New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Otis Westinghouse wrote: Can you imagine? bruce Foxton having to play the Bruce Foxton imitation bass-line on Turning Japanese!
Foxton discovered and managed the Vapours.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

And they in turn borrowed his bass sound and style!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Earl Klugh/Bill Frisell/Russel Malone

These three artists put on a great laid-back show. First, all three came out and did a few numbers together. Then, each individual came out and played their own distinctive style of jazz. No drummers, no bassists. Just each man with their guitar. Lastly, all three came out again for a few numbers.

You could easily close your eyes and envision yourself floating away with the music.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Otis Westinghouse

Talking of The Jam, The Word has an article on the likelihood of bands reforming (leading off with The Only Ones, and details of Pete Perrett having to sit down after rehearsing 3 songs as his lungs are so fucked by smoking crack), and sez:

"Drummer and bassist recently spurned the delights of furniture restoration (Rick Buckler) and being a Stiff Little Finger (Bruce F) to 're-form' as From The Jam. Fringe member Paul Weller ignored an invitation to join the party; previous comments suggest a certain reticence. "It will never, ever happen. Me and my children would have to be destitute and starving in the gutter before I'd even consider that." A couple more albums like Studio 150 should do the trick."

Nice one!

Listening to a Feb bootleg of night 2 of Paul Weller's 3 nights in LA confirms that despite all the adoration for his intensity and commitment, lots of it is really boring (you'd be happy missing half of it for toilet trips) but the real shock was Thick As Thieves. Weller has taken one of his brightest jewels and slowed it down to a dull mid-tempo plod. I'd take 50 FTJ versions with Weller soundalike playing it with the proper speed and intensity (cf this) over one of those.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Otis Westinghouse

Rock 'n' roll!

Perhaps they should cover My Sharona but as My Sedona.

Next up in the long list of past greats now at a small venue, the Happy Mondays. £22.50 for the pleasure. I'd siad yes before hearing it was that much! I was never a fan as such, just enjoyed the hits at parties. Apparently Shaun's latest addiction is exercise. He's on a natural high. Mayve he'll outdance Bez. I did find myself thinking today which CDs I could buy if I sold it, but I guess it will be a laugh, and there is someething funny about seeing a band that attained legendary status.
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Saw Built To Spill yesterday. Good show, somewhat spoiled by the fact that someone picked up a setlist lying on the stage and held it up right in front of me! It ruined the joy of being happily surprised by the encore, my favourite song of theirs, Broken Chairs.

Tight band, and Doug Martsch seems like the most awesome guy.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

In the last few days I've seen some hugely varying gigs. On Wednesday I saw John Cooper Clarke in Whelans , Dublin. He was awful. In a hour and half he did about 6 songs/narratives ; the rest of the time he rambled on about stuff, reciting endless Limericks and jokes about Jews ('I'm one so I'm allowed ' he said). The few new songs were witty enough but had little of the bite of his old stuff. Performances of those songs were gabbled even faster than the original takes. He really didn't give a shit. Peculiarly the one print review, in The Irish Times, I've heard of raved about it . I guess I just didn't get it.

On Friday I saw the RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra doing a evening of Beethoven, Schubert and Mahler. Beethoven's Overture Prometheus, Op. 43 and Piano Concerto No. 1 in C major, Op. 15 were done before the interval. Due to a work cock-up I just about got to the National Concert Hall in time so found myself a little wired and unable to , initially, really get into the performance. Peter Tuite on piano was commanding in style and the orchestra followed him well. After a relaxing interval I was more into things . Conductor Gerhard Markson had decided to combine Mahler's Symphony No. 10 in F sharp minor (Adagio) and Schubert's Symphony No. 8 in B minor, D. 759 as one piece, the both of them regarded as 'unfinished' pieces. The sequence was, though, disappointing. As the programme noted Mahler's 'Adagio does explode into a terrifying dissonant chord for the whole orchestra' , something the Schubert piece just did not do. As a result the evening seemed to end weakly. My balcony seat overlooked the orchestra so it was vastly interesting , as always, to see the interplay between the conductor and the players.

