New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

seriously, I am secretly an 11 year old boy.
I am secretly a catholic priest. Will you meet me in the park?
signed with love and vicious kisses
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

little c catholic or big c?

seriously, I am NOT sharing any of my 79 points or secrets.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

so lacklustre wrote:I have guaranteed tickets to see the Arctic Monkeys next month. I like the way they have done this, everyone registered on their website had the chance to register interest for one date on their tour, they then did a random computerised selection - and I came out. I now have a three day time slot to buy the tickets using the code they sent me.
I also got a confirmation email and booked my tickets this morning for London Astoria on 12th April. I am very pleased!

I also booked tickets for Kings of Leon at Hammersmith Apollo on 12th July.

My concert schedule this year is getting very hectic.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Kings of Leon! I can't wait for their new one. Hopefully, they'll come back to K-town.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

well, we saw steve forbert in a little 100 year old bldg with 120 50 year olds last night. he was a gas. i could do that every week. quirky guy. he had a hard time getting the first song started. but he did, and kept getting better and everyone sang and he was very clever and gracious. and shook your hand afterwards.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Sonny Landreth - Very good show. His band was tight; himself, a bassist, and drums. Now I'm just waiting for the buzzing in my ears to stop.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Going to go see Lloyd Cole here in Sydney on the 19th, his 3rd show at The Basement. They have show & dinner packages but they're about double the price of a floor ticket and I'm not sure I'd want to mix seeing a show with sitting and eating dinner anyway, much less with other people. I can handle a small bite beforehand and to stand for the duration of the show. Besides, I'm going to try to tape the show with my mini iriver and I want to try to get a good spot for that.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Saw the Fall last night at Hammersmith Palais - supposedly the last ever gig there. Heavy lineup - two guitars, two basses, drums and keyboards - they played for nearly an hour, though they only reached back for one "oldie" - Wrong Place, Right Time - most everything else was from the last 3 lps. Ted Chippington opened up and was heckled off the stage - it seemed that was what he was aiming at - not funny in the least; just curious.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I just got a ticket for Erin McKeown, in Whelans , Dublin, this Thurs. I haven't heard it , but her new album of ' wayward cast-offs of Americana ' looks interesting .

http://www.erinmckeown.com/

I also just booked a ticket for Camera Obscura's Dublin date in May.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Well done for making it to The (Mighty) Fall gig! History in the making. Were there encores from stage right, charging from the bass stack to the treble?

Boo: good move! I'm with you over food. Far too much to concentrate on to want anything more than beer in your mouth. You won't regret it. Would love to hear your boot if it records well! Hope it's not full of scraping cutlery and clinking glass. Lloyd solo is excellent, I think - Jackson and I had the pleasure years ago now. Would love to catch him again like that. He kept putting his frayed finger ends in an ice bucket!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Erin McKeown did a enjoyable show, mostly crowd pleasers. She seemed to correctly gauge that most of the crowd was more into having a boistrous, eve of Good Friday time and did lots of audience participation stuff , singing choruses etc. Considering it was just her singing and playing electric guitar and Allison Miller on drums they whipped up a big sound. Both seemed to be enjoying themselves , with big grins all the time. After an hour and twenty minute set she happily signed stuff ( I got the vinyl edition of her latest album) and thanked all for the support.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Going this afternoon to buy tickets for Elvis at the Nokia Theatre (worth the hassle to deny Ticketmaster the inconvenience fees). Yay! Anyone else going?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Arctic Monkeys @ Southampton Guildhall - last night

Superb gig, they played most of the first album and about 8 new tracks. Very good sound and the band were on good form. The new songs sounded good, can't wait for the new album now. They are touring North America and Europe after their UK tour, highly recommended.

http://www.arcticmonkeys.com/gigs.php
signed with love and vicious kisses
verbal gymnastics

