New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Saw Jeff Tweedy doing a solo show in Dublin last night. I kept thinking of the Costello solo shows in the 1980's when it would be a minute or so in to a song and then I'd recognise it , having been so used to the Wilco/Loose Fur/ Uncle Tupelo band versions. Excellent show , Jeff being chatty between songs but not too much so. Someone shouted for him to puke, like in the documentary about recording one of the Wilco albums . He said that could be arranged, spinning of into a surreal scenario of people lining up outside the washroom , being charged $20 a time to see him do the deed. He finished, nicking a move from Elvis , by doing a song without amplification, the audience silently, raptly listening.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Have tickets for Lindsey Buckingham playing the Bass Hall in Fort Worth on Jan 27. Hooray!
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Busy month coming up

Paul Weller tomorrow
Billy Bragg on 16th.

Mrs VG also wants me to go to see George Michael with her as she has a spare ticket so I'll probably go. She said something about him rocking the joint...

I'm also contemplating going tto see The Jamm (The Jam tribute band in case there's any doubt :lol: ) on Wednesday 20th December. I've seen them before and they were really good. I seem to be having a massive Paul Weller resurgence at the moment.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Mrs VG also wants me to go to see George Michael with her as she has a spare ticket so I'll probably go. She said something about him rocking the joint...
I love the lengths you go to to make it look as though you're only going out of support for the wife with her spare ticket! (Was chuckling over this earlier watching the pretty tedious Keane on Later.) Don't forget to wear your commemorative Wham! shuttlecock down yer trousers.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Mike B.

Why are you going to see Lindsey Lohan? I know she has put out a CD, but is she good?
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Ha! Lindsey Lohan, Britney Spears and Paris Hilton - to quote Bruce Cockburn - "if I had a rocket launcher..."
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

After seeing 5 great gigs in November, December is a bit quieter. Only gong to see gigs by The Zutons, Dinasaur Jr and The Roots. Yawnnnnn!!!
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

martinfoyle wrote:After seeing 5 great gigs in November, December is a bit quieter. Only gong to see gigs by The Zutons, Dinasaur Jr and The Roots. Yawnnnnn!!!
The Dinosaur Jr. gig will wake you up Martin!!
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Indeed, I full expect to fuck up my hearing that bit more at The Temple Bar Music Centre which wont have the girly decibel restriction that Jeff and the lads had to suffer at The Ambassador last year.
Btw, here's a mp3 of the The Twilights doing that medley that impressed me so much at The Village

http://www.4shared.com/file/6842004/fc8 ... _2006.html
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Excellent! Many thanks. I'm anxious to hear how the Mascis/Barlow/Murph chemistry is holding up and whether they are playing many post-Barlow tunes in the set.
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Seeing E.C & A.C with an 8-man band (which I assume is The Imposters & those horny guys) in July. Looking forward to this so much, so let's just hope they don't cancel it again!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I'm on my way up to Northampton, Mass. on Saturday with my buddy Tom to see Pernice Brothers at the Iron Horse. I'm hoping that they'll dig out some nuggets from the Scud Mountain Boys days, as this is a bit of a homecoming for them.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

last night - paul Weller - very good show

tomorrow - carthy's, waterson et al

14th dec - billy bragg

march - fratellis
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:I'm on my way up to Northampton, Mass. on Saturday with my buddy Tom to see Pernice Brothers at the Iron Horse. I'm hoping that they'll dig out some nuggets from the Scud Mountain Boys days, as this is a bit of a homecoming for them.
Keep your eyes out for Lloyd Cole-- that's his stomping ground.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I will!
verbal gymnastics

verbal gymnastics wrote:Mrs VG also wants me to go to see George Michael with her as she has a spare ticket so I'll probably go. She said something about him rocking the joint...
Otis Westinghouse wrote:I love the lengths you go to to make it look as though you're only going out of support for the wife with her spare ticket! (Was chuckling over this earlier watching the pretty tedious Keane on Later.)
I can't wait until next year when my wife gets her Phil Collins tickets and I go to keep her company :lol:
Otis Westinghouse wrote:Don't forget to wear your commemorative Wham! shuttlecock down yer trousers.
Don't worry, it's already down there (I never leave home without it). Now all I need is my Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go T shirt...

Paul Weller was superb on Saturday night. He played Thick as Thieves which was my all time favourite song by The Jam. The only criticism I would level is that the set list is a bit tired now. Having said that though, he was superb and in great form between songs.

I've even been prompted to book to see The Jamm with the Paul Weller Connexion which are both good cover versions bands at the 100 Club in Oxford Street on 20th December.
Otis Westinghouse

Wow, Thick As Thieves is indeed a thrill. Would love to see that. It's a bit like New Order or Scritti Politti, everytime an old classic comes out and is dusted down, it's massively exciting. My Weller-loving colleague told me he'd read about doing three nights in NY some time soon, one of Jam only, one Style C, one solo. True or rumour? Killer idea!
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Wow, Thick As Thieves is indeed a thrill. Would love to see that. It's a bit like New Order or Scritti Politti, everytime an old classic comes out and is dusted down, it's massively exciting. My Weller-loving colleague told me he'd read about doing three nights in NY some time soon, one of Jam only, one Style C, one solo. True or rumour? Killer idea!
Good question. The NY shows apparently were billed as you described. However, there now seems to be some confusion and may be "Jam themed" or "Style Council themed" with a heavy dose of the solo stuff as well. And the tickets were/are going for big $'s on ebay.

