New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Oh yeah, Big Love was in there too, acoustic version, was great, complete with all the ooohh ahhhh s in the ending section.
Go Insane was played acoustically too to great effect ..."And the rumors are flying..."
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I've booked tickets for me and Mrs VG to see The Pipettes :oops: although I have to say I love their album!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I like it too. Good fluffy fun.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I've booked tickets for me and Mrs VG to see The Pipettes :oops: although I have to say I love their album!
No need to be ashamed, I'm a big fan, too.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
verbal gymnastics

Phew - acknowledgement from the cool kids. Is it safe for me to now say that I booked the tickets for myself and am dragging Mrs VG along for company? :lol:
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Phew - acknowledgement from the cool kids.
Hehe. First time I've ever been put in that category!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://shorefire.com/blog/2007/01/now-t ... nment.html

posted by Rebecca Shapiro

Tuesday, January 30, 2007
Now That's Entertainment!

Last night, Peter and I scored VIP passes to the first of Paul Weller’s sold-out three night residency at Irving Plaza to celebrate the release of Hit Parade, his new box set. (Tickets were selling up to $1200 a piece on eBay.) It was said that last night’s show would pay special attention to songs of The Jam but we discovered upon arrival that Paul was only planning to do 6 Jam songs which was kind of a bummer. Nevertheless, he was in impeccable form and belted out a slew of his hits spanning his entire career. Check out the set list which I got my hands on before the show even started:

Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Missed the fact that Cornershop was there. Nice one. Is that unusual?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
verbal gymnastics

He used to play it in his early solo days and it would make an appearance here and there but I think it's the first time it's been played for quite a number of years.

I certainly haven't seen him play it this century!
verbal gymnastics

I went to see The Magic Numbers on Friday night. They interpolated Kate Bush's Running Up That Hill into one of their songs. They were as enjoyable as ever. I think they still have the feel of a band who find it hard to believe that they are successful. On Saturday morning my mate who came with me bumped into Michelle Stoddart in his local high street and whilst she stopped to chat to him he got a bit flustered and couldn't say anything! :lol:

I was a bit gutted when I saw that on Saturday night they had a choir to sing one of their songs AND they also did a cover of Spandau Ballet's Gold :shock:

One of the things I like about them is that they always throw in a cover version.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Will be seeing Graham Parker at our local watering hole this Saturday, then Neko Case (two sets at Lincoln Center) next Friday.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Lucinda on 4/22.
ImageHAha.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Otis Westinghouse

Observer review of west said it was her best yet and raved about it. Said if it was Courtney Love's comeback LP, it would be hailed as a masterpiece by all and sundry, but as it wasn't it would be a marginal Americana success only.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Just back from seeing Graham Parker at my local club. He previewed a fair amount of material from his upcoming album, Don't Tell Columbus. Also played quite a few of my favorites from his back catalogue - "Heat Treatment," "Discovering Japan," "Lady Doctor," etc. Lots of rarities from some of his live albums as well. A geat night of music, and only 5 minutes from my door - what could be better?
Otis Westinghouse

Did he play a cover of Town(e) Crier?

Presumably it's a small venue and he plays to small audiences of adoring cognoscenti. I just read he's released 4 LPs in 3 years, so his work rate seems amazing (now 56). I lost contact after my one and only purchase (SOS, of course), but given all the enthusiasm here, do wonder about reacquainting myself with stuff from after that classic. Where to begin?

I wonder where he plays in the UK. Nothing on his site and can't see details of anything recent. Found this, though:

"His fans round the world show a great deal of tenacity, collecting all his releases, but Parker himself feels he cannot survive on minor labels. His answers to fans' questions on the Squeezing Out Sparks website show him to be quite anti-commercial, thoughtful, wickedly witty and completely unsentimental. His private life is preciously guarded and he dislikes having to be "on" when performing and prefers a relaxed, chatty style in small venues. He never seems short of a comment or opinion on just about any subject and enjoys deflating his own reputation. He has a passion for soccer, but so far hasn't written a song about it."

