It aint trendy....it's Abba!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jackson Monk

It aint trendy....it's Abba!!

Post by Jackson Monk »

I crashed my car into a telegraph pole the other day. As a consequence, I had to take the family away for the planned weekend in a very small courtesy car. No CD player - just cassettes.

I haven't bought, or recorded on tape for some time, so I rummaged (great word that) through an old tape box and found Abba Gold. Great one for the girls I thought. They take to melody very quickly (big Olivers Army fans!).

Anyway, I bunged it in the tape player halfway down the M5 motorway and within 30 minutes, i realised what great singles they made and how prolific they were. Ok, so there was the occasional sickly mistake (I have a Dream, Does Your Mother Know etc) but most of the rest were great - esp the break-up songs. Here is my Abba top 5:

1. Knowing Me, Knowing You
2. SOS
3. One of Us
4. Mamma Mia
5. The Day before you came

Honorary mentions to loads of others.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

head injuries are hell, aren't they? :lol:
Like me, the "g" is silent.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Sorry about the car crash man. I've been hit twice this year - neither time was my fault. But I've always loved ABBA. Good on you. They're really pretty great, although I know there are those that would argue.

Glad you're alive and well :) but sorry you were having to listen to a cassette player. :?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

When RedShoes and I were in Ireland the car we rented didn't have a CD player, and we had no tapes. Eventually we found a store with a decent tape collection and we picked up Paul McCartney's Run Devil Run and Lou Reed's Transformer. By the end of our trip, we probably listened to each of the albums about 15-20 times. :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Elfslut

Post by Elfslut »

There are some really lovely ABBA tunes...Benny and Bjorn are very underrated as far as songwriters are concerned.

My favs

Winner Takes It All
Fernando
Me and I
SuperTrooper
Take a Chance on Me..
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Elfslut - Have you ever been in a car crash?
signed with love and vicious kisses
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

BlueChair wrote:When RedShoes and I were in Ireland the car we rented didn't have a CD player, and we had no tapes. Eventually we found a store with a decent tape collection and we picked up Paul McCartney's Run Devil Run and Lou Reed's Transformer. By the end of our trip, we probably listened to each of the albums about 15-20 times. :D
Yes, and now Lou Reed will always remind me of Ireland. And now Abba will always remind you of your weekend trip, Jackson :)
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

For the record (!), Abba Gold is one of Elvis's essential 500 albums :P :P
Elfslut

Post by Elfslut »

Yes it is...I one of their albums might have made his 24 hours of music too...

That was such a great article...

I had to write my own afterwards
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

So that's it then? EC likes Abba so they must be cool.
signed with love and vicious kisses
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Well, he did quote ABBA on WIWC. :)
Elfslut

Post by Elfslut »

I've liked Abba since Erasure did the covers EP in the early 90's

Whether or not EC thinks there cool..makes no never mind to me..

Loved the musical Mamma Mia too..and Chess..which was written by Benny, Bjorn and Tim Rice...

I happen to think they wrote some very nice pop songs..
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I love Oliver's Army, but I still don't like ABBA. For those that do, dance on, Dancing Queens.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

so lacklustre wrote:So that's it then? EC likes Abba so they must be cool.
No, not really my point Mr Goon, although I appreciate that it may have appeared to be. The point was that they have been appreciated by many others who have not suffered head injuries!! :lol:

Personally, I think that the songs would have benefitted from rougher, more stripped down production without all that sugar - Elvis (a la Specials/Squeeze) would have been the man for the job.

For the record Noise, I hate Dancing Queen and I can't dance. :x
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Forgot to add my new signature... :lol: :lol:
corruptio optimi pessima
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

I've loved Abba since playing my brother's vinyl copy of ARRIVAL for the first time. Must have been about 7 or 8. You see, this will always be remembered because he was and still is ridiculously protective over his music collection so it was a momentous occasion when I sneaked it out of his bedroom without him knowing.

For every Dum Dum Diddle there are numerous Take A Chance On Me's. I can't believe anyone not liking them.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Jackson Monk wrote: ... I hate Dancing Queen and I can't dance. :x
A fond memory:

Saturday morning kids TV show, many moons ago (presented by Sandy Toksvig, if I remember rightly).
Jimmy Somerville singing 'I am the Dancing Queen'.

Priceless.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Jackson Monk-I hope you are alright. So sorry about the telephone pole. Sans head injury I have a long standing affection for ABBA.

Two ABBA memories within the last week:

Singing 'Knowing Me, Knowing You' to a man as we gazed at the moonlit sea. He turned and looked deeply into my eyes and said, "I don't like this song."

After a very strong Irish coffee singing 'Dancing Queen' in the parking lot of the restaurant.
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

Lapins: I am in very fine health thanks. Sadly the very staid 'children carrier' was not so lucky and is still awaiting repair. Even more tragically, my own more sporty vehicle is without a clutch and the best quote is £300 :evil: :evil: :x :x

Should dig out my bike!
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Jackson Doofster wrote:Lapins: I am in very fine health thanks.
Glad to hear it JD - what happened - did the telegraph pole jump out on you?
Jackson Doofster wrote: Sadly the very staid 'children carrier' was not so lucky and is still awaiting repair...Should dig out my bike!
It might be a bit difficult to balance the children whilst riding. And what about poor Mrs JD - what's she gonna do? :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

do you have to pay for the telephone pole? A friend had a wreck in a national park and he had to pay for damage to the rocks he hit. when I can't sleep, I think about how they came up with a figure to charge him.
Like me, the "g" is silent.