything about Hook Tandoori is wonderful – perfect starters with five different dipping sauces, tender meats, subtle spices, a varied menu, impeccable service and it’s within walking distance.

Seafood Risotto – Al Porto, Milan - http://www.ristoratori.it/alporto/index.php - You already know I love rice – and if it’s paella in Valencia then it has to be risotto in Milan. The people from our office in Milan love seafood and they claim that Milan has the best seafood in Italy (which strikes me as curious, because Milan isn’t really that close to the ocean) – anyway the seafood risotto here can’t be beat – all safronny with big pieces of clams and calamari floating around – it’s only starter course – but the highlight of the meal.

Roast Beef Grinder – Milano’s, Concord, NH http://www.concord.k12.nh.us/alumni/his ... tables.htm - link to notable alums from my old high school, of which I am not one. There’s no link to this undistinguished pizza place in Concord (when I was growing up it was known as Brother’s Pizza and for some reason I used to get the hamburger pizza there) on Broadway near West Street. Don’t let the name fool you, it’s run by Greeks (if you want real Italian pizza in Concord – go to Vinnies – anyway, when I was at my parents house for Thanksgiving – I was craving a roast beef grinder with olive oil, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, provolone, onions and hot peppers – I got it at Milano’s and it hit the spot – you just can’t get a good grinder in the UK.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Well, that all sounds delish. I was just raving on the NYE thread about the paella I had on Christmas Eve.

I had a lot of great eats this year, but as we're on the topic of, ahem, Grinders, I should say this is the year I rediscovered the Italian sub in all its guises (and by all its names, including grinder, a word I suspect baffled some of you).

This was inspired by the fact that my Dad now lives within littering distance of the famed Hoagie Haven (Princeton, NJ). There's nothin' like their #1, with lots of shredded lettuce and onion, hot peppers, and of course, oil, red wine vingear, salt, pepper, & oregano. Oh yes and all the meat.

Mmm.... hoagies.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I can't remember these things as vividly, but I think 2004 was the year I discovered that one of the best Indian restaurants in town (The Host) was practically within walking distance from my house (which is a big deal in suburbia). Needless to say, they know me there.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Two words, Four syllables...

Chicken Whopper.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

That sure sounds like quality, wehitandrun :lol:

Surely Boston has more to offer than Burger King?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

BlueChair wrote:

Surely Boston has more to offer than Burger King?
I'm actually a closet BK addict (though only in the US-- had some in London-- pleccch) but even I dare not compare the wares at BK with what they make here, home of the best burger you'll get round these parts, or anywhere:

laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

It's all about curry...

best in Glasgow are Mr Singhs and Cafe India, both in the fashionable west end (which is of course, where the Crow - being such a socialite, man of the world and such, is to be found on many an evening).

The smaller Cafe India is great too....tapas-style Indian, what an idea!
A rope leash

More beans Mr. Taggert?

Post by A rope leash »

This reminds me of the documentary that is included on the Blazing Saddles DVD. Mel Brooks talks about meetings he had with actors and producers thirty years ago, and he remembers what they had to eat!

I had a nice steak in some little town up in the Rockies this past summer. I don't remember the name.

My best beef experience ever was also during this past summer. I kept telling my brother-in-law that he was burning up the meat. He kept telling me to shut up.

It was a nirvanic eating experience. I haven't spoken to him since.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

A chinese hot noodle dish with vegies and finely cut pork.
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

I am a sushi addict. There's a place on the west side of town that has the best cheap sushi I've ever had --Indianapolis is home to a Japanese steakhouse called Ginza. For less than $20, you can have way too much of the freshest, yummiest fish and rice ever. The chef there looks l little like Tommy Chong, which adds to the fun.

Soul food is another weakness. Country Kitchen feels like home--it's in a kinda scary neighborhood right outside of downtown, but it's totally worth it. They serve fresh-made lemonade in Mason jars. Nearly everything on the menu is fried and/or served with gravy. They even have salmon patties and rice, which was a staple in my home growing up.

Then there's the Abbey, a coffeehouse a block away from my apartment. Aside from kick ass coffee, they also serve incredible vegan dishes. Vegan cheesecake? Yes, it's good.
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
bobster

Post by bobster »

This year was notable for my continuing discovery of Vietnamese cuisine, quite common here behind the Orange Curtain.

Lee's Sandwiches -- featuring the world yummiest spread, which is actually a kind of pork pate (the most expensive sandwich: $2.25!!!! Great, super-sweet, strong coffee, iced and hot, there too). Had some great Pho at various places as well.

Also, was up in No Cal and had a rare moment of gourmetishness at the cafe of the world famous Chez Panisse in Berkeley. Most of it was good but not transporting -- except for these amazing beets. I mean it was the beetiest.

