Recent CD Purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

ice nine wrote:Bambaa, is she anything like Casey Chambers?
Missy Higgins is way better than that Kasey Chambers.

You should hear the way she sings,
"You bathe me in your finest wine but I'll never give you mine
'Cos I'm a little bit tired of fearing that I'll be... the bad fruit nobody buys..." , in her slightly tomboyish way. But she's all girl, and so hot. Her new single is Ten Days, featuring Scar live as well which incidentally is what really hooked me on her when she performed it live on radio with a short interview.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

I couldn't find anything by David Sancious, Mr. Average, so I bought Arturo Sandoval's 1998 release 'Hot House'. I am listening to it now through headphones and it makes me want to go out to a Latin club.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

christmas finally came to my house - the last package from amazon (and I hope the site got some $$ off it, it was placed some time ago)

anyway, what I've been waiting on to make my holiday complete

The Vandals - Oi to the World! featuring Thanx for Nothing, Christmas Time for My Penis, My First X-Mas (as a woman) and the ever-popular Hang Myself From the Tree.

A bullet sends a Christmas message that is clear and loud
it says that I will not take this bullshit lying down
I'll get a gun for Christmas to protect my other gifts
I'll only tell you once 'stay the fuck away from my shit'

now, don't you feel all christmas-y inside?
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I posted this somewhere else, but I picked up The Futureheads' self-titled album while I was in the UK and have been listening to it obsessively. A real live wire - great fun.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Mr. Average

Dazed and Confused

Post by Mr. Average »

The Blasters- "Testament- The Complete SLASH Recordings"

Pat Metheny "One Quiet Night"

Genesis- "Seconds Out" (adding to CD to vinyl collection)

Aerosmith - "First Album" featuring 'Dream On' (adding CD to vinyl...the 'good' Aerosmith album, in my opinion. After this one...)

English Beat - "I Just Can't Stop It" (adding to CD to vinyl collection)

Green Day - "American Idiot"

Ray Charles - "Ray" Soundtrack
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

That Blasters compilation is something else. Great music and so much fun it should be illegal.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Mr. Average wrote:Aerosmith - "First Album" featuring 'Dream On' (adding CD to vinyl...the 'good' Aerosmith album, in my opinion. After this one...)
Mr. Average, that's a fine record. I think of the early Aerosmith as the ultimate garage band, just amazing dynamics and chemistry... there's no better introduction to that than that album. I find the next three albums-- Get Your Wings, Toys In The Attic and Rocks-- however, the most interesting. There's something about Jack Douglas' production, the sounds and imagery melts into something dreamy and mythical-- Seasons Of Wither, Adam's Apple, Nobody's Fault, et al... They were real discoveries for me at 16 at a time when they were virtually unknown or forgotten. After those albums they started to stagnate and get lost, and have seemed unable or unwilling to produce anything near as fresh or imaginative as they had in their mid 20's ever since... oh well.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Bamboo:

Completely agree, but the polish went on, and the garage band sound softened beginning with Get Your Wings. However, as you mentioned them in proper chronological release order, that is precisely how my interest tracked with time. I liked Get Your Wings a lot...it was an anthem record for me. Toys in the Attic had killer tunes but filler tunes. And Rocks had more filler than killer. After that, I lost interest.

But I do indeed agree. I was in high school and these guys were very important. I saw them twice within a year at relatively smal venues, and they were incredible band for a young kid to be into.

Joe Perry/Steve Stevens (Billy Idol) were my two favorite rock and roll guitarists around that time. Great memories for this old guy. Thanks for the message.
guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices »

I just got the Left Of The Dial: 80s Underground box set from Rhino. I've loved every Rhino box I've ever gotten, and I grew up in this period, and yet I'm not digging this.

Also just ordered The Pet Sounds Sessions box set.

Been listening to Arcade Fire a lot lately, one of the best concerts I've seen in years.
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Rilo Kiley - more ...
Springsteen - Born in the usa (at last)
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

The Delfonics Collection (yes, just been watching Jackie Brown)
Toots & The Maytals - Greatest Hits
signed with love and vicious kisses
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Aerosmith was a good band until they sobered up.

Seven Steps: The Complete Columbia Recordings 1963-64 - Miles Davis
Wish You Were Here - Badfinger
Sweet Patootie: The Complete Reprise Recordings - Fats Domino
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Iggy Pop - Lust For Life
Ibrahim Ferrer - Buenos Hermanos
Marvin Gaye - Gold (I needed "Stubborn Kind Of Fellow" and "Ain't That Peculiar" on a CD of some kind :) )
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

v-roys - are you through yet?

el vez, I'm liking scott's solo stuff better. I just gotta be me.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

mood swung wrote:
el vez, I'm liking scott's solo stuff better. I just gotta be me.
Like I said, he's a talented guy but I have my reasons for being a little cool to his output.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

I purchased the DeLovely CD and DVD for Mrs S for Valentine's Day.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

shatterproof wrote:Neko Case - Canadian Amp: recorded in her kitchen
Ooh, good one! I actually listened to this one last night for the first time in at least two years. I really enjoy her take on Poor Ellen Smith (one of those songs *everbody* does once......like Milk Cow Blues) and Hank's Alone & Forsaken. Great stuff.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Indulged in my first spree of the year. Been trying to stem the cash haemhorrage via the, er, exchange economy scenario.

