Birmingham concert review by an idiot

Pretty self-explanatory
laughingcrow

Birmingham concert review by an idiot

Post by laughingcrow »

Oh my God..I got home tonight (slightly inebriated yes) and listening to the radio whilst on here, have just heard some pig-ignorant brummy talking about how s**t EC was...

I quote..''he did 3 hours and he didn't even do Oliver's Army''....''next time I see him on telly, I''ll flick him off, he hasn't even got an original name for God's sake''...''when I get home I'm gonna trash my record collection of his stuff''....''I went to see Deep Purple and they played all their new stuff, I hate it when people play their new stuff''...

I feel really pissed off now.

Great. :evil: Just what I needed..not.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Good art is always criticised by idiots. Don't let some dimwit's opinion about music phase you. We know Elvis rules, that's all that matters.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

Well, Mrs Doofster and I were there and so was Otis and his friend, Annie. The man was on fine form and in a very good mood. 3 full HOURS!!!! Reviews and set lists to follow!
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Hey Doof, sorry, I didn't keep to my word with the setlist! Got home at 2.30, too wrecked to do anything but crash. For some reason both the service station we stopped to get a bite (but not a drink :x ) in, and the one we later got petrol in, were completely hopeless: a panini toaster and tills in both places weren't working properly, so we spent at least 15 minutes just waiting for machines to be sorted out and money to be taken.

There were lots of totally annoying wankers in Birmingham who didn't deserve their tickets. This arse is obviously a prime example.

It was utterly fantastic. Superb setlist (separate thread to follow very soon, and endless comments).

And of course the enormous extra bonus of meeting up with Mr Le Doof for a second time, and being introduced to his wife Debs/Debbie/Deborah, whose usually attached adjective 'lovely' from her adoring husband is entirely appropriate. Spare a thought for the back of his car, folks, he reversed into a pole and was suffering from the trauma.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

LC, are you sure that wasn't an imaginary conversation you thought up whilst in the midst of a drunken stupor?
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I'd forgotten I'd posted this.... :oops: , I was pretty pissed (in both senses of the word :lol: )...PoP, it was on TalkSport, a station I always listen to for footy, but last night that idiot just caught me in the wrong mood.

Ah well, good to know the flame still burns within.
Kristin from Boston

"Official" Set List from Birmingham

Post by Kristin from Boston »

Hello everyone!

I'm a newbie to the list, but a long-time Elvis fan. I'm from Boston, but I saw the Birmingham show -- Elvis simply didn't play in the States enough to satisfy my live music requirement this year! :D

Given the length of my journey, I felt compelled to get the official set list to commemorate the event...

The "official" set list reads as follows:

Alibi
Greenshirt
Brilliant Mistake/All The Rage
Long Honeymoon
Shot With His Own Gun
This House Is Empty Now

You Left Me Standing In The Dark
Someone Took The Words Away
When Did I Stop Dreaming?
Home Truth
No Wonder/Toledo
You Turned To Me
Fallen

God's Comic
Spooky Girlfriend
Either Side Of The Same Town
Man Out Of Time
In The Darkest Place
Shipbuilding
Peace Love And Understanding
-----------------------------
When It Sings
Still
Can You Be True?
Poor Napoleon
Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
-----------------------------
When Green Eyes Turn Blue
Inch By Inch/Watching The Detectives/Almost Blue
Let Me Tell You About Her/I'm In The Mood Again
That Other Girl/Birds/Unexpected

That said, Otis' version was far more accurate.

As for my take on the show -- it was insanely good! I'm not sure what show the doubting critic was watching, but my show ended with Elvis completely losing himself in the moment and playing "Twist and Shout." What the hell could be better than that? (Except, maybe, hearing "Suit of Lights" live for the first time, as I did that night). I came from Boston, and I felt like I got a bargain -- especially given the marathon encore set.

I got a chance to talk with the man himself after the show. He was very friendly, and was wondering aloud where on earth Twist and Shout came from.

BTW, Is it me, or are the songs from North much more striking live?

Kristin
"My Favorite Things" are playing again and again
But it's by Julie Andrews and not by John Coltrane...
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Hey Kristen,

Welcome. You are now a part of this motely crew.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

damn that sounds like a great show!!!!!!!!....
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Welcome Kristen. Yes the North tracks were much more striking live. I'm still quite cool on the album but thought that the live versions were superb.
signed with love and vicious kisses
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Hi Kristen and welcome.

I agree totally with SLL but I am warming more and more to North. It must be all the leaves on the ground. It's definitely an autumnal album.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?