The Death of Dr David Kelly

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
DrJ

The Death of Dr David Kelly

Post by DrJ »

Is anyone else troubled by this story? I am.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/3076801.stm

(For the US posters and others the background is that a leading British scientist who had been involved in a leak questioning the validity of British intelligence concerning WMD was found dead in a wood today.)

Discuss...

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Terrible. I feel real resentment towards those people who gave him a hard time at the Foreign Affairs Committee. I know they were only doing their job but one of them was vicious. Absolutely no need.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Very very strange. And worrying.
A rope leash

Awful doings

Post by A rope leash »

The way I read this, Mr. Kelly was fingered as the guy who spilled the secret beans about the "sexed up" Iraq report. The inference is that he killed himself, over his discomfort of having to hold such secrets, and perhaps over the fact that heads of state can make such covert ploys upon the general public, and he could be held accountable for it.

We'll see if this unfolds. Could it have been other than suicide? Who needs secrets like these?
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Well when the news broke today I was at work. The boss-nurse assumed it was suicide, I immediately assumed that he had been bumped off. This possibility hadn't crossed her mind. I think I'm becoming labelled as the conspiracy nut at work.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

Ah, Dr. J...

It would appear that Rope's paranoia is rubbing off on you, as well.

Some of the links he sets up are enough to make ME paranoid...

:shock:
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

I think paranoia's healthy. It's the new jogging.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
martinfoyle

Re: The Death of Dr David Kelly

Post by martinfoyle »

DrJ wrote:Is anyone else troubled by this story? I am.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/3076801.stm

(For the US posters and others the background is that a leading British scientist who had been involved in a leak questioning the validity of British intelligence concerning WMD was found dead in a wood today.)

Discuss...

DrJ
The UK media is going into meltdown about this story. Checked out the Sky relay of Dan Rather just now, and he's nearly losing his toupee about some basketball player I've never heard of. That says it all.
A rope leash

Buried

Post by A rope leash »

The story got a hot headline about noon on CNN, but since then it's gone away, at least at CNN.com. It's buried in the "World" section.

It's not even basketball season, is it?
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Ahh-- "World"-- I've been there! You need a passport, I think....
A rope leash

I never thought of that

Post by A rope leash »

It looks like he slit his wrist and took pills to sleep. It's hard to do, but I hear it works. He just didn't want to live in a world like this.

I can see why.
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

God bless the poor man. He struck me as being a decent person who was dragged into matters he had no understanding of. His poor family must be in great despair.

The whole stinking government are a disgrace. They sold out the true Labour traditions and they have turned the UK into a money grabbing, sleazy shithole with a paranoid big brother type mentality (that's Orwellian and not Channel 4). Nothing they say has any sincerity or true meaning - everything is superficial

As for Alistair Campbell - the line "I wouldn't give that man my hand, he'd probably steal my fingers" could have been written for him (and his boss). :evil: :evil:
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
sulkygirl

Post by sulkygirl »

I was always under the impression (at least, to some degree), that Mr. Blair was, if only slightly, superior to George W.; I'm beginning to believe otherwise...

:oops:
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

You are not alone Sulky. That is in fact the great talent this government has. It's all front. Everything is about image. TB has always been able to give the impression of being a hard working, caring and genuine leader who wants the best for his subjects ....sorry the people...

It's all bollocks. Do not be fooled.

The real tragedy is that there really is very little alternative. Ian Duncan Smith ? God help us.
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
shabbydoll

Post by shabbydoll »

I think it is really sad that he killed himself, but suicide is no one's fault other than the person who kills themselves. I really believe this.
A rope leash

Info

Post by A rope leash »

Here's a story on it:

http://informationclearinghouse.info/article4158.htm

Shabbs, no one else can be blamed for a suicide, but they can be blamed for hastening a suicide...

How you doin'?
sulkygirl

Post by sulkygirl »

And, it would appear that "suicide" (as the actual cause of death) is questionable, to say the lease...

:x