Last night I saw Irish trad virtuosos Martin Hayes and Dennis Cahill with Bill Frisell. This meeting of musical genres , at Vicar St, was a occasionally stimulating but overly smooth affair. When all three combined there were some interesting sounds. A highlight was Thelonious Monk's Mysterioso( a highlight of the 'Bill Frisell, Ron Carter, Paul Motian 'album last year), where Bill really got going, chucking in all kinds of delayed sound effects along with his intricate picking. Hayes and Cahill's playing ( guitar/fiddle) was , I'm sure, excellent and supremely crafted but I still can't really get my head around Irish traditional music ; it just all seems so samey after a while. The solemnity and reverence that it is greeted with continues to be annoying. Hence, the solo/duo sequences by the domestic players got a bit tedious after a while. The evening was extended somewhat when , during the interval, a audience member required medical attention and we all had to wait a extra 20 minutes with the house lights on full before she was wheeled of .
Otis Westinghouse

It really does seem that the range and quality of the festivals on offer grows by the year. Latitude, East Anglia's biggest festival, it would seem, has a quite amazing line up this year. Damien Rice, Wilco, Magic Numbers, Good/Bad/Queen, Jarvis, Arcade Fire.

http://www.latitudefestival.co.uk/stages/music.asp

Unfortunately it's really bad timing and I don't think I can get to it, but boy would I love to. Anyone going to any others?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Interesting to read the BWAP/Otis comments about From The Jam. I'm going to see them tomorrow night in the normally sedate Royal Tunbridge Wells and then I'm going to see The Jamm on Sunday (and on Thursday, having been put on the guest list 8) ).

There's a lot of debate about this on the Paul Weller messageboard. I'm reserving judgement until I've actually seen From The Jam.

I wonder if there'll be a tribute band to these two bands called From The Jamm. :?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

Perhaps twice in one week for an ewvening of Jam(m) is a bit excessive.

I defy you to watch From The Jam, imagine that that's Paul up there with the other two, think of any song from his last three solo LPs and not want to cry uncontrollably.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

oily slick took these of James McMurtry on Cinco de Mayo. (I can't believe he didn't take any of me, with my new haircut and all...)
very good show. not for Republicans. good times, good times. That boy (JM, not os) can play.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Perhaps twice in one week for an ewvening of Jam(m) is a bit excessive.

I defy you to watch From The Jam, imagine that that's Paul up there with the other two, think of any song from his last three solo LPs and not want to cry uncontrollably.
The whole concept doesn't sound much different than Creedence Clearwater Revisited, the band that features CCR bassist Stu Cook and drummer Doug "Cosmo" Clifford shamelessly touring and performing the old hits. Am I wrong?

I for one would much sooner see John Fogerty on his own than Creedence Clearwater Revisited, and I would imagine seeing Paul Weller solo is a much more rewarding experience than From The Jam. But maybe I'm being unnecessarily mean.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

Well Verb needs to be the judge of that as he does both, and perhaps I do need to see Weller live to see if it's as tedious as the bootlegs sound, but I would certainly get a lot more out of hearing the classics brought back to life in a convincing way than hearing Weller murdering a brilliant song by playing it at a ghastly plodding pace as he does with Thick As Thieves.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I don't know about being the judge. I enjoy the music.

From The Jam was enjoyable. It was interesting that Bruce's mike was centre stage and Rick was behind him. Russell Hastings and Dave Moore were right and left of Bruce respectively. Bruce still plays in his old style which was pretty cool. I didn't see Rick until they took a bow at the end. Russell really does sound like Paul Weller and it was great to hear the tinniness of the Rickenbacker again.

I think the irony of the band When You're Young was lost among the refuelled testosterone of a few hundred 40+ males.

I also enjoy The Jamm and they are what they say they are - a tribute band. And a very good one at that.

My thoughts are mixed about From The Jam but good luck to them. The Jam's music was - and still is - important to a lot of people including myself. I'm not sure I'll feel the same way if they record an album. To me The Jam will be Paul Weller. He wrote the songs and most of the music. I know the arguments for and against what I am saying but this is my view.

I wonder what the discussions would be like on the board if there was a From The Attractions with two of the members of the Attractions hooking up with someone else as well as a singer who sung the songs of Elvis Costello.

