Random Thoughts

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I dig the new Sigur Ros video.

http://www.sigur-ros.co.uk/media/dldvideo.php
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Bittersweet is finding a vhs copy of the wonderfully weird Brando/Nicholson western The Missouri Breaks for $4 and discovering that the tape has a persistent static-y hum throughout the entire film.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

spooky girlfriend wrote:Verbal, you sure you might not fancy that suit yourself?
Ordinarily I would but it's not my colour. And I did buy a nice red velvet pimp suit with zebra stripes, a matching hat and cane for my brother's wedding reception earlier in the year.

This is true.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Today is/would have been my 14th wedding anniversary. I wonder if I will actually be divorced a year from now-- probably. Very weird and sad.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

tomorrow is the first day of fall, which is, for me, like going casket shopping.

SMM, let's go get some margaritas. or cosmopolitans. no eggnog.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

The two questions on my mind:
1-When am I going to get my security deposit back from the apartment I vacated last month?
2-How much is the landlady going to gouge out of it?

The answers to neither of these questions are forthcoming.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Moody, you're on! (Though I confess to loving autumn.)

MBA, legally she owes the whole thing to you PLUS whatever it earned in escrow. Unless you bashed a big hole in her wall or something during a wild party of a fit of pique.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Unfortunately, I think my roommate bashed several holes in the hallway during a wild fit of cheap movers. Arg.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

MBA wrote
The two questions on my mind:
1-When am I going to get my security deposit back from the apartment I vacated last month?
2-How much is the landlady going to gouge out of it?
I'm worried about the same thing - even after I talked to the estate agent yesterday. She wasn't very reassuring as she tried to reassured me with a "no worries, just deducting a few quid for the carpet cleansing, we'll be crediting your account in the next day or two."
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Today is the first anniversary of the death of a dear friend. Can't believe a whole year has gone. Can't believe I'll never see him again.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
verena

Post by verena »

And I am seriously jet lagged.

T's why I thought I could as well drop for Otis a line or two. You say you can't believe you will never see your friend again.
I think you do, or perhaps more to the point, you want to believe, because you think you should. Obviously, he or she is gone. The real problem could be that you do not accept that fact, not yet. I shall not intrude on that.

But I have one question : why do you think you should "try" to believe anything there ? If it makes you suffer, why not drop the question or at least, the effort ? Isn't it useless ? There is no answer we can access anyway.

I know some on the subject, and did benefit from a new experience just a few months ago. Last Spring, two of my friends died within a short period of time, and each of them not in a nice way. Well, I accept the pain but apart from that I do nothing. I am not "trying" in any way. I don't think. I just remember them. The result is very peaceful.
Last, but not least : I know it is hard, particularly for strong people, but if you can manage to shed a tear or two, let me tell you something : it helps. Give your sorry butt a break, man !

Hope I have not been annoying.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Sympathaties to both of you.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Today is the first anniversary of the death of a dear friend. Can't believe a whole year has gone. Can't believe I'll never see him again.
... I feel the same way about my dog. I'm going to have a heart attack when the 1 year anniversary passes. But we gotta be strong, Otis. :cry:
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

verena wrote:Hope I have not been annoying.
No. Thanks. Thoughts appreciated. I found I accepted his death quite quickly after the funeral, which brought definite closure, but what I meant was more a year on you find yourself thinking 'what is a human being?' and it seems somehow impossible that there can be life and then no life. So even though obviously I know I'll never see him again and am used to that, there's always an element of it not seeming possible that this should be the case. The human condition, is all.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I have to give a speech/toast at my uncle's wedding reception tomorrow - closest thing to best man I suppose. Wrote it out last night and ran through it a few times since - I think it's pretty good, and not too long. Just the ending toast part that I'm having problems with. Anyone have any good wedding toasts that are not in poor taste?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Of course there's always the standard:

"May you always be as happy as you are today."

I'll keep thinking.
verbal gymnastics

spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Yeah, heaven knows Verbal has been to enough stag parties and weddings during the past couple of years. He should be an expert on the subject. :lol:
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I think I've got something worked out. Thanks all. I guess the best policy is just to speak from the heart, without forgetting to add some humor. This is a little bit of an unusual circumstance, as my uncle is much older than me and has been married once before, so I can't tell embarrassing stories about our college days.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
verbal gymnastics

I've never used the website - I just did a Google search and had a quick look.

Being the type of person who holds onto such things, I was looking at invitations the other day and established that I've been to over 80 weddings. And of course that doesn't include the weddings I've not been able to attend. I've had weekends where I've been to a wedding on a Friday and Saturday, or in one instance where I went to a wedding 200 miles away, stayed for the service and then came home for a different wedding reception in the evening. It's an important day for people so if people are kind enough to ask you then you should make every effort to attend.

And as for the stag parties...some things are best left unspoken.

Hope it all goes well WSS.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Hope it all goes well WSS.
Thanks verbal. Really looking forward to it - my mother out from Seattle, all of the bride's family there as well. Her brother, James Levine, is the music director of the Boston Symphony Orchestra and the the Metropolitian Opera, so I am a little nervous.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Wow, James Levine? That conductor with the puffy hair?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Yep, the same. This guy:

His sister's a sweetheart.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Blue...do you think Maestro Levine ever won a prize for his hair?
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I believe he competes in the annual Arthur Fiedler Open.