So who are his team? Tottenham? Arse? Chelse? Brentford? Leyton Orient?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

He does seem very relaxed playing in a small club setting. He did not mention anything about football/soccer, but did have a bit of a laugh at a review of his new album that said he's "angry again". He played quite a bit of non-album and unrecorded stuff - "2000 Funerals" (now updated to "3000 Funerals"),"Three Martini Lunch," "Hotel Chambermaid".

SOS and Howlin' Wind are my favorites from his back catalogue, though The Mona Lisa's Sister and The Real Macaw, both from the 1980s, are IMO very underrated albums. Your Country is my favorite of his recent records.

I think he lives almost exclusively in the States now - he's a pretty astute observer of what's happening here, socially and politically.

A QPR fan site says he's a Rs supporter.
Otis Westinghouse

Poor bugger! Hankering after the Rodney Marsh years...
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Joan Armatrading @ Sage, Gateshead Wed 22nd Feb 2007

Marvellous! The voice is still a thing of wonder.
Only a handful of 'hits', and only one song on an acoustic guitar (Love & Affection, of course). New stuff v. bluesy.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
verbal gymnastics

I booked to see From The Jam which, according to two of my mates, has to be done.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Will be seeing Neko Case tomorrow night at Lincoln Center with the missus - two sets back to back and we are staying for both, as it's been a bear lining up babysitting.

PS - Wow, this is the setting, high above Columbus Circle - what a view. Glad I snagged one of the tables!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/atease/384736591/
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Booked to see Jarvis Cocker in April at Webster Hall.
Otis Westinghouse

Nice one. Hope he plays 'Cunts...'!
verbal gymnastics wrote:I booked to see From The Jam which, according to two of my mates, has to be done.
Me too. Couldn't not. Good gig to get pissed up at and pretend it's 1980 again.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Just back from seeing Neko Case and her band at Lincoln Center. What a spectacular setting, with the East Side skyline and Central Park in the background. We were lucky enough to have a table for both sets, with a nice bottle of wine, close to the stage.

Suffice to say that Neko's voice is a hell of an instrument, and she was really in peak form. Great little band too. She played a lot of my favorites and threw in a few surprises. I think I'm in love. :wink:

Set list was something like this (an über list for the two sets, which had a lot of overlap)...

A Widow's Toast
Things That Scare Me
Favorite
Dirty Knife
Set Out Running
Buckets Of Rain (Dylan cover)
Star Witness
Margaret Vs. Pauline
Maybe Sparrow
The Tigers Have Spoken
Wish I Was The Moon
If You Knew
Furnace Room Lullaby
Hex (Catherine Irwin cover)
Hold On, Hold On
That Teenage Feeling
Deep Red Bells
John Saw That Number
In California
Lady Pilot
Look For Me (I'll Be Around)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Just booked for Scott Matthews The Village, Dublin, Thu 12 Apr 2007 and Chris Isaak, National Stadium ( even though Chris' site says The Ambassador), Dublin, Mon 16 Apr 2007.

http://www.scottmatthewsmusic.co.uk/enterm.html

http://chrisisaak.com/

I also have a ticket Martin Hayes, Dennis Cahill and Bill Frisell
Vicar Street, Dublin, Sat 12 May 2007.

http://www.aikenpromotions.com/event.asp?eid=154

(extract)

Irish trad virtuoso Martin Hayes and Grammy-winning jazz guitarist Bill Frisell are long-time admirers of each other’s work. After many informal discussions about collaboration, Note Productions is delighted to bring these acclaimed musicians together for a one-off project.
Otis Westinghouse

Did someone say not so long ago they'd seen The Waterboys? I seem to recall, but can't find in this thread on search. If so, any good? They're playing here April and I've always fancied seeing them, and the missus is a fan (rare joint gig outing! - she more or less refuses to go to standing gigs, due to being just a touch over 5 ft and not a music fanatic in general).