"Night & Day" - Joe Jackson

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
wehitandrun

"Night & Day" - Joe Jackson

Post by wehitandrun »

I recently discovered the double-disc reissue of this album, and I have been listening to it like mad.

I've read that "Beat Crazy" is his best, and I've read that "Look Sharp!" is his best- but as of now neither has topped "Night & Day".

Anybody have any thoughts on this recording? Word on the street is that "Day & Night II" stinks, but I wouldn't know.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

All I have by JJ is I'm the Man, Look Sharp, Night and Day and Four, all of which I cherish and highly recommend. "It's different for girls" off of I'm the Man is one of my all time favorite songs. Ditto for "Real Men" off of Night and Day.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Night And Day is my favourite JJ album. It is a proper album in the old fashion sense, each track melding into the next. I also have the 'deluxe' edition and the bonus disc is good too, the closest thing to a EC bonus disc that anyone else has achieved.
signed with love and vicious kisses
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

N&DII isn't half bad, though I haven't actually listened to it in a few years. My personal favourite is 1989's Blaze of Glory, an excellent varied collection, I'm lucky enough to have a promo copy where the tracks are seperated. Night Music, from 1994, is a much underrated album, while his 2 albums of instrumental music, Will Power and Symphony No. 1, are also worth checking out. JJ and EC have been peers in many ways over the years, and, imo, Elvis has been playing musical catch up with Joe. Joe's memoir, A CURE FOR GRAVITY, is also a great read as well.
King of Confidence

Post by King of Confidence »

He's made some pretty good live recordings also. Summer in the City is one.

I will also second Blaze of Glory.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

I have most if not all of Joe Jackson's US original releases (few collections) including the 7 and 10" inch editions of the first two LPs. I haven't found much of his that I don't like including Jumpin' Jive and the instrumental work.
I really liked his work on the Mike's Murder soundtrack. I was very happy when Memphis was finally available on CD.

Volume 4 was a treat to listen to and it was wonderful to see him at the Roxy in Atlanta even if Tux did have to leave early.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I've been listening to Beat Crazy a lot, what an album. It is reminding me of Get Happy!! a lot.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Has anybody heard him on William Shatner's new album?
He appears on the track "Common People", it is really great. I heard it on Opie & Anthony today.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I am having a lot of trouble getting into this "Look Sharp!" business.

"Beat Crazy" and "Night & Day" are awesome.