What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

My son is 13 today. Nice having a kid who wants CDs for his birthday that you're keen to hear but wouldn't otherwise have bought. It's good to listen to, the kind of thing you're happy to have on a bit. Unsurprisingly nothing comes close to the wonderful Feel Good Inc, but the range of styles and cameos is good. He also got the new Strokes CD, which sounds quite good. Love Last Night to death, not too interested in them beyond that, but there are some good songs on this LP.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

bambooneedle wrote:The King Hoarse mix collection CD #1

sorry, didn't mean to tease - wanted to post some personal impressions on Hoarse's compilation but got sidetracked about 1/3 of the way through and wanted to do better. I'm well enjoying checking this out though, thanks, Hoarse. I'll post thoughts soon on the Cd Circle thread <they all wait with baited breath>.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

"Deborah broke my heart
and I the willing fool
I fell for her one summer
on the road to Liverpool
I thought it was forever
but it was over within the year
I send her my love
and a bang on the ear"

:D
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

I havn't listened to this since the year it was released simply because I forgot I had it. I discovered it when looking through things to put on the CD-Circle-CD. It's a great album that I'm enjoying even more now than when I first got it. Havn't heard any of their other albums though.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Swordfishtrombones
Otis Westinghouse

Me too! Have had an insatiable thirst for Tom Waits these last two days. Listening to Big Time and Frank's Wild Years, loving Cold, Cold Ground on both and many more besides. Still only have Rain Dogs on tape despite its being, as you may recall, my absolute fave TW, and definitely in my top 10 of everything ever. Went under the bed where the increasingly forlorn and ignored stash from years of cassette collecting resides in the vain hope that RD might be near the top. It wasn't, but Swordfishtrombones was. Had forgotten how fabulous it is. Last heard Underground in the film Robots! Shore Leave - 'I was in baaaaad need of a shave'. Mad bagpipes. It's all there. Bet it sounds good in Buenos Aires. Must get both of these on CD.

Right now I'm listening to Chelsea v Sunderland. Brilliant early goal for Sunderland, one in the eye for WSS and the 'it's boring now all we do is win' brigade. And then bleedin' Cole equalised...
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:it's boring now all we do is win' brigade.
Who is that then? I'm not bored.
Otis Westinghouse

I've heard this several times from chelsea fans, including on radio phone-ins. Actually, I thought you were one of them, but have just wasted 5 mins failing to come up with evidence. May it stay 1-1 or better for Sunderland!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:I've heard this several times from chelsea fans, including on radio phone-ins. Actually, I thought you were one of them, but have just wasted 5 mins failing to come up with evidence.
Things have never been better if you're a Chelsea fan, so they should just shut up and enjoy it for as long as it lasts, because it won't last forever.
Otis Westinghouse

Hope so, another predictable bleedin' win, grrrr. Absurd sending off!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Hope so, another predictable bleedin' win, grrrr. Absurd sending off!
I didn't see the match (one of the PPV games), but I understand that Robben was sent off for celebrating with the Chelsea fans after scoring his goal. If true, that is truly absurd.
guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices »

re: Built to Spill

I absolutely love that album. I was big into Guided By Voices and indie rock at the time, and into the less is more idea. BtS was the first indie guitar hero thing I found, and was blown away by it. He's not a wanker solo player either, at least on that CD, he just layers them as more melodies and counter melodies. Absolutely love Carry The Zero, how it builds.

Their other stuff doesn't do as much for me. Ancient Melodies has a great opener (Strange) and closer (The Weather) but the rest left me cold. the live album was a lot of soloing that lost me, 10 minute songs. The earlier stuff some people swear by, esp Perfect From Now On. and Car is worth ituning for. Avoid Doug Martch's solo album. They were the first concert I saw post 9/11 and they were fantastic, covered What Is Life and Dream Police which was a lot of fun.
we have powerlines in our bloodlines
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Direction Reaction Creation - The Jam.

Fantastic 5 CD box set. And with a 6CD player in the car the world is my lobster.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

it's official - I'm having some kind of mid-life dance crisis.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Otis Westinghouse

Nice choice for a car journey, Verb, Hope you weren't speeding to much!

Arcade Fire bootleg from Las Vegas. Have a video recording of them in Paris off the telly. Brilliant to watch. I must see them!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

followed by

100% chance of rain all day, so I'm going coastal, not postal.
alexv

Post by alexv »

Listening to Sexsmith and Kerr, in particular the beautiful song "Listen". Also listening to Kanye West (at a bat mitzvah this weekend my daughter and her friends converted me). Quoting my 12 year old: Dad, the people who diss all rap, are like the people who dissed the blues or early rock and roll. Philistines". Filly what?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Sexsmith, Kerr and Kanye West all at once. Damn, you're good. :lol:

got off my island and have been listening to napster all day, downloading anything and everything that sounds interesting. Probably today's big winner would be Robbie Fulks' Fountains of Wayne Hotline. big ups!!! to El Vez for bringing it to my attention somehow on this board.
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

El Vez

Post by El Vez »

mood swung wrote:
got off my island and have been listening to napster all day, downloading anything and everything that sounds interesting. Probably today's big winner would be Robbie Fulks' Fountains of Wayne Hotline. big ups!!! to El Vez for bringing it to my attention somehow on this board.
I knew you'd dig that one! I think you would go for Robbie in a big way, Mood. Check out his new one, Georgia Hard, and Couples In Trouble sometime. You won't be disappointed.

I've been listening to Eddie Hinton's Playin' Around: The Songwriting Sessions, Vol 2. Absolutely amazing.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

El Vez wrote:Robbie [Fulks]
I dug that he unashamedly used Racing In The Street and other Darkness to River-era Boss (it's obvious) to make 'Let's Kill Saturday Night'... not least the Roy Bittan effect his band achieves.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

The brilliant Minus 5: Down with Wilco