"I Don't Want Your Lyndon Johnson"?

Pretty self-explanatory
tkoegel

"I Don't Want Your Lyndon Johnson"?

Post by tkoegel »

I am curious to know if anyone has information about the origins of "I Don't Want Your Lyndon Johnson"? I believe (am not certain) that I first heard it in his last concert in the U.S. tour in 2022 (Saratoga, CA). References here and in online setlists date to earlier in 2022. I heard him play it again in the San Francisco stop in the current tour--about 10 days ago. When I heard him introduce it in 2022, he told some story about finding it as a B-side in a Texas record store. But the posts here suggests that this is just "Playful EC" as he seems to have told variations on that story setting the finding of the song in different locales.

What is the song about? I haven't really been able to track the lyrics (beyond the rather simple chorus)? Seems unlikely to have anything to do with A Face in the Crowd. But such an odd subject for an original tune.
sweetest punch

Re: "I Don't Want Your Lyndon Johnson"?

Post by sweetest punch »

Maybe the song is from the new Coward Brothers project ( http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... =2&t=12078 ) and Elvis doesn’t want to give this away and tells the story about a B-side…
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

sweetest punch wrote:Maybe the song is from the new Coward Brothers project ( http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... =2&t=12078 ) and Elvis doesn’t want to give this away and tells the story about a B-side…
It certainly fits into an “ Americana “ style that infers a T-Bone influence !
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

'Finding it as a B-side' on some obscure blues single is a bit of a running gag for EC. He's done the same gag about 'Lucky Dog' and 'Tipsy Woman' at various gigs (while at other gigs conceding that they are Costello originals). Did he describe 'Tipsy Woman' as 'one I wrote with my brother' (widely assumed to mean T-Bone)? Or maybe it was even 'Lyndon Johnson' that he described that way? I can't remember.

Anyways...they're clearly songs written by Elvis (and/or T-Bone), and if the rumoured Coward Brothers project does come to fruition, yeah, they sound like they're destined for that. Fingers crossed.