The Carpenters (no eye-rolling, please)

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
ice nine

The Carpenters (no eye-rolling, please)

Post by ice nine »

Remember me? I'm the one who started the thread on Mr. Fogelberg. Well, here's another artist I like which may detract from my coolness image.

Just watching an excellent documentary on PBS about The Carpenters. Included in the documentary were interviews by B. Bacharach, H. Alpert, P. Williams, etc., Early TV/videos of The Carpenters include a video of The Beatles' "A Ticket To Ride" as well as their own hits. What's most interesting is that Karen did start out only on the drums and she wasn't bad. Only later did she start to sing.

The Carpenters is one of those artists you really don't want to admit to like, but you really do. She had a pretty and smooth voice. Too bad she died so young.

The Carpenters (1970s):The White Stripes (2000s) ........ think about it
Last edited by ice nine on Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Ice Ice Baby (shoot me later)--you be here, ECFv2.0--you ain't got no coolness factor! :lol: :lol: But Karen Carpenter's voice--very cool indeed. Like a clarinet. Like Bing Crosby. Something in the resonance. And some (ok, a lot) of the songs were stupid, but much can be redeemed with a voice like that. One more lost way too soon.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

ICE NINE: The Carpenters? - no eye rolling?...oh im so sorry but I can't help it :roll: :lol:

It was shame though about her death - very tragic and sad. My partner used to tell a terrible bad taste joke about her dieting so she could fax herself to concerts to save money but we wont go into that! :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

ice_nine, pal, you are scaring me.

totally frightened of you now.

gotta say -carpenters? ick.

however, if we were to discuss barry manilow before he found 'smooth jazz' or whatever it's called, we could have a conversation.

yeah, barry manilow was my first musical love. well, other than jackie wilson's 'who who song' that i played over and over on my red battery operated record player. :) i was probably seven at that time.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

Carpenters - Pukey songs

Karen Carpenter - Voice from heaven

Pity she wasn't the daughter of Ross Macmanus.................could have been interesting
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
IStandAccused

Re: The Carpenters (no eye-rolling, please)

Post by IStandAccused »

Ice Nine, I thought you should know that EC is a HUGE Carpenters fan- HUGE!!
ice nine wrote:Remember me? I'm the one who started the thread on Mr. Fogelberg. Well, here's another artist I like which may detract from my coolness image.

Just watching an excellent documentary on PBS about The Carpenters. Included in the documentary were interviews by B. Bacharach, H. Alpert, P. Williams, etc., Early TV/videos of The Carpenters include a video of The Beatles' "A Ticket To Ride" as well as their own hits. What's most interesting is that Karen did start out only on the drums and she wasn't bad. Only later did she start to sing.

The Carpenters is one of those artists you really don't want to admit to like, but you really do. She had a pretty and smooth voice. Too bad she died so young.

The Carpenters (1970s):The White Stripes (2000s) ........ think about it
*"Common sense is not so common."*Voltaire
For those who speak French, "Le sens common n'est pas si commun."
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Not a fan...

And I'm not sure where you get the idea that Elvis is/was a huge Carpenters fan.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

They werent on his Top 500 Albums list at all. I dont think . . .
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

They came in at 505. . I think. :wink: All this inside information is yawn inducing.

Ice-Nine-I do have their Christmas album, doesn that count? Or have I only just begun? :roll:
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Actually, next to the first Narada Christmas album compilation (later version sucked), the Carpenters Christmas "Portrait" is a family favorite and has been for many years. The CD version is considerably more diverse than the original vinyl.

There is something chilling about Karen singing some of the classic carols. Absolutely beautiful.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Mr. Misery

Post by Mr. Misery »

I don't believe in the concepts of coolness nor guilty pleasures when it comes to music. Sometimes it's unclear why one likes a record, particularly when it is alien to one's normal style. In my case with the Carpenters' Now and Then it probably has to do with hearing it when I was nine years old; yet still I listen today and just enjoy it. Especial favorites on that album are 'This Masquerade,' 'Yesterday Once More,' and 'Johnny Angel.'
ImageImage
I've had you so many times but somehow I want more.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Unapologetic fan, and, like Mr. Misery, not for kitsch factors. I just think she has a beautiful voice. My band played a set of Carpenters songs 4 or 5 years ago at Halloween and brought the house down, which made me realize how strong the basic tunes are. We did Superstar, Sing, We've Only Just Begun, and Close To You in 'rock and roll' arrangements. It was amazing how many people knew every single word!
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

If, as IStandAccused is right, EC is a fan of The Carpenters I can hold my head up high and say that Elvis, myself, and numerous others are in allegiance to withstand the slings and arrows of those who think that The Carpenters are a joke.

One should not have to apologize for the things they find enjoyable.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
bobster

Post by bobster »

Jackson Doofster wrote:Carpenters - Pukey songs
Hey, some of them songs were written by some pretty great songwriter, starting with Bacharach and David. Not neccessarily they're best though, but still.

Basically found them sleep inducing, but prettily so.

And if anyone can find it, Todd Haynes ("Far From Heaven" "Safe" "Velvet Goldmine", etc) first film, "Superstar" is the tale of Karen's death told with Barbie dolls. Lawsuits from Richard Carpenter and Mattel have pretty much quashed it -- but it may be findable as a video bootleg. It has quite a reputation -- Haynes is a pretty remarkable filmmaker....
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!