The Delivery Man 2CD (Had to, didn't I? Means I can give away the original and make someone happy. Extra CD is good but not great. Good price on play.com, and came quick.)

Then to Fopp, a shop with so many stunning offers that my heart trembles as I near the threshold, though they didn't have the Durutti Column £5 titles someone had mentioned to me, sadly. Got these:

Joni Mitchell - Clouds £5 (Never actually heard this. Superb Word article has got me interested in hearing her entire canon. What a talent.)

Irish Greatest Bands compilation £5 - which features lots of solo singers too. (This was an appeasement offering for my Irish wife, she gets worried when I start frequenting Fopp again. Lots of classics, many of which we had on CD, some we didn't like Thin Lizzy's Whiskey In The Jar, and Sinead doing Nothing Compares. Comes with a bonus CD of a rather silly CD about a woman who keeps seeing Bono around Dublin, and he then appears in the shop in which she works.)

XTC - Oranges and Lemons £5 (Heavily praised by the several fans here, have played the first few songs, sounds great. Yet again, this reissue contains a lyric sheet reduced from vinyl 12" to CD size, so it's about 3pt type. It is genuinely illegible, magnifying glass only. They also had the second LP, I think it's the second, the one with all the printed text on the front.)

Bob Dylan - the 1966 'Royal Albert Hall' (as in Free Trade Hall Manchester) Bootleg recording £8 (Great price for a double plus book, and the perfect accompaniment for forthcoming reading of Chronicles.

Also, the Broken Family Band new CD Welcome Home, Loser was playing in the shop, sounding good and Mark Lamarr played a very nice piece off it on the radio. They're a Cambridge band, unusually enough. Came out last week, but Amazon don't even list it. Here's a link for an earlier one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 65-6486801

And http://www.thebrokenfamilyband.com/ for more.

Uncut has given the new one a glowing 4 star review.

They're an English alt.country type thing. I saw them play at our kids' school barbecue a couple of years ago, and was impressed (especially seeing as I and my dads covers band landed the same event last year, but then we did play for free!). Anyone heard them at all?

Also, anyone heard/buying the new Doves Some Cities? Sounds promising.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:XTC - Oranges and Lemons £5 (Heavily praised by the several fans here, have played the first few songs, sounds great. Yet again, this reissue contains a lyric sheet reduced from vinyl 12" to CD size, so it's about 3pt type. It is genuinely illegible, magnifying glass only. They also had the second LP, I think it's the second, the one with all the printed text on the front.)
It's "Go2". Probably their worst album, but still not too bad. I have all of the XTC Japanese reissues, which are, as you describe, like shrunken vinyl versions, with miniaturized artwork. Happily, the Japanese imports also feature a fold-out sheet with lyrics and a lot of other stuff I don't understand. Found them mis-priced at Barnes & Noble, said nothing and snapped up the lot. I think their most underrated album is probably "Nonsuch", though the two more recent "Apple Venus" albums, neglected as they were, are also very very good.
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
Also, anyone heard/buying the new Doves Some Cities? Sounds promising.
It's a great album. Atmospheric in a very good way. Combines the melody of the second with the melancholia of their first. Reviews in Word and Q were positive.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

After "English Settlement" which I have as XTC's "Sergeant Peppers", I like Oranges and Lemons next. Not their best lyrically. One of the best instrumentatlly. In combination, a great record, and typically available for budget price.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Rolling Stones - Some Girls. have it on vinyl, but haven't heard it in a long long time. like 20 years, maybe. This used to be my Getting Ready to Go Out record. I cranked it up driving home yesterday and pondered why, if Mick didn't ask for those children some girls give him, why didn't he just get a vasectomy? Respectable! Before They Make Me Run! Far Away Eyes! why did I live so long with out it?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

mood... back in the summer of 2003, I was listening to Some Girls in the car on the way to that massive Stones concert we had here for SARS relief. Then it went missing. Only about a month ago did I finally find it in the last possible place I expected to: my sister's room.

It was hard enough for me not having it accessible for a year and a half, I can't imagine not having it for 20 years.. one of my favourite Stones albums.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Antony & The Johnsons "I Am A Bird Now", as great as the last one

snfu "In The Meantime And In Between Time", best melodic hardcore in years

Richard Thompson "The Chrono Show", excellent solo acoustic live (but get "Celtschmerz" first)

Dave Alvin "Public Domain" which I haven't listened to all the way through yet but seems great

The Pogues reissues with Shane for the songs I didn't have on CD. And once again I'm reminded of how incredible they were. Even "Hell's Ditch" and "Peace and Love".

frankblackfrancis. Have played CD2 almost every day since I got it, which I really didn't expect since I was already so familiar with most of the songs. New magical stripped-down versions of old Pixies numbers played by Frank and two French guys I think. And CD1 is an intense solo acoustic demo recorded on a small cassette player prior to recording Come On Pilgrim. A great pair.

(Looking out for Andrew Bird after listening to the mp3s on his homepage)
What this world needs is more silly men.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Didn't mean to buy more today, but HMV had the 2CD digibook reissue of Bowie's really very good Outside from '95 at only £11, so what the hell. CD2 has 5 versions of The Heart's Filthy Lesson on it (anyone remember how fabulous it sounded in the cinema at the end of Se7en? I wonder if that is one of the remixes, it did have a harder edge to it, as I recall), and 4 of Hallo Spaceboy.

Managed to resist buying Stage and David Live, though, both sitting there looking very enticing.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more