What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
sabreman

Post by sabreman »

I saw these guys the other night and they were damn good. If they are touring in your area I would suggest checking them out.

http://www.toubabkrewe.com/

http://cdbaby.com/cd/toubabkrewe

Also digging Mario Lanza. Great Great singer!

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/mus ... t+Hits.htm
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

Bring the Family. Boy was John Hiatt on top of his game then.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

oily slick wrote:Bring the Family. Boy was John Hiatt on top of his game then.
Have you heard Master of Disaster yet? I also really, really like his Austin City Limits disc. Absolutely stunning version of "Straight Outta Time" on that one.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

must..(help)..buy....all.........El Vez's.........reccomendations..(me).....
Like me, the "g" is silent.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

The Specials AKA
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

El Vez wrote:
Have you heard Master of Disaster yet? I also really, really like his Austin City Limits disc. Absolutely stunning version of "Straight Outta Time" on that one.
i do not have the austin city limits thing yet, but i must get it. i know davey f is on it too. i do have master of disaster and love a chunk of it--howlin' down the cumberland, wintertime blues, most of it. especially master of disaster. cold river frightens me. i do think this record ends weakly with the last 2 cuts, like he ran out of good stuff, and that thunderbird is his "my dog and me" off of beneath this gruff exterior. what is most notable is the deterioration of the quality of his voice. steve forbert is the same. i wonder if they are smokers. i like the weathered sound, being a bigger fan of 70's sinatra than 50's, but hiatt vocally does amazing things on bring the family he simply could not do anymore.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

mood swung wrote:must..(help)..buy....all.........El Vez's.........reccomendations..(me).....
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Now everybody, you must buy:

:lol:
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

miss buenos aires wrote:The Specials AKA
This is unchecked, but I seem to remember clinching a pub pop quiz over a bunch of murderous in-bred Fenland weirdos with the fact that they were The Special (no 's') AKA only for Gangsters, and thereafter The Specials only. Or did they revert to AKA later. Either way, great band! In the spirit of the Buzzcocks, they make me feel Sixteen Again.

Sabreman: so what do Toubab Krewe play?

(NB Some evenings even a few seconds link-clicking and Google exploration seems too much like hard work... )

Mario Lanza makes me think of Heavenly Creatures and the teen murderesses' addiction to 'Maaario'.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Otis Westinghouse

miss buenos aires wrote:The Specials AKA
This is unchecked, but I seem to remember clinching a pub pop quiz over a bunch of murderous in-bred Fenland weirdos with the fact that they were The Special (no 's') AKA only for Gangsters, and thereafter The Specials only. Or did they revert to AKA later. Either way, great band! In the spirit of the Buzzcocks, they make me feel Sixteen Again.

Sabreman: so what do Toubab Krewe play?

(NB Some evenings even a few seconds link-clicking and Google exploration seems too much like hard work... )

Mario Lanza makes me think of Heavenly Creatures and the teen murderesses' addiction to 'Maaario'.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I thought Special AKA was just for the one record that had Free Nelson Mandella on it... ? But I'm perpetually mixed up about this stuff. I'll never figure out the business of Joy Division and New Order BOTH having records called Substance.
Otis Westinghouse

Now I have more energy!

http://2-tone.info/uk_disco.html

The 'artists' link tells you more about the reversion to The Special AKA for legal reasons after the initial band split.

Indeed, they were still AKA at the time of FNM.
miss buenos aires

Well, whatever song I was listening to was listed as "The Specials AKA" and I was scared that if I just wrote "The Specials" some nitpicker on the board would have been on me about that. I guess I was wrong to worry...
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

oily slick wrote:
El Vez wrote:
i do not have the austin city limits thing yet, but i must get it. i know davey f is on it too. i do have master of disaster and love a chunk of it--howlin' down the cumberland, wintertime blues, most of it. especially master of disaster. cold river frightens me. i do think this record ends weakly with the last 2 cuts, like he ran out of good stuff, and that thunderbird is his "my dog and me" off of beneath this gruff exterior. what is most notable is the deterioration of the quality of his voice. steve forbert is the same. i wonder if they are smokers. i like the weathered sound, being a bigger fan of 70's sinatra than 50's, but hiatt vocally does amazing things on bring the family he simply could not do anymore.
Hey, I liked "Back On The Corner" :lol: And I *loved* "Thunderbird" regardless of any double dipping that may have taken place. It's interesting because I have almost the exact opposite take on both Hiatt and Forbert's present day voices. I love the way they sing (or rasp soulfully) now moreso than when I listen to their voices from earlier records. I see your point with what Hiatt could do on "Tip of My Tongue" (my goodness is that a great song) but I love it when those dudes blow out their voices because, for me, they start making more interesting choices with their phrasing.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Well, whatever song I was listening to was listed as "The Specials AKA" and I was scared that if I just wrote "The Specials" some nitpicker on the board would have been on me about that. I guess I was wrong to worry...
Its the "The Special AKA" not "The Specials AKA".
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

El Vez wrote:
oily slick wrote:
El Vez wrote: Have you heard Master of Disaster yet? I also really, really like his Austin City Limits disc. Absolutely stunning version of "Straight Outta Time" on that one.
Hey, I liked "Back On The Corner" :lol: And I *loved* "Thunderbird" regardless of any double dipping that may have taken place. It's interesting because I have almost the exact opposite take on both Hiatt and Forbert's present day voices. I love the way they sing (or rasp soulfully) now moreso than when I listen to their voices from earlier records. I see your point with what Hiatt could do on "Tip of My Tongue" (my goodness is that a great song) but I love it when those dudes blow out their voices because, for me, they start making more interesting choices with their phrasing.
slow down there shotgun, i love the texture of their voices now. and the phrasing does just get better. the groans and perfect choices in the song master of disaster are as good as it gets. it sounds like he just got out of bed, has a cold, still drinks, doesn't care, and it is smashing. thank heavens they left it that way or did it on purpose. if you play master of disaster right behind bring the family or stolen moments it is...a might disarming. it is all good. steve forbert has an old soul and has always been and still is perfect. i'll leave the growing intonation problems out of it cause you're a merle haggard fan :) .

and it is nice of you to let old guys get nostalgic and sing about their cars and rick danko, but they should at least leave their damn dogs out of it. and then there is van morrison "in the days before rock n roll" and he was still in his 40's. oy.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

I only own four Steely Dan releases and, in my opinion, I'm listening to the best one: Countdown To Ecstasy
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

That's a good one. I like Katie Lied best.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

echos myron like a siren
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

*Psst* Robbie Fulks.....pass it on down! 8)
miss buenos aires

Mike Boom wrote:
Its the "The Special AKA" not "The Specials AKA".
(stabs self in neck)
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Really like these guys. Reminds me a bit of Nick Cave, shades of Radiohead in places. Good stuff from Norway.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Now...

Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Prince live in Nagoya Japan in 1989 on the LOVESEXY tour thanks to Dime - fantastically funky and excellent sound quality this show is just amazing, he does tend to skip thru a lot of the ballads in medley form playing just a snatch of each but the version of my favourite Prince song "The Cross" more than makes up for that. Brilliant version of "Purple Rain" with that huge raucous guitar solo even moreso if thats possible and a good sprinkling of songs from the unreleased "Black Album".Makes you wish you were there - I had front row tickets to see him on the Sign Of The Times tour in London but he cancelled, damn his funky little soul!

"...and if the elevator brings you down,
go crazy, punch a higher floor."
echos myron like a siren