Raves

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
El Vez

Raves

Post by El Vez »

While I am in complete agreement with Bluechair and Rope Leash that Rolling Stone is on crack (from your stash, ARL?), I always liked their Raves section so I thought I'd pull a Love & Theft and start one of my own here.

-Los Amigos. This is a fantastic little Mexican diner in Maryville. The food is delicious, plentiful and dirt cheap. The service is top-notch and it has fast become my favorite place to eat here. I've never been a big fan of Mexican food until recently.....Lelia being the prime mover in my change of heart. There are a ton of vegetarian dishes on the Los Amigos menu and it really is true what Samuel L. Jackson said in Pulp Fiction; "My girlfriend's a vegetarian, which pretty much means I'm a vegetarian."

-The 1st season of King of The Hill on dvd. This was given to me as a present a few weeks ago and the damn thing plays like the Great American Novel as animated sitcom. Along with The Simpsons, I think this show is the best and most realistic depiction of American family life out there. Also, as someone born and raised in the rural south it is heartening to see a major TV show that does not condenscend to southerners (Texans in this case) as slack-jawed, snaggle toothed wackjobs.

-Stay Inside by Vic Chesnutt. The greatest song ever about Jesus debating whether or not it's such a smart idea to come back from the dead.

-Yee Haw Industries. A very cool art store in Knoxville. They have wine & cheese-style gallery exhibitions along with their main business which is designing and selling gorgeous artwork, album covers and posters. Knoxville in general is a great town with an amazing live music scene. Anyone on this board who has a band (or goes solo) should try to get booked at one of Knoxville's many, many venues as well as get Yee Haw to do their album art. http://www.yeehawindustries.com

-Katherine Hepburn. She was my favorite actress and I miss her greatly. Everyone here is strongly encouraged to rent Long Day's Journey Into Night, Sylvia Scarlett, Bringing Up Baby, Stage Door, Adam's Rib and her SPOOKY turn in Suddenly, Last Summer for Kate The Great at her best.
Last edited by El Vez on Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Joni Mitchell - When I saw her live in 1998, on the bill with Bob Dylan, I didn't know many of her songs, and couldn't for the life of me understand the appeal of her. Recently I've come to realize that Joni is immensely talented, perhaps even the finest female singer/songwriter we've seen yet. She's quickly become one of my favourites.

Indian Food - Makes chinese, japanese, and even thai seem as bland as a baked potato.

Toronto - With hot weather, legalized marijuana, legalized gay marriage, and a buzzing music scene, my hometown has become a modern version of 1960s San Fransisco. Goodbye SARS, Hello Peace & Love.

Hoegaarden - Has been a favourite of mine for a year or two now, and has definitely become my favourite summer beer. Corona, I hardly knew ya!

Indie Cinemas - Want to see Breakfast At Tiffany's, Casablanca, A Mighty Wind, The Godfather, Annie Hall, Brazil, or Taxi Driver over the next couple of weeks? Try an Indie Cinema. Get to watch films you never got a chance to see in the theatres and enjoy cheaper ticket prices and snack bar prices.
A rope leash

Raves

Post by A rope leash »

Raves

The Ozarks - There's absolutely nothing but hills and trees, if you're just driving through. If you get a chance to look around, it's spattered with quaint places, mills, springs, rivers. The range of wildlife is rather wide, especially if you're into birds and insects. While you can still get lost here, you're never really all that far from the sophisti-hick cultures of Branson and Hot Springs. Nice, green, quiet. Hide.

The Simpsons - The greatest cartoon show in history, without equal in American iconology. That show tells it like it is, and is funny as fuck doing it.

JosieCat - No woman has ever put up with so much of my bile and stayed around long enough to tell me about it. I'm a jerk and don't deserve it. She can kick my ass, which is what I needed along. Smoked a turkey, yesterday. Sweet as honeycomb.

Ford V8 - I've put millions of miles on Ford V-8's, and I can't deny my allegiance to them. While I can't fault the 350 Chevy, I can garauntee myself miles of cheap and relatively powerful transportation with the Ford small block. The new modular V-8's are turning out to be quite reliable as well, and the one in my company van is breaking in rather sweetly, with a butt-jarring kickdown in the 55mph to 75mph range that gets me past just about any obstuction in short manner. The one I gave to my brother, in a pick-up, has about 190,000 miles on it, and it will still smoke the tires right off the back with no payload. Fun.

"...I wanted you to know what a fine car you have in the V-8". - Clyde Barrow, in a letter to Henry Ford. He always stole one when he could.

Fucking Foo Fighters - It's the only band that manages to get stuck in my head anymore, and the only current band whose cd's I have bought lately. I don't know, you might think it needs more cow bell..

Hey, El - I'm not on crack, I'm on dog food. So is Rowling Stone.

O, and there's nothing funny about a family of Texas rednecks. That show is unwatchable, by this dog, anyway.
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

I know i've said this before, but the Foo Fighters are incredible. They are the quintessential rock band. I've seen them at least 3x in concert and they have kicked major ass every time. Their video for 'All My Life' is without a doubt the coolest video ever.
And Dave Grohl is such a hoot too.

northeastern USA~ Without sounding like too much of a snob and not taking away from any of the other beautiful places in the United States, the northeast is THE prime place to live. It has it all...the four seasons, the shore, the mountains, history, probably the media capital of the world and probably one of the most diverse mix of cultures found anywhere. You are a matter of an hour or two from New York, Philadelphia, the seashore, the mountains, even DC and New England. Broadway! Shopping! You've got some of the greatest museums, schools, restaurants and clubs in the whole USA.
There are many beautiful and interesting places to visit, but there's no where I'd rather live than northeast USA.

indie theaters~ I've got to agree with Blue, the only place to see any movies worth seeing are here. You won't get this experience any where else.

QVC~ (home shopping network) Has revolutionized the shopping experience. Don't knock it til you've tried it. It's just what it says...quality, value and convenience all delivered within days to your front door. Just about anything under the sun. I'm not talking about crappy Walmart stuff (although I shouldn't knock Walmart because they do serve a huge market and I do my share of shopping there too). I've gotten everything from my Dell computer and my digital camera to designer handbags and jewelery to fabulous New York cheesecakes to my treadmill...all at incredible prices and great customer service.

videophones~ (My husband is in wireless services) and at first I thought who the heck would need one of those? (Although they're very big outside the US) But after seeing the guy next to me at the Elvis show standing in the line waiting to talk to Elvis with his friend on the video cell phone.....I said, whoa, this is cool. Whose mind wouldn't have been blown to see Elvis on the video phone while talking to your your nearest and dearest??
Honey, say hello to Elvis..... :)

New York style pizza~ I love pizza and eat and enjoy all different kinds, but there's just nowhere else other than New York to get A PIZZA! Pizza the way it was meant to be. (And even if it wasn't meant to be, there's nuthin like it anywhere else.) And sometimes it's just gotta be THAT pizza!
:)