NN and BB

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

NN and BB

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

[Oh dear, just realised this thread name might make the wrong sort of person check it out...!]

Sorry, this is for those in UK/Ireland. Hope you comedy lovers are watching Nighty Night. Truly superb cringe-inducing comedy. It's getting hard to believe how much good TV comedy there has been over here in recent years. And series 3 of Black Books has been fabulous (well, episodes 1 and 3, missed 2, dammit). Manny's parents and the cocktail bar under the Italian restaurant table last week had me in stitches. And I'm going to see Dylan Moran live in April!

There's a generation of people out there who grew up on some very funny TV and who have that influence plus a sprinkle of a postmodern twist and the encouragement of BBC3 and 2 of Channel 4 to promote left field comedy, and the results can be superb.

For more on this and its writer and main character, see:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features ... 81,00.html

There's another one I've heard recommended but not seen, with some phrase for a title like 'Just something something'. Anyone know what I mean?
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Well, I've no idea about any of that but thought I'd commandeer your thread to say how much the little guy and I are losing it over the first volume of REX AND RUNT. The first episode alone (HOLIDAY IN VINCE) would be worth the whole disc. Nothing like seeing a conspicuously too-large submarine move up and down inside a claymation dog while the pilots debate:

"Head!"
"Bum!"
"Head!"
"Bum!"
"Head!"
"Bum!"

But I think my fave is the one with the shrunken cities. "We are pleased to announce you have won the lottery. Please find enclosed a check in the amount of ..Birmingham."
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

i'm seriously considering dumping cable for netflix. w/o cable, i will have no tv reception - but there's hardly anything on that i want to watch, well, except BBCA. but netflix is TONS cheaper.

so, when i eventually bow to economic reality, i will add such things to my netflix queue. thanks for the recommendation!

(and when i see NN i think: Newport News. one town over from where i grew up.)
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I love netflix. Worth every penny. This week, The Last Temptation of Christ, Witness, Blade Runner: The Director's Cut, Capturing the Friedmans, and The Jerk all came to my doorstep. Next week, Touch of Evil, Insomnia (the original), Ikiru, Throne of Blood, and American Splendor. It's all good.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

The following is a paid announcement from Netflix Corp. Not.

Yeah, Netflix has changed my life. I just popped SWIMMING POOL in the mail (having watched it 2-3 times, cause it bears it, I highly recommend it), soon to be replaced with the original LADY KILLERS; REX THE RUNT VOL 1 is in the DVD player; and AMORES PERROS awaits me whenever I can get some quality time with my comfy chair. Following those are a trail of other movies most growups with a pulse saw six or seve years ago.... All for $20 a month, which can be the cost of two videos if you keep them out a few days late. Who needs cable!?!

Sorry I hijacked your thread, Otis. Tell us a bit more...

And I want to hear from other people about REX THE RUNT. How could this not be more famous??
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Can someone please explain to me in a nutshell exactly how NetFlix works? (And yes, I know that "in a nutshell" contradicts "exactly." That's why it's a challenge!)
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

You choose a 'cue' of movies-- as long a list as you like from basically all DVDs commercially available. They send you the first 3. When you've finshed wth one of those 3, you put it in its easy little postpaid tyvek jacket, dump it in the mailbox, and they'll send you the next one in your cue.

So, you can keep number 2 for a month but send number one back after a day, or however you like. You have 3 out at any time, and it's a flat rate of $20 a month.

You can change your cue whenever you like. And they seem to have lots of local service centers, because the DVDs come and go REALLY fast. Often I'll drop one in the mail on a Monday morning and actually have the replacement in my Tuesday mail.

It rocks.

REX THE RUNT?
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

We have saved hundreds of dollars in late fee's since joining NetFlix. They are a remarkably well run company. Excellent inventory.

They are definitely hitting the retail rental of DVD's hard. And they should be. They deliver what they promise.

After 100's of dvd's, we had only one that would not function properly. Just as well. It was Memento, but we had already seen enough bu the malfunction to know that we needed to own it. SO we went out and bought the DVD.

So it works on many levels.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I thought BB was going to be either Billy Bragg or Bill Bailey. Went to see Billy last Sunday and am going to see Bill in June.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

selfmademug wrote:Sorry I hijacked your thread, Otis. Tell us a bit more...
I've said my bit, I was hoping to hear from similar enthusiasts, and all I get is Netflix and SLL referring to going to see the hilarious Bill bailey, but saying nothing about his role in the fabulous Black Books, surely the triumph of his career, not to mention DM and Tamsin off the Archers.

The other prog I was referring to is called Curb Your Enthusiasm.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I'm afraid that I haven't seen either your NN or BB, maybe I should stay in more! I have seen CYE though and it can be very very funny, although some of the episodes miss.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Black Books is bloody fantastic....just awesomely funny....ooh..I wanna watch an episoe NOW!!!
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Hooray! I am not alone.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

nice to see u about Otis. :D
corruptio optimi pessima
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Black Books is fantastic. Bought the series one DVD last week and the three of them (Moran/Bailey/Greig) do a great commentary throughout. The recent episode with Simon Pegg was very funny.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Hmmmm... just checked but that is not yet available via Netflix. :wink: