Elvis & Steve, Granada ( Spain), September 2, 2023

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis & Steve, Granada ( Spain), September 2, 2023

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Man out of Time

Re: Elvis & Steve, Granada ( Spain), September 2, 2023

Post by Man out of Time »

Poster:
2023-09-02 Alhambra poster 01.jpg
2023-09-02 Alhambra poster 01.jpg (131.24 KiB) Viewed 39426 times
MOOT
Last edited by Man out of Time on Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

Hi, all...

Does anyone know if these Spain shows are standalone, or if they're just the first shows announced for a wider European tour? I can't imagine EC's schlepping over here just for three shows, but it would be immeasurably helpful to have confirmation one way or another.

I'm living in Europe, but that first weekend in September is kind of a no-go for me, for work reasons....which is very frustrating.

Anyone?

A
Jackson Monk Returns

Post by Jackson Monk Returns »

Looking forward to this show. 😎
taramasalata

Post by taramasalata »

Jackson Monk Returns wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:20 am Looking forward to this show. 😎
Me too, Returning Jackson Monk!

I will attend the show together with an old friend of mine, actually him being responsible for my near lifelong EC-addiction.
Inflamed by PTC in '83, our Elvis-fever increased even more in the months to follow with discovering his (then...) back catalogue, especially his all-time masterpiece of all masterpieces IMPERIAL BEDROOM.
Back then in high school in Southwestern Germany, being in wonder and at awe of a magical world of almost-empty gin palaces and two-way looking glasses, bassline makers, girls in windows on the Reeperbahn, poker faces keener than mustard, thousand pities that you can't categorize, throwaway kisses and and and...
the language was English, no doubt, but at the same time it appeared at least as mysterious as sign language, morse code, semaphore and gibberish...
Singing along the lyrics half-muted-half-whispering while being in English class at high school, our (much-adored) teacher rising her eyebrows more than once at our side.
So, yes, I owe him a lot, great to spend some time in Andalusia together and see the show in Granada.

Maybe we could meet before or after the show for a chat.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The Alhambra - one of the most attractive music venues in Spain:
https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/test/ ... ues-spain/
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Man out of Time

Preview published on 28 August 2023 in La Voz de Galicia.

"Cultura

Elvis Costello, que canta en Granada el día 2: «La música no era mejor antes, sino que era diferente»

A su juicio, la industria de la música para las generaciones más jóvenes es «extremadamente complicada»

El cantante británico Elvis Costello, que empezará el lunes su gira europea, asegura que «es muy fácil de decir que todo estaba mejor en los antiguos días. No, no lo era. Era diferente. Y había tantos ladrones y villanos entonces como hay ahora. Y había tantas personas tratando de hacerlo bien como ahora, pero son solo métodos diferentes», señaló. En este sentido, añadió, la creación de discos «no es lo que más dinero da», ya que la «mejor manera de ganar dinero son los conciertos; los artistas actuales «trabajan duro y a un ritmo diferente para planear sus tours alrededor de su nombre, y los discos son secundarios para ellos». «Tienen un trabajo colaborativo y están constantemente a la vista y en las redes sociales. Eso no es necesariamente para mí, no soy tan fotogénico, así que no puedo ofrecer el contenido para ese tipo de presentación. Aun así, los artistas de ahora encuentran su camino con el público de la mejor manera posible. Tienen que seguir y adaptar y usar cada innovación», incidió. A su juicio, la industria de la música para las generaciones más jóvenes es «extremadamente complicada». «No sé si antes era más fácil o es más fácil ahora, incluso si tienes más herramientas como las redes sociales, pero es un momento de limbo muy extraño», dijo. Junto a su pianista Steve Nieve, comenzará este lunes su gira europea en Roma y continuará el 2 de septiembre en Granada, en el Teatro del Generalife. Además, visitará Madrid el 4 de septiembre y Barcelona el día 5."

Or in "English" via GoogleTranslate:

Elvis Costello, who sings in Granada on the 2nd: «The music was not better before, but it was different»

In his opinion, the music industry for younger generations is “extremely complicated”

British singer Elvis Costello, who begins his European tour on Monday, says: "It's very easy to say that everything was better in the old days. No, it was not. It was different. And there were as many thieves and villains then as there are now. And there were so many people trying to get it right like now, but it's just different methods," he noted. In this sense, he added, the creation of records "is not what makes the most money", since the "best way to earn money is concerts; today's artists "work hard and at a different pace to plan their tours around their name, and the records are secondary to them." «They have a collaborative work and are constantly in sight and on social networks. That's not necessarily for me, I'm not that photogenic so I can't offer the content for that kind of presentation. Even so, today's artists find their way with the public in the best possible way. They have to follow and adapt and use every innovation," he said. In his opinion, the music industry for the younger generation is "extremely complicated." "I don't know if it was easier before or it's easier now, even if you have more tools like social media, but it's a very strange moment of limbo," he said. Together with his pianist Steve Nieve, he will begin his European tour in Rome this Monday and will continue on September 2 in Granada, at the Teatro del Generalife. In addition, he will visit Madrid on September 4 and Barcelona on the 5th."

MOOT
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

Just boarded the connection from Madrid to Granada and Toast is sitting up front. We said our hellos and he said he liked my tee shirt.
About to take off…
My head is spinning and my legs are weak
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

Turns out Elvis and Steve were also on the plane.
I had a quick chat with Steve as they waited at baggage reclaim. I’m guessing Elvis was using the facilities.
Toast requested I didn’t ask Elvis for a photo which I totally understand. It’s hot.
Cooler tomorrow for the gig!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Always in the right place at the right time !
Have a great concert ! :D
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

Inside waiting.

Stunning venue location but rain forecast in one hour.

Spanish Model playing over the PA, which is appropriate.
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

Show started at 21.35 with When I Was Cruel. The rain started about 10 minutes later.

Power went off as roadies unplugged keyboards and guitars to remove from the stage. They brought out a pop up cover to protect Steve and the piano, and of course Steve carried on playing. Elvis then tried an un amplified version of accidents will happen until they got the piano and one microphone working. Also one spotlight which gave it an intimate feel.
They carried on making it up as they go. Elvis said it was strange in a place where it hadn’t rained for 300 days that it rained tonight, as if someone was trying to tell him something. All good but lightening started to flash across the sky. Someone came on stage and whispered in Elvis’ ear and he then spoke to Steve. Elvis then told the audience they would have to leave the stage due to an electrical storm but would be back in 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes they announced in Spanish (obviously) the show was cancelled. Then Elvis’ voice appeared over the PA apologising for the show being cancelled but it was for everyone’s safety. Steve chipped in with how sorry he was and to drive home safely.
And that was it. All over by 22.25. The rain was getting more persistent but luckily the hotel was 5 minutes away.
To be honest I was enjoying the feeling of ‘what shall we do next’ about it.
On to Madrid tomorrow, where it’s looking very wet but the show in indoors.

So tonight we got (I might have forgotten something)
When I Was Cruel
Talking in the Dark (then power outage)
Accidents Will Happen (started un amplified then gradually power added)
Everyday I Write the Book
Waiting for the End of the World
Tart
?

I’m sure someone else will have it all written down.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Great, thanks for the review - is it your age that you can’t remember all the songs ? :shock: :wink:
Enjoy tomorrow it’s bound to be longer :D
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

sulky lad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:56 pm Great, thanks for the review - is it your age that you can’t remember all the songs ? :shock: :wink:
Enjoy tomorrow it’s bound to be longer :D
I think the distraction of the rain and lightning while sitting there in shorts and t shirt. Plus there was so much going on around them on stage with people trying to dry things and cover whatever wasn’t covered.
Elvis did say ‘what shall we play’ to Steve and I called out Tiny Steps. I think at that point they went into End of the World. After Tart, which was excellent, Steve said to Elvis’ ‘I can do Tiny Steps’ but I think then it ended.
At least in Madrid there will be some experts who will remember all that was played, although I’m pretty sure I’m correct in the six songs played but I get the feeling there may have been another one? 😂
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

It just came came to me, they also played Deep Dark Truthful Mirror! It might’ve been the song they were play when the power went off, so between Talking in the Dark and Accidents Will Happen.