I went and saw him on Sunday in Poole. He (they) were incredible. Outside of the Jam songs, I was really impressed with material from his most recent lp. He threw in "Running On The Spot" in the middle of the show and ended the evening with "Town Called Malice". It kind of made me wonder why I've been avoiding him since "The Gift" tour. Fantastic.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
verbal gymnastics

He's been ending with Town Called Malice for a while now. But they're on top form, no doubt about that. To be honest BWAP I think he had a few patchy tours - I avoided when he toured with Heliocentric and Illumination because I don't like the albums and when he played touring Studio 150 he only played one song from it! A bit like when we saw Elvis at Bournemouth playing songs from north (which turned out to only be one song!).

I've seen Weller four times in the last 3 years and he's definitely gotten better.

The three night stint in New York is on the lines of themed evenings as you rightly state. I hope he brings the show to the UK. By the way he hasn't been including any Style Council songs in the set on this tour so far.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

What an incredible set by Pernice Brothers last night at the Iron Horse. His mom and dad were sat at the table next to us. Great little intimate club, table service drinks, great great music. I wasn't wild about Elvis Perkins (Anthony Perkins' son), the opening band - like bad Robyn Hitchcock. But Joe and the band were on fire. Setlist was:

High as a Kite
Weakest Shade of Blue
Overcome by Happiness
Automaton
Water Ban
Conscience Clean
The Ballad of Bjorn Borg
There Goes the Sun
Microscopic View
Butcher's Tale (Western Front 1914) (Zombies cover)
Zero Refills
Lightheaded
B.S. Johnson
PCH One
Baby in Two
Flaming Wreck
Somerville

Encores:
Bum Leg
Please Mr. Please (Olivia Newton-John cover)
Working Girls
7:30

Show ended at 1AM - so we crashed at a hotel and drove home this morning.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Otis Westinghouse

Zero Refills on current The Word comp, very, very nice. Doofster's mega-comp features a few tracks by them (him?), so am looking forward to those. How many LPs and which is the best?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Well, the new album, Live a Little, is one of their very best. They've done 5 albums under the Pernice Brothers moniker (Joe's brother Bob sort of comes and goes as a fringe member, hence the band's name). Joe also did one album of songs under his own name, called Big Tobacco, which I love, as well as an album of songs as Chappaquiddick Skyline. Before that, his band Scud Mountain Boys made music in more of an alt-country style (their last album, Massachusetts, is tremendous).

If I were going to rank Joe's albums, I'd say...

1. Overcome by Happiness
2. Live a Little
3. Yours, Mine and Ours
4. The World Won't End
5. Massachusetts
6. Discover a Lovelier You
7. Big Tobacco
8. Chappaquiddick Skyline
9. Pine Box/The Early Year (earlier SMB)
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Will be traveling back up to Northampton to see Camera Obscura and The Essex Green in January, weather permitting.

No Lloyd Cole sighting, MG, though he may have been lost among the Christmas shoppers. They did have quite a bit of his stuff (vinyl and CD) at the record store in the basement of Thorne's Marketplace.
Otis Westinghouse

I love that store.

Fuck, that's a lot of LPs! Thanks for the guidance, though!
Otis Westinghouse

Billy Bragg at The Junction. Great gig. Wish I'd been to see him in the past. I think the live experience is where he really comes into his own. I've never heard so much talking at a gig(from the stage), but he's captivating with it. He could spend the evening talking and you'd laugh and be politically inspired throughout. I could write so many things about this gig, but for now let me say that the website official description that this was going to be half reissues Vol 2 and half new stuff was totally misleading, it was all his famous songs, with some new ones, some, I imagine, from the vol. 2 stuff, and Way Over Yonder In The Minor Key and Ingrid Bergman from Mermaid Avenue (the former with descriptions of Woody as a rascal, and wry references to the hollow tree, etc., and the latter with some hysterical stuff about Woody and his infatuation with Ingrid). And of course Levi Stubbs Tears and New England were there at the end. And then he did a book signing and my friend got her book signed, so we were up close to the man, who was amazingly friendly to everyone, engaging with all of them. He played in front of an anti-BNP banner with ¡No Pasarán!' on, celebrating both the 70th anniv of the Spanish civil war and the Cable St anti-fascist protests in London. The stuff about his horror at the BNP getting council seats in Barking and its being the inspiration to write a book as a song wasn't enough, hence The Progressive Patriot: A Search For Belonging, was very powerful.

I fully appreciated his qualities as a passionate vocalist, songwriter of distinction, lyricist of wit and commitment and all round qualities as fantastic man. The theme of the tour is Hope Not Hate, and he dwelt on how the evil of the world is a result of cynicism, not Conservatism and capitalism, and that racism is a product of cynicism. When I arrived I was somewhat dismayed by how huge his audience was at the relatively small Junction compared to Ron Sexsmith's a month before, but what struck me was how his message of hope and non-cynicism was incredibly similar to that of Ron in songs such as Former Glory and Still Time.

You can't be a Billy Bragg fan and have a heart full of cynicism, and this was an uplifting lesson to learn at the gig.