What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Ooh, I smell a thread coming on...
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Any of our Scandinavian posters familiar with the Norwegian band Madrugada? A friend shared some MP3s with me and I was quite impressed.

http://www.emi.no/madrugada/
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

making my list, and checking it twice.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Well, I finally found an English version of that song I was trying to translate from German, Von Hier An Blind. Turns out the group Wir sind Helden recorded it in English, French and Japanese as well. You can catch the video here.

http://www.emiextranet.com/Stream/6497/54011.ram

It's in the style of The Adventures of Tintin (originally Les Aventures de Tintin), drawn and written by the Belgian writer-artist Georges Remi, a.k.a. Hergé.

Many thanks to shatterproof for trying to help me with the lyrics. Although I must admit that according to the work she and I had done, this English version is not entirely a direct translation but has been made to work with the English language. Still very nice, but I think I still prefer the German version oddly enough.
verena

Post by verena »

Thanks for providing the "solution", I was interested. Had wanted to help you but had to give up.

The original version was easy to understand (German was my first foreign language), but litteral translation wouldn't work. The English song sounds like an adaptation. It's nice.
miss buenos aires

I gave up after about two minutes, embarrassingly enough. Glad you found an English version!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

No problem, MBA. Just because you have streets in Munich named after you doesn't mean you have to be fluent in German. :lol:

And it won't affect your care package being sent. I just have to get my shit together. Hang on down there in South America!
miss buenos aires

Spooky Gee, I'm kind of disturbed by the smileys in your siggy. I always thought smileys were spherical! It's freaking me out, man!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

It's just that our kids our with our ex's until Christmas and it's rather indicative of what Doc and I are doing until they come back. We're going to a champagne tasting tonight. :)

It's pretty fun, wrapping presents while you're drinking.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

verena

Post by verena »

About Gainsbourg, WWS. He may have had perverse thoughts and fantasms that transpired in his work, but he was a shy, modest, and very decent man.
I think that the core of him was not perversity but despair. In particular, he always thought of himself as a failure, whatever his huge success, because he considered what he did (song writing/music/singing) to be meaningless as compared to "major art". Why did he have to stick to old conventions, I don't know.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Now there's a surprise. They're playing Cambridge on a Feb tour, and I'll be in Dublin! Might have to go to see them at the Astoria in London the next week, though I'll probably be in Italy that week! Damn, once wasn't enough.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Sorry to hear you'll miss 'em. Right now I'm listening to:

RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

I Believe in Father Christmas, by Emerson, Lake & Palmer seems to be the only christmas song I can't get enough of right now.
mood swung

too freaking cold!

Post by mood swung »

it was 14 degrees this morning. I'm thinking sunny warm thoughts, and searching for that large shaker of salt.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

One of the more recent albums by the magestic, underrated jazz vocalist Helen Merrill:

Her old Emarcy collaboration with Clifford Brown is one of the great jazz vocal albums of the '50s, along with the equally wonderful Brownie/Sarah Vaughan album:

verena

Post by verena »

Old country music. I bought a 4 CD "ballads" compilation that has one song I am crazy for, I don't know if it's famous :

"Desperados waiting for a train" - Highwayman.
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

El Vez

Post by El Vez »

verena wrote:Old country music. I bought a 4 CD "ballads" compilation that has one song I am crazy for, I don't know if it's famous :

"Desperados waiting for a train" - Highwayman.
Yeah, that's a pretty famous song written by Guy Clark. Lots of people have covered that one, including David Allen Coe, but The Highwaymen version is by far the most famous. Being the sort of prick that I am, I still prefer Guy Clark's own, rough-hewed original.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

A Rude 5 MLAR tour rehearsals CD incredible Pole sent me. I love it and wish I could share it on dime but I don't know how. Great versions of Invasion Hit Parade, So Like Candy, The Other Side Of Summer, Hidden Shame, Suit Of Lights & a faster, poppier Home Is Where You Hang Your Head, among others.
What this world needs is more silly men.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

that kind of morning.

wake up and play, peeps! If I have to work today, somebody is going to keep me company...
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

A gallon of coke later, and I feel just a little perkier.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I was feeling adventurous this morning, so I've been listening to napster's top 99 for 2005, hearing all the stuff I'd heard about but never heard, lots that were way below my radar (which is set on soccer mom/worker bee, remember) and 3 or 4 that I had.

I might have a cherry coke with lunch. Or maybe I'll put dijon on my ham sandwich, instead of french's. The possibilities are endless!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Live it to the max!

So who did you hear that you liked?

And who is Jack Johnson, anyway? The HMV shop here was virtually a shrine to him this week.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

BANG! goes another Kanga on the bonnet of the van.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load