I’ve got a train to Madrid in 4 hours so I best get some sleep!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

So saddened for you.

I guess that any Elvis is better than no Elvis.

And I have no doubt that he’ll make up for it tonight.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Tomorrow even :lol: :lol: :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

I got 7 out of 9 right. That’s good for me. 😉
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Offshoreram wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:31 am
I got 7 out of 9 right. That’s good for me. 😉
Particularly as you must have still been grieving for your loss...
Have an epic Madrid, which will of course start with "Accidents..."
Nostradamus
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.elfaromotril.es/2023/09/06/ ... caixabank/

Elvis Costello contra la tormenta en el primer concierto de 1001 Músicas – CaixaBank

El artista londinense, acompañado de Steve Nieve, ofreció lo mejor de su talento en el Generalife, pese a que la lluvia impidió presenciar el espectáculo al completo

Prometió Elvis Costello el día de su cumpleaños en una comparecencia ante representantes de medios de comunicación de todo el mundo, que habría un repertorio especial en Granada, influido por la oportunidad de actuar en un lugar como la Alhambra. Y añadió que sería la primera vez en su gira europea que tendría la oportunidad de tocar el programa completo. Las circunstancias hicieron que este sábado en el Teatro del Generalife, sin duda, el repertorio y la forma de ejecutarlo fuera muy diferente, aunque no pudo cumplir su deseo de ofrecer el espectáculo al completo por culpa de la lluvia. Pero, pese a las inclemencias meteorológicas, el cantante londinense, acompañado por su magnífico y habitual pianista Steve Nieve, dio lo mejor de sí mismo para sobreponerse a las adversas circunstancias meteorológicas, consiguiendo que el público le mostrara su fidelidad y le apoyara hasta que la tormenta fuera a más e hiciera imposible continuar el concierto.

La presencia de Elvis Costello y Steve Nieve era el primer envite de la tercera edición del ciclo 1001 – Músicas CaixaBank, que durante todo el mes de septiembre verá sobre sus tablas a artistas de la talla de Ara Malikian, Luz Casal, Andrés Calamaro, 091, Pablo López, Suede o Raphael gracias al apoyo de CaixaBank y el patrocinio de la Consejería de Turismo, Cultura y Deporte de la Junta de Andalucía, cofinanciado con Fondos Europeos; el Ayuntamiento de Granada, Sabor Granada-Diputación Provincial de Granada, Ticketmaster, Aseguradora Araytor, Cervezas Alhambra, Royal Bliss, Bodegas Muñana, Moët & Chandon, Mercedes – Benz Granada Premium, Ideal, Mondo Sonoro, Radio 3, Canal Sur y doctortrece.

A sus 69 años recién cumplidos, Costello muestra una madurez musical envidiable y una seguridad en sí mismo casi arrogante, a lo que ayuda también la confianza que le aporta tener tantos años junto a él a Steve Nieve, con quien se sube solo al escenario en este tour europeo, dejando en esta ocasión en casa a su banda The Imposters, con la que ha realizado este verano su gira por Estados Unidos.

Reversionar grandes temas liberado del yugo que suponen los arreglos para una banda produce nuevas emociones y ahí Castello lo borda junto a Steve Nieve. En esta gira en Europa pretende más intimismo, agradecido de la libertad creativa que le ofrece esa soledad en el escenario. Así, se presentó en Granada con una nueva fórmula para quien ha sido capaz de innovar en estilos tan diferentes como rock, punk, new wave, pop e, incluso, melódicos. Su talento para fusionar sonidos le ayuda en experiencias como la de anoche en el Generalife.

Inició su actuación con una gran interpretación de When I was cruel No.2 que ya dejaba entrever una noche especial. Pero lo que no se esperaba el músico londinense es que esta nueva propuesta tuviera que modificarla aún más y que, tras varias interpretaciones, la lluvia apareciera con fuerza hasta el punto de tener que apagar equipos y luces. Pero Castello mostró su grandeza, con un solo foco y paraguas en mano, mantuvo lo que pudo el recital con su profunda voz y la destreza al teclado de Nieve, logrando la empatía del público por su esfuerzo.

Aunque decidido a darlo todo y superar las adversidades, Costello no pudo ofrecer su espectáculo completo, y bien que lo lamentó, porque la lluvia lo impidió, pero el tiempo que estuvo sobre las tablas del Teatro del Generalife dejó constancia de que se trata de una figura mundial de la música. Con gran profesionalidad y empatía con los presentes, demostró su talla y trató de aliviar la frustración generada por el mal tiempo.

————————————-
Google translation

Elvis Costello against the storm in the first concert of 1001 Músicas – CaixaBank

The London artist, accompanied by Steve Nieve, offered the best of his talent at the Generalife, despite the fact that the rain prevented the entire show from being seen

Elvis Costello promised on his birthday in an appearance before representatives of the world's media that there would be a special repertoire in Granada, influenced by the opportunity to perform in a place like the Alhambra. And he added that it would be the first time on his European tour that he would get the chance to play the entire show. Circumstances meant that this Saturday at the Teatro del Generalife, without a doubt, the repertoire and the way of performing it were very different, although he was unable to fulfill his desire to offer the entire show due to the rain. But, despite the inclement weather, the London singer, accompanied by his magnificent and habitual pianist Steve Nieve, gave his best to overcome the adverse weather circumstances, getting the public to show his fidelity and support him until the storm was over and made it impossible to continue the concert.

The presence of Elvis Costello and Steve Nieve was the first event of the third edition of the 1001 – Músicas CaixaBank cycle, which throughout the month of September will see artists of the stature of Ara Malikian, Luz Casal, Andrés Calamaro, 091 on its stage , Pablo López, Suede or Raphael thanks to the support of CaixaBank and the sponsorship of the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sports of the Junta de Andalucía, co-financed with European Funds; Granada City Council, Sabor Granada-Granada Provincial Council, Ticketmaster, Araytor Insurance Company, Alhambra Beers, Royal Bliss, Bodegas Muñana, Moët & Chandon, Mercedes-Benz Granada Premium, Ideal, Mondo Sonoro, Radio 3, Canal Sur and doctortrece.

At just 69 years of age, Costello shows an enviable musical maturity and an almost arrogant self-confidence, which is also helped by the confidence that having spent so many years with Steve Nieve brings him, with whom he goes on stage alone in this European tour, this time leaving his band The Imposters at home, with whom he toured the United States this summer.

Reversing great songs freed from the yoke that arrangements entail for a band produces new emotions and that is where Castello nailed it together with Steve Nieve. On this tour in Europe he seeks more intimacy, grateful for the creative freedom that solitude offers him on stage. Thus, he appeared in Granada with a new formula for whom he has been able to innovate in styles as different as rock, punk, new wave, pop and even melodic. His talent for fusing sounds helps him in experiences like last night at the Generalife.

He started his performance with a great interpretation of When I was cruel No.2 that already hinted at a special night. But what the London musician did not expect is that this new proposal would have to modify it even more and that, after several performances, the rain would appear with force to the point of having to turn off equipment and lights. But Castello showed his greatness, with a single spotlight and umbrella in hand, he kept the recital as long as he could with his deep voice and Nieve's keyboard skills, achieving public empathy for his effort.

Although determined to give his all and overcome adversity, Costello was unable to offer his complete show, and he regretted it, because the rain prevented it, but the time he was on the stage of the Teatro del Generalife made it clear that it is a world music figure. With great professionalism and empathy with those present, he demonstrated his stature and tried to alleviate the frustration generated by the bad weather.
taramasalata

Post by taramasalata »

Actually I would have liked to post right away, after last Saturday night's sudden end of the only 37 minutes-show.

But besides being in a state of confusion and somehow shock (while most of the crowd seemed to just slowly walk away and apparently surrender to that bit of a drizzle that they called RAIN in Andalusia...), it was also due to practical/technical/leisure reasons, while being traveling in Granada and back to Malaga, in not doing so.

And meanwhile, we did not only get some more elaborate informations about the ill-fated event at the Alhambra and are delighted that in Madrid and Barcelona, they all had more luck and Elvis did fulfill what in Granada already had the potential to become a really great concert, but to my great surprise, the Caixa bank, being the promoter, announced today that they are going to REFUND the whole entrance fee to the ticket holders.

They also did clarify that it was less the rather scarce rainfall but a so-called "electrical storm", that they had being reported coming from the airport approaching in the direction towards the stage.
So, as hard and hardly understandable it appeared in accepting it in the very moment, it's okay for me now with the information we now have received some days later. And the knowledge that it seemed to have been a reasonable decision for not risking people's health.

What is and definitely will last as a loving memory is seeing Elvis & Steve fighting the odds with tenacity and ambition:
Steve seemingly completely untouched and, after having to break up after the introducing piano chords of Shot with his own gun, just going on with the chords of Accidents will happen , a title that seemed to be unwillingly appropriate to what DID happen, with Elvis joining him by singing along to it off-mic against the rain and the people getting up and seeking for some shelter from the water from above.
While thus stressing his valuable-vulnerable vocal chords quite early on, they apparently gained even more strength out of this confrontation with the elements.
Being only lit by one bleak stage light, having just one microphone to sing in it and Steve's grand piano, they dashed out wonderfully strong renditions of (quite unexpected) Deep Dark Truthful Mirror, Everyday I write the book, Waiting for the end of the world and an (even more unexpected) marvelous Tart, with then Almost blue unfortunately becoming the last song, while some technicians were whistling in Elvis' ear, forcing them into this announced to be a "10 minutes break", even then seemingly unthinkable to be this being the end of all of it.

Elvis waving around with that black umbrella in a somehow - though slightly less elegant - Mary Poppins-like way while singing and and playing along with the ever-playful Steve Nieve, they definitely did not seem wanting to give in what shoud (and could) have been a magic night in a magic location.

I have some snippets of some songs (in lousy iPhone-quality) that I hope to find some time to upload in the not too far future.

All joy and delight to the ones being able to attend the two guys on their European tour.
Looking forward to meet them again in Lucerne, Switzerland, on October 3th.
Man out of Time

Review by Santi Hurtado published online on September 6, 2023 at Alta Fidelidad

"Crónica - Elvis Costello & Steve Nieve (Granada, 02/09/23)

“Me dijeron que podía venir a Granada en cualquier época del año porque es un sitio donde nunca llueve”. Decía con sorna Elvis Costello bajo el paraguas. Es bien verdad que, ya es mala suerte, que de todos los días del año, le tuviera que tocar a él casi de pleno el paso de la dana por el Teatro del Generalife. Lo que hace de Costello un auténtico artista es su enorme versatilidad. Proviene del jazz y de las big bands gracias a su padre, de quien también habló durante su actuación. Y aunque como nosotros le conocimos fue a través de estar en la vanguardia de la New Wave, integró en su repertorio el country, el soul, el rockabilly e incluso la música clásica. Por eso está acostumbrado a moverse en aguas movedizas, si surge la ocasión, y puede emplear una banda de rock entera, una orquesta o apañarse con un piano y una guitarra acústica si se da la circunstancia. Todo esto hasta cierto punto, claro.

Otro aspecto por el que un concierto de Elvis Costello siempre llama la atención es la imprevisibilidad- si que es verdad que es una virtud que no a todo espectador puede apetecer- por lo que en sus actuaciones puedes escuchar un poco de todo, desde sus canciones clásicas a algunas que rara vez toca o que no toca en absoluto. De hecho en las primeras diez noches de la gira en Nueva York prometió no repetir ningún setlist, todo un récord para cualquier artista. Steve Nieve, miembro de The Attractions y después en The Imposters, tocó el piano, órgano y otros instrumentos de teclado en la mayoría de los proyectos de Costello durante los años 80s. Incluso durante toda la etapa de Costello en solitario, las colaboraciones Costello/Nieve nunca cesaron, ambos músicos realizaron giras como dúo y Nieve ha contribuido con teclados en todos los álbumes de Costello desde mediados de la década de 1990, incluida la célebre colaboración con Burt Bacharach de 1998, Painted From Memory. De hecho, la gira como dúo de Costello y Nieve llega veinticuatro años después de que ambos emprendiesen, en 1999, su última gira en solitario hasta la fecha, Lonely World Tour, tras el lanzamiento de aquel álbum.

El concierto del Generalife, apertura del ciclo 1001 músicas– comenzó bien y más o menos en hora – alguna gente parece que está esperando a que se enciendan las luces del escenario para sentarse- y con una canción bien escogida como apertura, una de sus últimas grandes composiciones: When I was cruel 2 del álbum del mismo título de 2003, el primero que presentó a su nueva banda, The Imposters, y que mejor ejemplifica que un concierto de Costello puede incluír todo tipo de estilos imprevisibles y emplear todo tipo de samples (en este caso Un bacio è troppo poco de Mina) si resulta oportuno.

Sin embargo la lluvia comenzó a hacer acto de presencia y Costello y Steve Nieve tuvieron que ponerse a cubierto bajo una lona dispuesta especialmente para la ocasión. A partir de ahí el dúo comentó que, debido a las circunstancias, deberían cambiar momentáneamente el setlist para hacer canciones sólo con piano y guitarra. El primer gran viaje al pasado siguió con Talking Horses, un descarte de Armed Forces que se lanzó originalmente en 1978 como acompañamiento de un sencillo promocional. Siguió Shot With His Own Gun de su álbum Trust de 1981 tras el cual tuvo que hacerse un receso de diez minutos para acomodar el escenario a las nuevas circunstancias metereológicas, mientras parte del público se refugiaba en laterales. Costello y Nieve regresaron con Accidents Will Happen, también del álbum Armed Forces, aunque esta vez solo al piano, una canción influída por Anyone who had a heart de su admirado Burt Bacharach. Deep Dark Truthful Mirror, otra de las rarezas de las que Costello le gusta sacar de vez en cuando, de la época de Spike de 1989 , dio paso a Everyday I wrote a book con Stevie Nieve al piano y con Costello paraguas en mano como si de un musical se tratase, un breve momento que animó a la audiencia en una noche que resultó menos tormentosa de lo que un principio aparentaba. Fue una canción probablemente escogida oportunamente para dulcificar el momento, una de las más conocidas de Costello – el álbum Punch the Clock, favorito del año para NME por encima incluso de Thriller, cumplía el mes pasado 40 años – que todavía no había interpretado en la gira europea iniciada a finales de agosto en Italia. Con la tormenta prácticamente encima, también estrenó oportunamente la apocalíptica Waiting for the end of the Word que cerraba su album debut My Aim Is True.

Ya lo había comentado en alguna entrevista anterior al concierto, y es que a Costello le hubiera gustado hacer un setlist especial para su actuación del Generalife. Comentó cómo no sabía nada de español, todo lo contrario que su padre, y que había compuesto Tart – otra vez de regreso al excelente álbum When I was cruel– en Andalucía, concretamente en Sevilla, hacía 21 años y en la que narra la historia adúltera de su padre. Y no dio tiempo para mucho más. Le siguió Almost Blue, de sus sexto álbum Imperial Bedroom y tras ella, una pausa de diez minutos por aviso de tormenta. Una interrupción que no tardó en convertirse en cancelación, con una interlocución grabada por ambos músicos disculpándose por no poder continuar la actuación. El público abandonó resignado el Teatro, si bien con quejas para la organización sobre cómo no se había cambiado a un escenario cerrado si se podía haber previsto con tiempo la situación metereológica. En todo caso, la mala fortuna tal vez puede servir para previsiones de próximas convocatorias. Elvis Costello, por su parte, continuó su gira española que cerró el 5 de septiembre en el Palau de la Música Catalana de Barcelona. Esperemos verle de nuevo en la siguiente gira: un concierto suyo seguro que nunca dejará de sorprendernos."

and in "English" via Google Translate:

"Chronicle - Elvis Costello & Steve Nieve (Granada, 09/02/23)

“They told me that I could come to Granada at any time of the year because it is a place where it never rains.” Elvis Costello said sarcastically under the umbrella. It is quite true that, it is already bad luck, that of all the days of the year, it was almost his turn to pass the dana through the Generalife Theatre. What makes Costello a true artist is his enormous versatility. He comes from jazz and big bands thanks to his father, who he also talked about during his performance. And although how we knew him was through being at the forefront of the New Wave, he integrated country, soul, rockabilly and even classical music into his repertoire. That's why he is used to moving in shifting waters, if the occasion arises, and he can employ an entire rock band, an orchestra or make do with a piano and an acoustic guitar if the circumstance arises. All this to a certain point, of course.