And, is it my imagination, or has BlueChair suddenly become much suaver and debonair, less Clintonian?
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

shatterproof wrote:
SoLikeCandy wrote:Vegan cheesecake? Yes, it's good.
That sounds really interesting. I just tried soy cheese (trying to go off dairy) and it ain't half bad. But I'm guessing this is made with tofu as the cheese substitute? Is that right?
Yes, it's tofu-ish. I'm not a huge fan of soy cheeses, but there are some that are pretty damn good. Ice cream is another weakness, and Soy Dream and Rice Dream make some of the best ice cream-like desserts ever.
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

shatterproof wrote:
SoLikeCandy wrote:Soy Dream and Rice Dream make some of the best ice cream-like desserts ever.
You are absolutely right! Rice Dream Treats kick ass! Tofuti Cuties aren't bad either.
I just had to chime in on the Rice Dream love fest. Them's the shizzle.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Not a lot of great eats this year, unfortunately, as we are usually tied down at home with the little ones (since my father and stepmother moved further away, we have been experiencing a severe babysitter shortage).

I went to Artisanal, in Manhattan, for my birthday and enjoyed it. Not exactly the most romantic of spots - more of a loud brasserie - but if you are into cheeses, it's the place for you. The themed flights of unusual cheeses paired with wines for dessert were a lot of fun.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

My two favorite meals this year were homemade...for my mother's birthday I made her an endive salad with mustard vinaigrette and garlic croutons (both homemade) and then on Xmas she made me a vegetarian lasagna to die for. Nothing I've eaten in restaurants could compare to those two meals.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Ah, home cooking... I'm tempted to cite the beef stew with dumplings my mother sent me into paroxysms of ecstasy with the other day, but travelling for my work occasionally makes it too tempting to follow BWAP's example. By the way, Madrid is the same as Milan re fish, and a lot more land-locked! Because fish is highly appreciated in these countries, the ritziest cities feature it as a proud emblem of their wealth.

1. Istanbul, fish restaurant, on the Asian side near the first bridge over the Bosphorous. Fish is highly prized here too, and the Bosphorous fish is very good. Blue fish is one of the most typical, and I had it here, after a selection of fabulous mezze, including perfectly ripe and fragrant melon. A real trad place, the first room was the equivalent of a pub for the locals, with no women ever seen there. They go in the second room, a little less hardcore, and where we went, being of mixed gender. Turkish food is generally excellent, very fresh, everything tastes like real food. And a few shots of raki (Turkish anis) to accompany, in the typical style, made it perfect. Let me know if you're heading there soon!

2. Three Horseshoes, Madingley, nr Cambridge. The opposite of the above's traditional simplicity, this is a gastropub gone mad, with 18 ingredients cited for every dish. But I was 40, it was a perfect sunny Tuesday, my wife and I left someone else picking up the kids from school, and went for a couple of hours of overpriced boozey hedonism. Perfect.

3. Barcelona, La Gran Tasca. I think that's the name, there's a chain of them in town. Or was it Tapa Tapa? Either way, fabulous tapas of all sorts, including the renowned cheese Teta Gallega, trans. Galician Tit! I've rarely enjoyed watching someone order a dish as much as that one, trying to keep a straight face. We were in a big gang with fairly well-known writer/expert on language David Crystal present, which I tried not to let put me off the nosh.

4. Moro's London. A separate 40th celebration! This place was very trendy when it first started up a few years ago (a friend cadged a Marlborough off Julian Barnes there at the time), but now seems a little more low-key. Fabulous southern Spanish meets North African cuisine, with some other Med touches. Highly recommended. Great bar over the road for caipirinhas, mojitos and table football.

5. Big place with both pizza and good fish on outskirts of Bologna! I was theremid-Aug, when the town has more or less closed down, though this restaurant was pretty full. It was huge, with a tree growing through the middle of it, and covered but open-sided seating all around it. There's something heavenly about eating class Mediterranean nosh outside on a warm summer's evening, especially when seafood is involved.

Just as well I'm off to Italy for two nights, I'm getting hungry! That was fun - looking forward to next year's!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

... indeed, it was awesome. I went to start the Best Meals of 2005 thread already! Staying in a town called Santa Margherita, down the Ligurian coast from Genoa. Homelands of pesto, and great for all sorts of fish and sea food. Sea bass baked with thinly sliced potatoes and black olives one night, and the same, mighty variety of fish baked in salt the next. the theme of fish baked in salt was visited way back when, and it always seems the perfect way to have fish. Full mositure, full taste. Pescis in excelsis. God they know how to live well there.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more