I had booked to see The Jamm this weekend before From The Jam was announced. I also got put on the guest list for next week recently and so it would be rude not to attend. Three times in one week is a bit excessive because you know the bulk of the songs will be the same. But no doubt I won't be complaining this time next week!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Mozzer tonight at the Dallas "Palladium" - which despite the rather flash name is in fact an old honky tonk just south of downtown. Have kept away from setlists and reviews so have to idea what hes going to play.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Enjoy MB! He's coming to Wolf Trap in Virginia on July 2, but I'll just be returning from a trip to Alaska, so I'll miss it. Anxious to hear all about it.
Otis Westinghouse

Yeah, full account, please. And setlist!

In addition to the When You're Young Irony was the To Be Someone irony. 'Now I'm out on my arse with the rest of the clowns...' I found the whole thing very poignant. There's something about a live band that can put across how powerful the songs are in a way nothing else can. Good account, Verb.
guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices »

Mike Boom wrote:Mozzer tonight at the Dallas "Palladium" - which despite the rather flash name is in fact an old honky tonk just south of downtown. Have kept away from setlists and reviews so have to idea what hes going to play.
I'm seeing him Mon, my wife has never seen him, I havent seen him since 92. I have peaked at setlists, and you're gonna need new pants after the opener.
we have powerlines in our bloodlines
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

The Queen Is Dead / First Of The Gang To Die / The Youngest Was The Most Loved / In The Future When All's Well / You Have Killed Me / Disappointed / Panic / Let Me Kiss You / I Just Want To See The Boy Happy / The National Front Disco / I Will See You In Far Off Places / All You Need Is Me / Girlfriend In A Coma / Everyday Is Like Sunday / The Boy With The Thorn In His Side / Irish Blood, English Heart / At Last I Am Born / I've Changed My Plea To Guilty / Life Is A Pigsty / How Soon Is Now? // The Last Of The Famous International Playboys / You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side.

New pants indeed. I couldnt believe it, even though I was hearing that beginning drum roll, I thought I must have been hearing things. Brilliant opening with various film clips of Mozzer obsessions - Bridget Bardot, wardrobe test shots from East of Eden with James Dean and whatshisface from the Strangeways cover, some film with Albert Finney?New York Dolls, David Johansson in the bath tub advising us all that he was about to light a marijuana cigarette, and then doing so then straight into the Reel Big Fish opening, then straight into The Queen is Dead, complete with a double James Dean back drop. Gobsmacked I was. Not sure Ive recovered yet. Highlights were NFDisco , which despite the lyrics was musically stunning, as was Far Off Places - the crowd virtually drowned out Mozzer on the chorus to Playboys and Panic -Dissapointed was a nice surprise, Girlfriend in a Coma was nicely done, Pigsty had Mozzer writhing about on the floor with his feet on the drum riser and segued straight into How Soon is Now, couldnt have asked for more really. Ace!
echos myron like a siren
Otis Westinghouse

Wow, I wonder is gthat the first time he's played TQID since the old days?

I also love the closing song, he hasn't played that on recent tours.

It all sounds pretty wonderful. A year since I saw him, wish I could again now...
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

echos myron like a siren
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Kristin Hersh - I was unfamilar with her stuff, but Mike Boom included one of her tracks on the recent cover CD circle. I enjoyed he track and I decided to see her. Her band was good. Not really my type of music, but it was enjoyable. I was most impressed by the band that opened up for her. The McCarricks are a husband/wife team (I think). He played the viola and she played the violin. They played with pre-recorded drum machines and ambient music...industrial stuff. No vocals. They both must have been clasically trained. Behind them as they played, a video was playing. Each song they played had a different film playing. Hard to explain, but it was mesmerizing.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Otis Westinghouse

Happy Mondays. Twisting my melon, man. The singer who isn't a frontman and the frontman who doesn't sing. Despite his supposed love of fitness training, Shaun spent half the gig sat down, and had a Guinness or a fag throughout. But they sounded magnificent, especially on Step On, and Bez looked like a mad dance messiah. Great to see these legends in action.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Where did the Mondays play Otis? I saw them in Camden Town in about 86?, brilliant, they finished the set and all walked off the stage except for Bez who danced on playing the maraccas for at least 15 minutes after the rest left, eyes buggin out of his head. Wild and crazy stuff!

Glad you enjoyed Kristen ice!
echos myron like a siren