Who is you favourite Imposter now, and why!?

Pretty self-explanatory
bambooneedle

Who is you favourite Imposter now, and why!?

Post by bambooneedle »

Just thought I'd encourage some more discussion on the Imposters... I mean, who or what would Elvis be without 'em..?
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

STEVE NIEVE..................the most talented and the one who adds the most to the sound.
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

That's nice enough..
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Pete! Steve is awesome, but classically trained. I've always been impressed that Pete could handl the amazing variety of stuff EC has thrown at him. God Save Pete Thomas.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Pete kind of looked in his own world at the first of the Sydney gigs, yet also not.
normabuel

Post by normabuel »

Well, Steve and Pete happen to be in the RnR Hall of Fame, Dave isn't. . . . Could we replace Dave with Bruce?

EC has worked with many great musicians. In some cases (King of America in particular) with execellent results. I'm not as keen on MLAR, Spike, and KV, though.

I suppose I could part with Pete (who I tihnk is terrific) if we was replaced with, for example, Jim Keltner, or we could replace Dave. But I'd prefer not to replace any.
Last edited by normabuel on Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A rope leash

The imposter.

Post by A rope leash »

Without the bass player, they're just Attractions.

He looks sufficiently out of place as he backs up the vocals on Monkey to Man. He's my favorite Imposter.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

pophead2k wrote:Pete! Steve is awesome, but classically trained. I've always been impressed that Pete could handl the amazing variety of stuff EC has thrown at him. God Save Pete Thomas.
Given your spelling of handle it would appear Pete is classical too :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Well spotted, Verbal. Or did it just take a while to register? (which is not to say it had or hadn't for me 8).)
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

But who's your favourite Imposter?

My current favourite Imposter is Steve. Cos for some reason he seemed pissed off at the first of the Sydney gigs, yet he didn't overplay as had been his custom during the WIWC tour.

He did, but it was acceptable overplaying. Like the key runs during an inspired Tear Off Your Own Head (never a fav from WIWC, but this time it was ok).
verbal gymnastics

bambooneedle wrote:Well spotted, Verbal. Or did it just take a while to register? (which is not to say it had or hadn't for me 8).)
It's my first day back in the office since Christmas Eve. I didn't post over Christmas which is obviously going to affect that all impoartant posts per day ratio!

I don't use the computer at home although Mrs VG allowed me to once so I could post about the Bournemouth show.

Happy New Year by the way bamboo.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

But who's your favourite Imposter? :lol:

Best holiday wishes to you too, thanks Verbalmeister.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Pete Thomas. Others are replaceable. Pete Thomas is to the Attractions/Imposters as Keith Moon was to the Who.

I, for one, like it when Elvis rocks, both on recordings and in concert. When he lets it all hang out and knocks the ceiling tiles to the floor. In that scenario, Pete's absence would indeed be noteworthy.

Steve is cosmically connected to Elvis, and seems to know what he is going to do ON STAGE before Elvis does. Who hasn't been up close and personal at an Elvis/Steve/Attractions/Imposters show and not seen evidence of this...where Elvis whips around to his right and seems surprised...even caught off guard by some ditty that Steve is formulating during a solo or a monologue. But on the recorded song, I think he is quite replaceable.

I really like Steve, don't mistake my meaning. I just think the heart and soul of the BAND is Pete Thomas. There is a palpable energy that he creates on stage, and on record. Even on Delivery Man, in "Bedlam" and certainly in "Needle Time", Pete's playing is thrilling. He transcends the medium.

But what do I know about drumming. I do play the pan flute, however, and my version of Lipstick Vogue is killer with a solid set of spoons for the rhythm section.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
wehitandrun

Re: The imposter.

Post by wehitandrun »

A rope leash wrote:He looks sufficiently out of place as he backs up the vocals on Monkey to Man. He's my favorite Imposter.
Clever.

My favourite Imposter is Steve- he is the greatest musician of all time, and rocks the theramin with just one hand.
verbal gymnastics

Mr. Average wrote:Pete Thomas. Others are replaceable. Pete Thomas is to the Attractions/Imposters as Keith Moon was to the Who.
Mr. Average wrote:But what do I know about drumming. ...my version of Lipstick Vogue is killer with a solid set of spoons for the rhythm section.
I bet Pete can't do that. And you said he was irreplaceable!
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

I have actually seen The Who with both Simon Phillips and Zack Starkey on drums................they replaced Moonie just fine....especially Zack when they performed Quadrophenia....he had all of Kieth's parts down perfect.

Pete can easily be replaced, he's not even that hot of a drummer. He's ok.

Now Stewart Copeland............that's a drummer.
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

After listening to "Someone Elses Heart", and not being able to find out who was Squeeze's drummer for that album- I've realized he could replace Pete.
Goody2Shoes

Re: The imposter.

Post by Goody2Shoes »

wehitandrun wrote: Steve- he is the greatest musician of all time, and rocks the theramin with just one hand.
I thought all men rocked their theremins one-handed.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Unless we're talking about an enormous theremin....... :lol:
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

http://www.thereminworld.com

if you check out the "tips" section you will find that theremins can sense fear, so sometimes they must be held with 2 hands.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I fear that my joke may never be understood. :?
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Whar, you mean the one about Squeeze's drummer being the only one that could replace Pete Thomas ?
I suppose this must be Pete himself ?

By the way, I'll never forget Pete leaving Royal Albert Hall after one of July 1994 shows. He gave a few autographs (I got one too :D ), and with a backpack over his shoulder just walked off alone into the dark not bothered by anyone. My wife was amazed at this most "regular" behaviour.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

invisible Pole wrote:Whar, you mean the one about Squeeze's drummer being the only one that could replace Pete Thomas ?
I suppose this must be Pete himself ?
No, the theramin joke.

Pete thomas is replaceable by many drummers, but whoever drums on East Side Story is a great candidate.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

The question initiating the thread brings one more thought to mind: Do the Imposters have the almost mystical chemistry of the Attractions? In my mind, not even worth discussing. While we can talk about our favorite or who is least replaceable, the question of the overall product, for me, is an easy one to answer.

The Attractions had a intrinsic connectivity that is rarely seen. Imposters do not have that magic, in my opinion. Great band, but reduced to a brilliant assemblage of great Elvis Sessions guys when Bruce left. Seeing them live then, and now, tells the story.

Other bands that were frightening in their intrinsic music meld:
The short-lived but absolutely brilliant Rockpile
Little Feat with Lowell George before the cocaine had him drooling on himself
Brand X (the original band producing "Unorthodox Behaviour" and Morrocan Roll")
The original Pretenders
The original Pat Metheny Group
Talking Heads (see "Stop Making Sense")
Last edited by Mr. Average on Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
katoomba

Post by katoomba »

I'm with you Mr A.