My friend went to the Arctics last night and also said it was excellent. Mind you she said it was sweltering in there. I'm going on Thursday to the Astoria to see them to be followed by seeing Bob Dylan at Wembley on Sunday.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Will be seeing Bill Frisell this Friday at the Village Vanguard.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:'Boo: good move! I'm with you over food. Far too much to concentrate on to want anything more than beer in your mouth. You won't regret it. Would love to hear your boot if it records well! Hope it's not full of scraping cutlery and clinking glass. Lloyd solo is excellent, I think - Jackson and I had the pleasure years ago now. Would love to catch him again like that. He kept putting his frayed finger ends in an ice bucket!
A 15th anniversary present as he's playing on yours? And I'll send a copy out to anyone else who asks for one. But first we'll see how it goes!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Scott Matthews and a bloke on percussion delivered an impassioned and thoughtful show tonight in the Village,Dublin with loads of intricate guitar playing. However it was all in vain as a typical Thursday night crowd of drunken culchies ( marking their last night in town before they feck of back to the country on Friday) yapped all the way thorough it. Scott didn't seem too put out by it and was all smiles etc. He could have helped things by doing a more in-your-face show to dominate things but, I guess, thats not his style. I look forward to seeing him in more sympathetic circumstances.
verbal gymnastics

Arctic Monkeys last night was fantastic although I thought my days of being in a crowd where beer was thrown at regular intervals were over. They were incredibly tight and Alex Turner actually spoke between some songs although it was difficult to make out what he was saying. There were also plenty of people crowd surfing although I declined the offer.

I'm looking forward to the new album.

The support act I saw, The Little Flames, were excellent too and reminded me of my punk days!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Great set by Bill Frisell last night at the Vanguard. His "Masters of War" was something else (bit of John McLaughlin circa 1969), and he threw in a lovely version of Lucinda Williams' "Ventura". What an extraordinary guitarist. He can get down and dirty and fuzz it out, or play with subtle little touches and all kinds of lovely effects.

I didn't see EC in the audience, but it wouldn't surprise me if he were there. The place was packed. I don't know why I hadn't been there in so long. Seeing a show at the Vanguard is one of those quintessential New York experiences that's really special. It's like a cathedral of jazz - in a basement.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Pre 19th gig article on, and interview with, Lloyd Cole. http://www.smh.com.au/news/gig-reviews/ ... 32852.html

excerpt - "I don't have the will to digest a lot of novelty any more," he says. "I went out and actively listened to an Arcade Fire song and I didn't like it. How can you be a 45-year-old man excited by the Arctic Monkeys? I think it's great that there's a band out there that sounds a bit like The Fall selling gazillions of records but I don't need to listen to it."

I can relate to that, 'cept I've just turned 37 not 45. How old are Arctic Monkeys gig fanatics verbal and SoLack again..? 8)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Not sure this constitutes a gig, but I just ordered two tickets for the world premiere performance of Not The Messiah, a new oratorio by Eric Idle & John DuPrez based on Monty Python's Life of Brian.

http://www.luminato.com/english/list.php?eid=20175
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

bambooneedle wrote:I can relate to that, 'cept I've just turned 37 not 45. How old are Arctic Monkeys gig fanatics verbal and SoLack again..? 8)
Younger at heart than old grouch Lloyd, much as I worship the wind that gusts from his derriere. And they don´t have floppy-haired guitarband teenage sons who can do that sort of thing for them (I´m half way there on that score), so have to experience it for themselves.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I Like The Arctic Monkeys, but I wouldn't go out of my way, and actually pay money, to see them in a room full of teenyboppers.
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Busy summer:

Going to see Built To Spill in May. Fun! Never thought they'd stop by here.

Going to the Roskilde festival in early July. Plan to see at least Arcade Fire and Camera Obscura.

Going to see EC & AT in late July.

And possibly, just before EC, visiting the Stockholm Jazz Festival to see Steely Dan. How are they live? Anyone seen them on recent tours?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Have been up listening to ma new Lloyd Cole bootleg that I made last night and I'm pleased to say that it has come out sounding ok - not great, but ok. Lloyd held the audience captive as few songwriters can, Rob Snarski supported nicely (ex-Black Eyed Susans, fine band in which singer Dave McComb from The Triffids also was in for a time, Snarski even included a couple of the latter's songs) - an exceedingly enjoyable evening of music. Will post the setlist tomorrow and make comments - eyelids heavy, pillow soft.