Fave new Tv show of '04

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
johnfoyle

Fave new Tv show of '04

Post by johnfoyle »

Mine is Pimp My Ride.

see
http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/Sh ... p_My_Ride/

I can't understand why I so like it. As a non-driver or , of course , mechanic it should be a total no-no for me. However I still find myself
getting totally engrossed in it. Maybe it's the exuberance of the presenter , the bizarre , multi-ethnic lingo of the workers . Or maybe it's the completeness of each story . Whatever - it's just great! Of course it has to be seen on tape - the MTV presentation is saturated in ad. breaks.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Believe it or not, mine has got to be Desperate Housewives. On the surface it's nothing more than a rehashed version of Sex And The City for the family crowd, but it really is pretty clever. I didn't intend to get wrapped up in its insanity, but I have.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Monkey Dust - Not sure if it's new but it's new to me. Irreverent humour, some refeshing animation and a great theme by the Eels.
signed with love and vicious kisses
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

What's Huff like? It's starting here in the new year and since Hank Azaria is in it, it looks promising.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

New to me.... and my son:

STATIC SHOCK
http://www2.warnerbros.com/web/staticsh ... kids_item5

TEEN TITANS
http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/ ... tower.html

I love both these 'toons. Smart, funny, great moral lessons delivered in Buffy-smart stories. Static Shock is more reality-based (if you can call a superheroes show that) and conventional, but really great in that genre, and Teen Titans is more absurd and fantasy-based. They're on back-to-back on weekday evenings here (Cartoon Network), and Jack and I watch them both together cuddled on the couch; it's our hour of TV bonding before dinner. We especially like to bet/guess whether the theme song to Teen Titans will be in English or Japanese on any given day...

My poor son, destined to be as geeky as his mom....
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Well, nothing for me, to be honest.

Just recently discovered "Spongebob Squarepants" with my 4-year old daughter, which I love - nothing quite like it.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Pimp My Ride is popular round here too. It's so over the top, from the title, to the cars chosen, to the reactions ('Oh my gawwwwdddd!') to the outrageous accessories.

I think it started in '03, but here's a massive thumbs up for Peep Show, which is managing to have an equally funny if not funnier second series. I crack up every week.

Shameless was a goodun too.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

SOPRANOS
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Pimp My Ride is also big at the Swung household - I'm hoping they'll pimp my van one of these days.

all I ever seem to watch anymore are reruns of Law and Order, the Simpsons & Buffy. And Armageddon whenever it's on (don't ask). Malcom in the Middle is new to me, in reruns, of course. Lois is my kind of mom.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

My dad likes Pimp My Ride, just because he likes the idea that "any car can be made better with the addition of a DVD player."

But my favorite new tv show of the past few years would have to be Arrested Development. This is the best written show on television, in my estimation; last night I was laughing at loud at the set all by myself (when Jason Bateman and his niece decide to karaoke "Afternoon Delight" at the office Xmas party, not realizing how dirty the lyrics are). I'm laughing now just thinking about it.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Who knew so many of us were auto fanciers...

Anyhow, as far as new TV shows -- technically it's from last year, but "Arrested Development" is definitely the best live-action sitcom in many, many years (including "Curb Your Enthusiasm") and I love it. It actually sort of redefines the sitcom by introducing something like a real story arc (though you can watch any single episode cold and get everything, thanks to great narration delivered by Ron Howard)

Also watching "Lost" which is developing really nicely, though it's occasionally a bit too grimly dramatic.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
bobster

Post by bobster »

And has anyone watched "House" -- I've only seen parts of this one, but I'm attracted because I like the idea of a sort of dysfunctional, cranky Doctor, sort of like "Cracker" if Robbie Coltrane had spent his time actually being a headshrinker instead of solving crimes.

Also fascinated by Hugh Laurie's transformation from upper-class English twit par excellance to curmurdgeon American. I'm sure 99% of the audience has no clue he's a Brit.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Talking of US TV, great family viewing this year in the form of Oliver Beene. It never fails to deliver, and the humour is lovely. It's nice to find something other than The Simpsons that the whole family can laugh at.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

None of these are new to 2004 :)
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Since we've been bending the rules, I'm putting votes in for Scrubs and NFL Football.
bobster

Post by bobster »

I should add that I, too, am growing to love "Teen Titans", the writing's been relatively thin on some of the episodes I've seen at times, but the last couple I caught have been alternatively very funny and kind of touching (Beast Boy, a great character, gets his heart broken by mysterious new Titan, Tara), and the animation is superb.

Also saw a couple of episodes of "Justice League Unlimited" (a newer variant of Justice League), one that was based on an old Alan Moore piece and was, yes, moving and really outstanding.

Superheroes (and westerns) make me cry, so what's it to you? :oops: :cry:
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I was watching Desperate Housewives last night (the TV programme, not my neighbours). I think this might have been posted before the board crashed, but there is an exchange in the episode where there is a break in on Wisteria Lane.

Susan and Paul are outside Susan's house and she's asking some questions to get to know Paul better:

Susan: Favourite Band?

Paul: Elvis Costello.

Susan: He's a guy, not a band.

Paul: It's a guy with a band.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?