Random Thoughts

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

The Miracle of Morgan's Creek was released sixty-one years ago and no American comedy that's come along since has been able to top it.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

hugs to Gilli - I remember that feeling too well.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Ditto those hugs, Gilli. Wish I lived closer and we could commiserate properly!

I was just enjoying hanging out with my boy on what I thought must be the last soccer-free Saturday morning of the season (I haven't received the schedule yet) when I got a call from my ex, who runs the soccer program, inquiring where said son was for practice. It would've been nice if I'd had some notice.

On a more random note, Ugh. I give the fuck up.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Ugh! How unlucky did you get to have your ex in charge of your son's team? That sucks. I'm glad our ex's live out of town.

And Gilli, sorry. Hugs from me to you.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

spooky girlfriend wrote:Ugh! How unlucky did you get to have your ex in charge of your son's team? That sucks.
He volunteered to do it largely to get my son more enthused about playing (he ain't a natural), and to be fair, it's nice of him to do it. I get along very well with my ex generally, and he's a fantastic dad, for which I'm grateful. But it's still annoying as fuck to get an indignant call about something I'd received no notice of. Eh. It's all little crap, you know? I'm just down. It'll pass, by necessity.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

selfmademug wrote:Eh. It's all little crap, you know? I'm just down. It'll pass, by necessity.
It's a beautiful day smm. Go take a nice walk along the Charles - that'll clear your head.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
bobster

Post by bobster »

Selfmade Mug and Gilli --

Any parent who manages to raise a kid who's not deeply ashamed of them at age 20 or so has performed a near-impossible task. Major league bonus points if they actually enjoy your company even briefly. You guys are heroes.
El Vez wrote:The Miracle of Morgan's Creek was released sixty-one years ago and no American comedy that's come along since has been able to top it.
The Force is strong in this one.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

bobster wrote:Any parent who manages to raise a kid who's not deeply ashamed of them at age 20 or so has performed a near-impossible task. Major league bonus points if they actually enjoy your company even briefly. You guys are heroes.
Well I haven't quite made it to 7 yet, but thank you. We had such a lovely day together today (post soccer fuck-up) and his Daddy had to literally pry him off me when we did our weekly Saturday evening swap. The little guy was sobbing and of course after I left, so was I.

BTW I shared your Python comment with him (about not losing Canada but gaining Mexico, in a very real and legally binding sense) and he cracked up, as I had just this week introduced him (too early I'm sure) to MPATHG.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

BOBSTER: Thank you for the compliment but im afraid I cant really take much credit - he is such a loveable 16 year old. Not an ounce of trouble right from birth and hes always cheerful - not your typical teenager at all! Add to that hes kind, thoughtful careing and a wicked sense of humour -whats not to love? No wonder I miss him. :(
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I love the smell of bacon on a Sunday morning.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:I love the smell of bacon on a Sunday morning.
True dat.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Do you mean cooking bacon or are you a secret raw meat sniffer?
signed with love and vicious kisses
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Who said anything about "secret?"
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:Do you mean cooking bacon or are you a secret raw meat sniffer?
Does it need to be either/or?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I hate the disingenuousness of posts that pretend they're primarily for the benefit of their addressees when they're not.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

The death toll from tragic events seems to have little impact on how a tragedy works itself into our national conciousness. As the Katrina story begins to be told (we are on about page 15 of War in Peace in terms of the story of Katrina) it looks like the number of dead will be a fraction (< 1/6 maybe) of the events of September 11, 2001. However, in many ways, the impact of Katrina and what it has revealed about the folly of Homeland Security and FEMA, post 9/11. may be more important to our futures than any other event int he last 50 years (since WWII). After 9/11, the "it can't happen here" excuse worked because we were all equally stunned by the scope of the attack on our soil, and the deaths of thousands. Considering that a possible outcome of that tragedy SHOULD have been a well-oiled machine ready to spring to immediate action to serve the masses should anything...ANYTHING like that event occur again, and then finding that nothing really substantial has been done with Homeland security, is a sobering thought.

I am pissed, and expect more out of our elected representatives.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Mind of Mencia is one spectacularly unfunny show.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

El Vez wrote:Mind of Mencia is one spectacularly unfunny show.
It's awful, ain't it? Really painful to watch.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

I just hate that kind of comedy. People who hold up a newspaper and go "Isn't this guy retarded?" It's terrible, it's lazy, it has no humanity and, worst of all, it ain't funny. Plus, the whole entirely undeserved boasting about being some kind of "I'm saying the things you're too afraid to say" trailblazer when all you're doing is repackaging the same tired ass ethnic jokes.....makes me wanna reach for the shotgun.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

How could anyone not like the song "Patches." Totally ridiculous.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Just watching the rerun of the Daily Show and Lewis Black's most recent rant. Damn he's funny!
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

The panel discussion on The Daily Show was interesting although that woman was nuttier than a wagonload of pralines.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

He IS (Lewis Black, I mean). I sometimes worry he's going to go apoplectic in the middle of it, like John Belushi on Weekend Update, only for real... but one hopes its affected!

Another random thought re TV: I finally got to see the special Red Sox episode of Queer Eye For the Straight Guy. Priceless. Kevin Millar gets the closet case award; I think he and Carson were in love at show's end. And it was just great seeing Jason Varitek getting his back waxed. And who knew that Johnny Damon had a STYLIST? I mean, outside the show?!? He's an odd bird. But you gotta love him.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

El Vez wrote:The panel discussion on The Daily Show was interesting although that woman was nuttier than a wagonload of pralines.
Nuttier than a Christmas fruitcake for sure. I was embarassed for her. What a loon. Stewert couldn't wait to get rid of her.

Black was so funny saying, "Come on kids. If we hurry, we can sacrifice your little sister at the Hoover Dam!"
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Wanda Sykes was on Leno last night, and very funny (very liberal and, consistent with the liberal marching orders, on the attack. No solutions. No better answers. Just attack and worry about details later).
Still she had some great lines, and I love her delivery. Her character on Curb Your Enthusiasm is not much of a stretch for her.

While I disagree with her politics, she had a funny line last night:

She said:" I blame all the American People. If you give a blind man the keys to your car, don't be surprised when he tells you he wrecked it" I know that it isn't new, but her delivery was just perfect. Leno was having trouble keeping it together.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)