Another aspect for which an Elvis Costello concert always attracts attention is the unpredictability - it is true that it is a virtue that not every spectator may want - so in his performances you can hear a little of everything, from his songs classics to some he rarely plays or doesn't play at all. In fact, in the first ten nights of the tour in New York he promised not to repeat any setlist, a record for any artist. Steve Nieve, a member of The Attractions and later The Imposters, played piano, organ and other keyboard instruments on most of Costello's projects during the 1980s. Even throughout Costello's solo run, Costello/Nieve collaborations never ceased, both musicians toured as a duo and Nieve has contributed keyboards to every Costello album since the mid-1990s, including the celebrated collaboration with Burt Bacharach from 1998, Painted From Memory. In fact, Costello and Nieve's duo tour comes twenty-four years after they both undertook, in 1999, their last solo tour to date, the Lonely World Tour, after the release of that album.

The Generalife concert, opening of the 1001 music cycle - started well and more or less on time - some people seem to be waiting for the stage lights to turn on to sit down - and with a well-chosen song as the opening, one of their last great compositions: When I was cruel 2 from the album of the same title from 2003, the first that introduced his new band, The Imposters, and which best exemplifies that a Costello concert can include all kinds of unpredictable styles and use all kinds of samples (in this case Un bacio è troppo poco de Mina) if appropriate.

However, the rain began to appear and Costello and Steve Nieve had to take cover under a tarp prepared especially for the occasion. From there the duo commented that, due to the circumstances, they should momentarily change the setlist to make songs only with piano and guitar. The first major trip down memory lane followed with Talking Horses, an Armed Forces outtake that was originally released in 1978 as an accompaniment to a promotional single. Shot With His Own Gun from his 1981 album Trust followed, after which a ten-minute break had to be taken to adapt the stage to the new weather circumstances, while part of the audience took refuge on the sides. Costello and Nieve returned with Accidents Will Happen, also from the album Armed Forces, although this time alone on the piano, a song influenced by Anyone Who Had a Heart by their admired Burt Bacharach. Deep Dark Truthful Mirror, another of the rarities that Costello likes to release from time to time, from the time of Spike in 1989, gave way to Everyday I wrote a book with Stevie Nieve on piano and with Costello umbrella in hand as if it were a musical, a brief moment that encouraged the audience on a night that turned out to be less stormy than it initially seemed. It was a song probably chosen opportunely to sweeten the moment, one of Costello's best known – the album Punch the Clock, NME's favorite of the year even above Thriller, He turned 40 last month – which he had not yet performed on the European tour that began at the end of August in Italy. With the storm practically upon us, he also timely released the apocalyptic Waiting for the end of the Word that closed his debut album My Aim Is True.

He had already mentioned it in an interview prior to the concert, and that Costello would have liked to make a special setlist for his Generalife performance. He commented how he did not know any Spanish, the complete opposite of his father, and that he had composed Tart – again back to the excellent album When I Was Cruel– in Andalusia, specifically in Seville, 21 years ago. and in which he tells the adulterous story of his father. And he didn't have time for much more. Almost Blue followed, from their sixth album Imperial Bedroom and after it, a ten-minute break due to a storm warning. An interruption that soon became a cancellation, with a recorded conversation between both musicians apologizing for not being able to continue the performance. The audience left the Theater resigned, although with complaints to the organization about how it had not changed to a closed stage if the weather situation could have been foreseen in advance. In any case, bad fortune may perhaps serve to predict future calls. Elvis Costello, for his part, continued his Spanish tour that closed on September 5 at the Palau de la Música Catalana in Barcelona. We hope to see him again on the next tour: a concert of his will surely never cease to surprise us."

Santi knows his stuff alright.

MOOT